Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tin of chick peas

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

fitzcoff wrote: »
    @joewicklow

Hi can you put up the link again for the chana recipe, that link doesn't appear to be bringing up the recipe
    Works for me OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I wonder if it is because they are shallow fried? I usually try and deep fry them and they just dissolved into tiny pieces.

yeah I pretty much always shallow fry; dont think they hold up well in the fryer! Some use egg to bind if deep-frying, but I find that gives them an odd, wet texture.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭joewicklow

fitzcoff wrote: »
    @joewicklow

Hi can you put up the link again for the chana recipe, that link doesn't appear to be bringing up the recipe

The site seems to have disappeared...

Anyhoo, I found it on Google in the first place, it wasn't much different than the thousands of recipes that are available online.

The reason I put potatoes in was just the Irish Man inside me refusing to budge. I would prefer to cook it from scratch with the original ingredients though. I t makes it easier to adjust the taste exactly how you like it.

ps. dont forget to get Naan bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

joewicklow wrote: »
    The reason I put potatoes in was just the Irish Man inside me refusing to budge.

Oh did you do that recipe page yourself? Fair play. In that case if you're including potatoes it's Aloo Chana Masala. Your own invention.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Well I found a big bag of dried chickpeas so soaked them overnight and cooked them in the pressure cooker this morning for 20 mins.
    Made them up with lemon juice, garlic, scallions, toasted and ground coriander & cumin seed and shallow fried them, they stayed together alright but soaked a load of oil up.
    I have a recipe for baked ones and will try that next.
    I made some heap of them probably about 30 each about 2"in dia!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

Chickpeas are really good with chilli con carne, as well as red kidney beans.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/beef-recipes/good-old-chilli-con-carne

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭joewicklow

eightyfish wrote: »
    Oh did you do that recipe page yourself? Fair play. In that case if you're including potatoes it's Aloo Chana Masala. Your own invention.

Not my recipe but ive made it so often i sometimes think its mine! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

joewicklow wrote: »
    Not my recipe but ive made it so often i sometimes think its mine! :D

Give it a try with the spice mix if you want, and let me know the comparison between the dishes. Leave out the potatoes. I cook Indian 3 nights a week, have a press full of spices, but still think the spice mix version is superior. MDH brand. Along with pharatas and bombay potatoes. Let me know what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Chickpeas make a nice snack - just squeeze some lemon juice over them, warm them in the microwave for 30 seconds to a minute then add some sea salt and a drop of olive oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Galwaymother

My invention! It's not authentic, but delicious. Great for a buffet party.
    Big list of ingredients, but most are in your fridge or cupboard, I'm sure!
    Very little work involved, and it keeps well for two days.

Two cans of chick peas, drained and rinsed
    A small bowl of green olives, stuffed with almonds if possible, cut in two if they're big
    One or two cans of artichokes hearts, depending on taste, drained, rinsed and quartered.
    One green pepper and one red pepper, diced.
    One smallish onion, minced (or shallots)
    One clove of garlic, minced (optional)
    One green chilli (optional), minced
    A good handful of coriander leaves, minced
    One block of Halloumi cheese, diced (optional)
    One or two handfuls of salted almonds, or dry-fry them yourself (optional)
    Salt, pepper, paprika, tabasco (optional)
    One tablespoon of lemon juice
    Possible dressings: half mayonnaise, half yogurt, or olive oil vinaigrette made with lemon!

Mix it all up, except the salted almonds, at least half an hour before serving for the tastes to mingle. Serve at room temperature. Add the almonds just before serving.
    You'll get great compliments for little work...

• Advertisement
Advertisement