Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiring small boats on the corrib?

Options
  • 26-04-2010 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi! Does anyone know if you can hire a small (2 - 3 people) row or motor boat from Galway city - perhaps woodquay? to take up the corrib on a day picnic jaunt?
    If you know where, a phone number, roughly how much, that would be great, I'd love go for a picnic on the water!
    Thanks,
    Nina

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Not exactly sure but I think down near woodquay you may be able to hire small rowboats. Your best bet is to PM John Cleary, he would probably know.

You might have to pay a fee for that info though...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Don't think they hire boats there anymore. Nearest place to hire a lake boat is probably Ballindiff Bay. Tbh the islands on the upper lake are better for having a picnic on anyway.If I was going to do it I'd hire a boat from Oughterard or Cong and head to Inchagoill island for a picnic and have a look around - lots of history on the island. Keep an eye on your food though, plenty of rats around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Zzippy wrote: »
    Keep an eye on your food though, plenty of rats around!

:eek::eek::eek:

/thinks of rats stealing picnic food

*shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

You cannot hire anything with an engine on the River Corrib.
    The Nally's used to hire out little timber rowing boats on the river at Woodquay, but not sure if that's done anymore.

Take Zzippy's advise and go to the upper Corrib. Hire a boat from Cong (Ashford Boat Hire comes to mind) and head towards any of the islands (Inchagoill being the most popular, has a pier etc.) One thing I will say: TAKE YOUR RUBBISH WITH YOU. The amount of ignorant pigs I see leaving their rubbish behind is disgusting. I chased after one group last summer and threw their rubbish into their boat. They seemed shocked when they were expected to take their own rubbish :mad:

As for the rats - the mink have most of them eaten so they're not really a problem anymore, but there's still the odd one about. Again, if you TAKE YOUR RUBBISH with you and don't leave any food bits around, there will be nothing for the rats to eat... it's all a vicious circle!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

JohnCleary wrote: »
    You cannot hire anything with an engine on the River Corrib.

is that just on the river? a good few years ago I remember seeing a sign a few miles down the glan road out of Oughterard heading towards Drumnakill (where I used to go) and there was a lad renting boats, pretty sure they had engines but could be wrong..

• Advertisement

alexlyons wrote: »
    is that just on the river? a good few years ago I remember seeing a sign a few miles down the glan road out of Oughterard heading towards Drumnakill (where I used to go) and there was a lad renting boats, pretty sure they had engines but could be wrong..

That's on the lake, I think JC meant the River Corrib as in Galway City. Plenty of boats for hire with engines up on the lake, you'd be rowing for a long time to get anywhere!

That's on the lake, I think JC meant the River Corrib as in Galway City. Plenty of boats for hire with engines up on the lake, you'd be rowing for a long time to get anywhere!

ha ye I knew that was on the lake, was curious as to whether you couldn't hire boats on the lake either, I haven't been there in a few years,think it's time for a trip back, although we've no house their anymore, which is a major shame.

Anyone know if Eamon McGeogh is still running the his butchers their? Unbelievable meat!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Here, John will lend ya his boat!

With the leaving cert coming up he wont be using it cause he will be too busy studying!

ha ye I knew that was on the lake, was curious as to whether you couldn't hire boats on the lake either, I haven't been there in a few years,think it's time for a trip back, although we've no house their anymore, which is a major shame.

Anyone know if Eamon McGeogh is still running the his butchers their? Unbelievable meat!

Yep, McGeoghs is still there. The dried lamb is sooo tasty! Doing lots of speciality sausages too...

Yep, McGeoghs is still there. The dried lamb is sooo tasty! Doing lots of speciality sausages too...

Wonderful! James makes some seriously good sausage rolls!. If your in there in the next while, tell either of them that Margaret Roche's son was asking for him, the photographer ;)

• Advertisement

There's no law against it. I just meant that no one actually hires boats with engines on the river

skelliser wrote: »
    Here, John will lend ya his boat!

With the leaving cert coming up he wont be using it cause he will be too busy studying!

No problem, i'll lend it to anyone... that gives me a €50k deposit so I can get a replacement when they sink it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭NMoore

Thanks for the advice! I'll look into it...and let you know if I have a successful boat hire. Rats don't freak me out, but wow! Can't imagine them being bold enough to steal from a picnic!

I always take my rubbish...
    Actually chase after others with theirs as well...

About a month ago, I was walking down the canal path in Galway, and saw a guy up at the bridge leave his McDonald's cup on top of the post...he was walking towards me, and i politely reminded him that he had left his cup behind, and pointed out that there was a bin 10 feet away anyway that he could use! Well, shall we say he was unimpressed at best... said "Isn't it nice that we have the English coming over here and telling us what to do...!" amongst other things... (I have a UK accent from growing up there). I was thinking isn't it a shame we have to! galway was looking particularly beautiful that day, and i thought it was awful that he'd litter one of the prettiest spots in town, and set such a bad example to his kid whilst he was at it...

The amount of casual littering drives me nuts! When I'm cycling, I always want to pick up the fag butts people throw out their car windows and throw them back into the car at them too...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

NMoore wrote: »
    Hi! Does anyone know if you can hire a small (2 - 3 people) row or motor boat from Galway city - perhaps woodquay? to take up the corrib on a day picnic jaunt?
    If you know where, a phone number, roughly how much, that would be great, I'd love go for a picnic on the water!
    Thanks,
    Nina

there is an old guy who lives in woodquay and he has or had boats. the price can be arranged. anyone around there will be able to help you.

you can make the lake in less than 40 mins with a rowing boat.

Fuinseog wrote: »

You'd want to be fairly fit if rowing a lake boat. It's 3nm (so 3.3 miles) and you'd be rowing against a current. And when you reach the lower lake there's nothing interesting anyhow

Fuinseog wrote: »

I meant on the lake - its a vast expanse of water, so you would be rowing a good while to get anywhere. As for making the lake in 40 mins, I'd like to see you do it in a hired lake boat!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

I think the 'oul fella' who used to rent the boats has retired (they were £2 per hour, per person and you could get up to Menlo, swim, and back in that time). However I do belive the folk in the house opposite the rowing club (the t-shirt printers) were doing it after. I met my friend about two/three summers ago and she was renting them out for them. I could be wrong in the details but I'm trying to get information myself so I'll try and find out...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭collidgedosser

So does anybody have any up to date info on the situation, Im from Galway originally and I remember renting the boats in woodquay when I was a kid. Id like to bring my girlfriend out on the river the next time im down home.
    Also can anybody provide any info on boat rentals further up the lake at somewhere like oughterard? A small engine would be handy too so I could actually enjoy the day, I think the idea of a picnic on one of the islands would be nice.

Your best bet is to get in touch with the McNally's who have a small TShirt printing shop opposite the Galway Rowing Club clubhouse at Woodquay. They used to rent the boats from there.

Haven't been on the river enough this 'summer' to notice any of the rental boats out, but it's worth calling down and asking anyhow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

You will get a very nice half day out of going up the river as far as the lake. As John says, not much to see up there, unless your going out from oughterard or cong etc. The lake can also be a bit intimidating if your new to it, but the river is manageable with plenty of other people about.

If your not familiar with being on the water on your own, read up on the basics. You wont get much speed on your little boat but there are plenty of dangerous spots. Let someone know where you are going and keep an eye out for the corrib princess, the rowers, and the usual mix of clueless idiots in cruisers. Finally always wear your lifejacket.

have a good one,

James

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

What was the scéal here? We're looking to rent a boat or two this weekend - any further info gleaned, collidgedosser?

i think the old guy who rented them out passed away. insurance could be an issue for anyone starting to restart the business.

Advertisement