Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mike O'Dwyer Motors - Is it closing?

Options
  • 26-04-2010 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭

The reason I ask is it closing was that there were two car transporters in front of me on the M7 bypass this evening full of used cars heading away from Limerick. They were all Mike O'Dwyer used cars.

Is their trouble ahead for him? Not a lot of good luck on that road recently.

Also, Ennis Road Motors aka the ICR Group / Irish Car Rental came out of adminstration recently and are back on the road to recovery

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Also Berty, Enterprise Cars front lot was very empty yesterday evening on the way home from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Twin-go wrote: »
    Also Berty, Enterprise Cars front lot was very empty yesterday evening on the way home from work.

Ya there was a thread on that last week. It's gone busto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Ya there was a thread on that last week. It's gone busto.

Thanks, missed that thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=65567509

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Berty wrote: »
    The reason I ask is it closing was that there were two car transporters in front of me on the M7 bypass this evening full of used cars heading away from Limerick. They were all Mike O'Dwyer used cars.

Is their trouble ahead for him? Not a lot of good luck on that road recently.

Also, Ennis Road Motors aka the ICR Group / Irish Car Rental came out of adminstration recently and are back on the road to recovery

I passed there a little while ago and there still is a good lot of cars outside the front. They are not listed on the Mazda dealer network on the Mazda website though. I hope they are okay.
    On a side note there is a really nice Mazda 6 MPS down there that has been tempting me for ages.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

h3000 wrote: »
    I passed there a little while ago and there still is a good lot of cars outside the front. They are not listed on the Mazda dealer network on the Mazda website though. I hope they are okay.
    On a side note there is a really nice Mazda 6 MPS down there that has been tempting me for ages.

Just had a quick look on carzone.ie. The list of cars for sale there has dropped to only 32 now and it was over 80.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

They dropped the price of the red Mazda 3 MPS by around €13,000 unregistered recently because a new facelifted one came out. Is the 6 a facefift as well or not?

If not then these two cars alone are probably upsetting to see on the balance sheets. :eek:

Terrible showroom. If Mazda wanted a true prescense in Limerick then they should have O'Mara Motors / LMC type of showroom to really highlight the dealership.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Just had a quick look on carzone.ie. The list of cars for sale there has dropped to only 32 now and it was over 80.

Thats a bit unusual alright.
    They dropped the price of the red Mazda 3 MPS by around €13,000 unregistered recently because a new facelifted one came out. Is the 6 a facefift as well or not?

The 6 is second hand (07).
    Terrible showroom. If Mazda wanted a true prescense in Limerick then they should have O'Mara Motors / LMC type of showroom to really highlight the dealership.

Yeah it never looked great down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If not then these two cars alone are probably upsetting to see on the balance sheets. :eek:

The 3 MPS dropped by so much because it falls under the highest Co2 motor tax bracket at around €2k per year making it pretty much sale proof in this country.

Mazda did have a brand new showroom when Frank Hogan had the dealership prior to O'Dwyers taking it over. Mazda were never huge volume sellers anyway on the same scale as Toyota or Ford for example.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Mazda did have a brand new showroom when Frank Hogan had the dealership prior to O'Dwyers taking it over. Mazda were never huge volume sellers anyway on the same scale as Toyota or Ford for example.

Neither is Hyundai but Limerick Motor Centre didn't do too badly and the new IX-35 should sell quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

the dealership on the ballysimon roundabout has 3 advantages over mike o dwyers, pat o meara a modern showroom etc, plus a better pitch.

• Advertisement

flutered wrote: »
    the dealership on the ballysimon roundabout has 3 advantages over mike o dwyers, pat o meara a modern showroom etc, plus a better pitch.

Also on the dealership side of the city with millions invested in the building and more importantly with an older clientele who tend to weather downturns in the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I don't think LMC are that much cheaper. I pass that place every week on my walking route and I am looking at the same cars sitting there since well before Christmas. He has a pretty basic 2005 BMW 520d and is looking for almost €22k for it, that will get you a decent spec 06 model elsewhere. He also has a 08 Mondeo and asking for €17k, Frank Hogan has a similar model and asking for €15k. Some of these dealers need to step outside their glass palaces and get real.

The only real bargains to be had are with a back pocket full of money and nothing to trade in.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭cul-2008

thats great news, something good happening for a change!

Not looking good for Mike O'Dwyer's. There are only 6 cars listed on carzone now.

http://www.carzone.ie/car-dealers/Limerick/Mike-O%27Dwyer-Motors-Ltd.?searchsource=browse

h3000 wrote: »
    Not looking good for Mike O'Dwyer's. There are only 6 cars listed on carzone now.

http://www.carzone.ie/car-dealers/Limerick/Mike-O%27Dwyer-Motors-Ltd.?searchsource=browse

I feel sorry for anybody who loses their job, the owner included but I don't think Limerick will miss a Mazda dealership. If somebody else steps up and builds a nice new place someplace else then great.

Mike O'Dywer was recently supposed to move into Blackberry Retail Park but that Retail park stalled after the first 3 buildings and the private hospital never arrived as the owner's investment company went BANG.

Advertisement