Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PHONES IN THE HAND

• 26-04-2010 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

im so fed up with the twats who have their hand held phones glued to the ear, i do drive alot during the day like bring kids to school , bring hubbie to work at 3am etc. for every car that i pass , one in 5 have the phone to the ear, mostley its jeeps. i always know who the ones that im behind are on the phone as in THE ELBOW LEANING ON WINDOW while going left. the head bent on the shoulder with phone between leaning right over the passenger seat, saw that yesterday. who admits here by getting caught while on the fone.? oh to be a plain cloths garda. do ye realise that you are drivng a killing machine that you are in charge of. one wrong mistake you could be a killer.:mad:sorry for the long winded post but there is a law that you cant use hand held phones.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭dnme

I also notce more and more motorists using their phones hand held. On the M6 on Saturday, A car came up behind me, middle aged woman, she sat behind me for about 3 miles using her phone, I eventually gradually slowed to 40mph to force her to overtake (it was an empty motorway and she decided to stick to me), as she was overtaking, I tooted at her and gestured hand to ear, she carried on.

I am forever spotting white van man on his phone and also a lot of lorry drivers and young lads in charge of huge tractor/trailer rigs.

I'm starting to get really pissed off at these selfish inconsiderate tossers, especially when they drive behind me putting me at risk.

INSTALL HANDS-FREE OR SWITCH THE FCUKING THING OFF!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭itsonlywords

dnme wrote: »
    I also notce more and more motorists using their phones hand held. On the M6 on Saturday, A car came up behind me, middle aged woman, she sat behind me for about 3 miles using her phone, I eventually gradually slowed to 40mph to force her to overtake (it was an empty motorway and she decided to stick to me), as she was overtaking, I tooted at her and gestured hand to ear, she carried on.

I am forever spotting white van man on his phone and also a lot of lorry drivers and young lads in charge of huge tractor/trailer rigs.

I'm starting to get really pissed off at these selfish inconsiderate tossers, especially when they drive behind me putting me at risk.

INSTALL HANDS-FREE OR SWITCH THE FCUKING THING OFF!!!
    Totally agree with you. Last week in Waterford I saw a guard coming out of the station obviously going off duty in his civvy car and he had a phone to his ear.This is a common occurance and in police cars also. How are we expected to behave when they insist on law breaking daily? Wish I had my camera with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I agree i cant understand it as hands free kits are dirt cheap these days. Anytime im ordering a vehicle the first thing is a h/f. What really baffles me is people driving new mercs/bmw with the phone up to the ear. Surley if you can afford a good car you can buy a h/f kit. Fair play blond 45 your lookin after your truckin hubby all the time:);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭T83

This is a common occurance and in police cars also. How are we expected to behave when they insist on law breaking daily? Wish I had my camera with me.

Because that law doesnt apply to them, they're allowed use their phones while driving. Pissed me off when I first heard it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

T83 wrote: »
    Because that law doesnt apply to them, they're allowed use their phones while driving. Pissed me off when I first heard it.
    Yah that law is stupid. A Gardai can kill someone just as easy as anyone. Half the time there another Gardai sitting in the pasenger seat, why cant he she answer the phone?

Driving with a phone is stupid regardless of who you are. I see a lot of truck drivers are still at it aswell.

• Advertisement

another prong to the argument is that I have studied human cognition and so I have a little learning as to how we work when it comes to brain/interfaces/perception/concentration etc.

All the studies carried out that suggest that using a phone while driving is dangerous are absolutely accurate. And of course the most lethal form of usage is texting while driving.

If you see a driver near you (particularly behind you) using a phone you, are are at an increased risk from them.

another prong to the argument is that I have studied human cognition and so I have a little learning as to how we work when it comes to brain/interfaces/perception/concentration etc.

All the studies carried out that suggest that using a phone while driving is dangerous are absolutely accurate. And of course the most lethal form of usage is texting while driving.

If you see a driver near you (particularly behind you) using a phone you, are are at an increased risk from them.

Texting is lethal why dont the goverment up the points for this offence they did in uk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

What really, REALLY irks me is, and I bet you've seen them, is the ones that you know they have the phone on loudspeaker, and hold the phone 3 inches from the front of their face, and blabber on without a care in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

All the studies carried out that suggest that using a phone while driving is dangerous are absolutely accurate.
    Absolutely, and apparently studies show that using a hands-free kit is no less dangerous. It's the conversation rather than the holding of the phone that's the distraction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Anan1 wrote: »
    Absolutely, and apparently studies show that using a hands-free kit is no less dangerous. It's the conversation rather than the holding of the phone that's the distraction.

I think you got that wrong. The majority of the risk is in the conversation, however increased risk of something going wrong, doesn't mean increased risk of accident.

Having two free hands means you have a larger margin for error.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

This is the much quoted study by Applied Cognition Laboratory in the University of Utah. It used a driving simulator and as such does not mimic real life where people will likely moderate their behaviour due to the acute risk of dying in a big fireball.

A New Zealand study found in-car entertainment having greater impact than hands free kits. So should we ban car radios? (for the record, I'm OK with a blanket ban on Gerry Ryan)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I traded in a car with 2 handsfree kits, how contactable do you need to be :confused:

Notice a lot of high end cars and people with phones up to their ear. crazy when bluetooth comes free with feckin Micras these days.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I traded in a car with 2 handsfree kits, how contactable do you need to be :confused:

Notice a lot of high end cars and people with phones up to their ear. crazy when bluetooth comes free with feckin Micras these days.

I said that above colm. I hate having the phone up to my ear anyway even when not driving. I hate phones full stop:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

You can get visor bluetooth kits now for €50, and cheaper again if you go online. The one that drives me mad are guys with their phone on speaker mode, holding it in their hand.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You can get visor bluetooth kits now for €50, and cheaper again if you go online. The one that drives me mad are guys with their phone on speaker mode, holding it in their hand.

You can get a simple bluetooth device for less than half that.

There really is no excuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

I normally pop my phone onto speaker phone and throw the phone into a cubby hole or the ash tray or on the seat between my legs (yes I know that sound strange:))

Would be nice having a retrofitted bluetooth but, not bothered until then.

Can't understand why people still need to have phone up to their ear when there's a loud speaker on 90% of phones nowadays, and another portion of that have bluetooth in the car as well.

And on the Garda topic, they're far more qualified/experienced in driving than... Mary who's doing her makeup whilst discussing her plans for the weekend with Patricia with the phone up to her ear.
    So yeah, I think it's probably ok that the Gardai get away with using the phone while they drive the odd time.

Anyone that rings me with that phone speaker thing i hang up because they are whooing and haahing at everything you say. They then have the cheek to tell you theres something wrong with your hands free:mad::mad:

SARASON wrote: »
    Anyone that rings me with that phone speaker thing i hang up because they are whooing and haahing at everything you say. They then have the cheek to tell you theres something wrong with your hands free:mad::mad:

Rofl, never heard of that one but maybe they're bad phones? :)

I put the phone on speaker solely for the purpose of telling the other person that I'm driving, and unless it's something of great importance, I'll talk to them later.

So, the fact that I'm shouting at the phone from a distance doesn't really come into the conversation but as far as I'm aware, I can be heard clearly on their end so it's all good. :)

Vertakill wrote: »
    Rofl, never heard of that one but maybe they're bad phones? :)

I put the phone on speaker solely for the purpose of telling the other person that I'm driving, and unless it's something of great importance, I'll talk to them later.

So, the fact that I'm shouting at the phone from a distance doesn't really come into the conversation but as far as I'm aware, I can be heard clearly on their end so it's all good. :)

Well thats different in fairness. You cannot have a proper conversation though when the phone is far away. I often see my brother rings me, leaves the phone on speaker and then walks away round the house talkin away...:rolleyes:. maybe im just turning in to a cranky old man;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

What really, REALLY irks me is, and I bet you've seen them, is the ones that you know they have the phone on loudspeaker, and hold the phone 3 inches from the front of their face, and blabber on without a care in the world.

But, that is the cool way to do it. :rolleyes:

Don't you watch TV? This is how it is done on shows like 'The Apprentice'.

• Advertisement

Well thats different in fairness. You cannot have a proper conversation though when the phone is far away. I often see my brother rings me, leaves the phone on speaker and then walks away round the house talkin away...:rolleyes:. maybe im just turning in to a cranky old man;)

Hahaha well that's different. My car's not quite the same size as a house so... :) My phones decent and it's only about 2-3 ft max away from my head so it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

I agree i cant understand it as hands free kits are dirt cheap these days. Anytime im ordering a vehicle the first thing is a h/f. What really baffles me is people driving new mercs/bmw with the phone up to the ear. Surley if you can afford a good car you can buy a h/f kit. Fair play blond 45 your lookin after your truckin hubby all the time:);)
    im with you there sarason, truckin hubbie has a hands free kit in truck, he is not like the rest of the trucks or whitevan drivers. he sees some tools going over the middle of road on there 'death chat machines.',

there 'death chat machines.',

HA ha your gas...:D

errlloyd wrote: »
    I think you got that wrong. The majority of the risk is in the conversation, however increased risk of something going wrong, doesn't mean increased risk of accident.

Having two free hands means you have a larger margin for error.

There have been recent inroads into the research. The act of holding the phone near ones head has the following effects . .
    1. It focuses user attention/concentration along a single narrow band (the source of the sound)
    2. It's low volume with the engine in the back ground increases this effect.

When you use hands free, you are able to focus on and concentrate on the conversation as part of a wider background of communication noise, which mimics talking to a passenger, which is reasonably safe.

Holding a phone near your head is different from using a hands free setup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

Maybe they are using the GPS on their phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

there 'death chat machines.',

HA ha your gas...:D
    im tired , im up since 5am. people dont think when they get into their cars, then the phone rings and they answer it just like at home, they think they are in the kitchen chat,n relaxen chat,n to betty who she is going to meet in 5 mins. we got on ok without them 20 yrs ago,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

P.C. wrote: »
    But, that is the cool way to do it. :rolleyes:

Don't you watch TV? This is how it is done on shows like 'The Apprentice'.

So Bill doesn't even give them Handsfree? Damn shame.

No conversation is that important. Let it ring out, or pull in and answer it.

And its getting worse, with touchscreen phones, you actually have to take your eyes completely off the road, to make sure you are pressing the right buttons. (Tried this last night, on a private road, and nearly ended up in a tree.)

Advertisement