Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HD Error - Can BootSOS help??

• 26-04-2010 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi
    I need to get some files off an old PC that doesnt boot - the hard disk grinds away when loading XP and nothing else.

I cant swap the hard disk as its an older connection - and buying an enclosure is a bit of a waste as I wont need it again.

Someone said this free Bootsos CD can boot up a PC even if the hard disk isnt loading Windows, and possibly get access to the hard disk to backup files - has anyone tried this?? Does it sound feasible?? its free from www.bootsos.com and it looks good - anyone?

TIA!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Another solution is to use a live Linux CD.
    Booting linux from the CD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

You can get a windows livecd here, www.ntfs.com, you need to download the prog and install it on a windows pc to make a bootable cdr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Daniele

I usually launch an ERD Commander with a USB pen connected at startup. It's very user friendly and intuitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Another solution is to use a live Linux CD.
    Booting linux from the CD.

+1 http://www.ubuntu.com/

Worked for me as the hard drive shows up as a removable device when you boot in. You can also plug in an external drive and get all your files on that or if you've two burners installed you can spend the rest of the day (and a rake load of dvd's) backing up that way?

Edit: Looks like you've to pay for that windows live cd!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Daniele

chin_grin wrote: »
    +1 http://www.ubuntu.com/

Edit: Looks like you've to pay for that windows live cd!?

Were winternals programs freeware before microsoft acquisition?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mmstuff

Thanks for the info guys - Ive tried and tried to burn a Bootdisc/Livecd but Ive never got one to work as yet. Ive gone for the free cd from bootsos - reading a bit more about it, its a linux Livecd too. Cost a couple of quid to have it delivered but tbh its its probably gonna be quicker than me sorting it out, lol Thanks again for the help! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

mmstuff wrote: »
    Thanks for the info guys - Ive tried and tried to burn a Bootdisc/Livecd but Ive never got one to work as yet. Ive gone for the free cd from bootsos - reading a bit more about it, its a linux Livecd too. Cost a couple of quid to have it delivered but tbh its its probably gonna be quicker than me sorting it out, lol Thanks again for the help! :)

Could you not download the ubuntu image? All you do is get the iso. Burn to a cd and it'll boot straight from it. No "tinkering" needed.

Advertisement