Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coming down to goal difference

• 26-04-2010 7:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭

This is a question I have wanted to ask for a good while now, as we all know in the premier League and Airtricity League if two teams are on level points it comes down to goal difference to seperate which team is placed highest.

But in La Liga it comes down to a head to head of who gained the most points from the games they play against each other.
    For instance Considering it is still possible for all four teams chasing fourth to have equal points it could come down to a minileague of those four and there performaces against each other.

So which is fairer? I can see the merits in both the first tells you who was able to gain the points and winning by the biggest margin and the other tells you how you did against the others who are level on points with you.

Personaly I think the latter is probably the best way to do it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

Leeds and Millwall could very well go down to goal difference, they've beaten us twice this year so I'll go for goal difference:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Goal difference for me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I think that goal difference is fairer in the context of a league. It shows a better indication of how the teams fared over the season as a whole, instead of how they did in a couple of matches.
    I think that this criteria is used at some point to break ties, if the goal difference is equal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Goal Difference based on the top 6 alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Goal difference. The league is about consistency and performances against all teams, and goal difference is the next best indicator of that after results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭larchielads

it should be goal diff 1st and if teams cant be seperated then head to head and if both teams still cant be seperated maybe a play off??:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Serie A has used the same head-to-head system as La Liga for a few seasons now but before that it went to a play-off if the top two were even on points and I think that would be the fairest way to decide it. I'm surprised that the FA's haven't tried to use this system, and that Sky hasn't tried to pressure them into it, because of the amount of money that could be made if it happened.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Goal difference is the fairest way of assessing who was best over the season (after points obviously). I disagree with goals for being used as the next tie breaker though.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Goal difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

that's the one thing I hate about la-liga is the head-to-head results

I want to see a goal fest in every match

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

It should be a play off in wembley, first team to score 5 wins.

Advertisement