Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sledge hammers

• 26-04-2010 7:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭

which ones are better. the ones with a timber of fibre glass handle

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

The ones with fiber glass handles
    I got one in aldi about two years ago Id say it will never break unless I roll over it with a tractor or something:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

timber all the way, easy to replace the handle, and fibre are dangerous as the break with out warning, you never see the cracks like in timber

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

jap gt wrote: »
    timber all the way, easy to replace the handle, and fibre are dangerous as the break with out warning, you never see the cracks like in timber

+1

Timber all the way. Will last forever and fibreglass are more expensive

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Timber all the way...the vibration in the fiber glass ones is a b*stard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭dunsandin

+1

Timber all the way. Will last forever and fibreglass are more expensive
    Oh Yeah! Timber lasts 1 day when a REAL Man gives it a lash. My personal best is 1 shot at a fence post, then handle go brokee. But then I am 6'4" and built like an outside jax. Timber also lasts 1 day when used by an employee who can break a shovel in 2 hours. The Aldi ones have some kind of plastic handle and are indestructable even in the hands of a person with the mechanical sympathy of the incredible hulk. I think if the Titanics hull had been made of the stuff the Aldi sledgehammers handles are made of, it would now be running day cruises around the isle of wight, and Celine Dion would be a lot poorer.(the REAL man bit is kind of tongue in cheek, but only kind of.)Woosies will get years out of a wooden hammer handle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭aristo

plastic handle for ftw

aristo wrote: »
    plastic handle for ftw

Frank T. Wells?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

id prefer to have a timber handle than fibreglass in case it did break. if a sledge is used properly a timber handle should last for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

aristo wrote: »
    plastic handle for ftw

plastic handle for for the win. :)

• Advertisement

Well Win can have it, Ill keep my plastic. How is it dangerous when it breaks, it never breaks,ffs. They will be the only things left, them and the cockroaches.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

we had a fibre glass but but the father cracked it six months ago and we must get a new one now. would the timber rot or could it get damp and snap if it was left out in the rain

we had a fibre glass but but the father cracked it six months ago and we must get a new one now. would the timber rot or could it get damp and snap if it was left out in the rain

the timber handle one will do fine . dont leave it out in the rain .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

All I can say is I always had a sledge with timber handles and they would last a few years until the handle would break and a replacement handle would never last as long as first day one
    Untill around 3 years ago I got one with a plastic handle from aldi for around 10 euro seemed cheap, Its still like new after 3 years and it has been left out in the rain,droped,flung into loader buckets and pickup, left up the fields and even missed the fence post I was driving hitting the handle off it instead
    It probably indistructable I was so impressed that I brought a axe and log splitting maul there with the same handles last year for 13 euro each.
    Dont know if all plastic handles are the same but the germans know how to make there tools:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

also have one from aldi, they dont break but as someone said they dont feel the same as the timber or you get a bit of vibration back the handle or something, the trouble with the timber ones is the quality of the replacement handles being sold is ****e or at least any one i have ever bought in kerry agri store broke almost as soon as it got a tip, id say if you could find a timber they are still the nicest to work with

dunsandin wrote: »
    Oh Yeah! Timber lasts 1 day when a REAL Man gives it a lash. My personal best is 1 shot at a fence post, then handle go brokee. But then I am 6'4" and built like an outside jax. Timber also lasts 1 day when used by an employee who can break a shovel in 2 hours. The Aldi ones have some kind of plastic handle and are indestructable even in the hands of a person with the mechanical sympathy of the incredible hulk. I think if the Titanics hull had been made of the stuff the Aldi sledgehammers handles are made of, it would now be running day cruises around the isle of wight, and Celine Dion would be a lot poorer.(the REAL man bit is kind of tongue in cheek, but only kind of.)Woosies will get years out of a wooden hammer handle.

when it breaks it takes like 3 minutes to put it on again and why use a sledge hammer on posts? it is so much effort.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

both a timber 12 pound sledge for e32 in the coop. plastic ones for around e45r and they seemed alot lighter. i think the equivilant was around e50

Try a digger bucket full of muck-it knocks posts in a bit quicker, deeper and more soundly, and if its a PDM post, it will still be there 10 years later. I like sledges for hitting bits of metal that need moving, and cant say I give them a lot of thought, Aldi is the place to go, they are for buttons, and you can show them to all your friends, look at my big hammer.....

dunsandin wrote: »
    Try a digger bucket full of muck-it knocks posts in a bit quicker, deeper and more soundly, and if its a PDM post, it will still be there 10 years later. I like sledges for hitting bits of metal that need moving, and cant say I give them a lot of thought, Aldi is the place to go, they are for buttons, and you can show them to all your friends, look at my big hammer.....

Yeah diggers are so effective

Advertisement