Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to go on a Sat night

Options
  • 26-04-2010 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

A friend and I will be going to KK the wknd after the bank holiday wknd. Neither of us have been in KK before and are lookin for a pub with good craic but that's not rough or rowdy, and possibly a club.......any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Pub:

Left Bank
    Andrew Ryans
    Tynan's
    Cleere's

Club:

Set Theatre
    Morrison's (I haven't been there in ages but it's an option that isn't Langtons or The Coo)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭silverwatch

Threadhead wrote: »
    Pub:

Left Bank
    Andrew Ryans
    Tynan's
    Cleere's

Club:

Set Theatre
    Morrison's (I haven't been there in ages but it's an option that isn't Langtons or The Coo)

Thanks for that. A girl @ work suggested biddy earlys but been on their site there and it looks fairly rowdy.....

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

Biddy early's would be rough enough alright, any time I pass it seems to be full of women wearing L plates, maybe it's popular with the local driving schools :confused:. Also try the pumphouse and maybe anna conda later on in the night if you don't go to a club, they stay open late and there's usually a good crowd in there once the pumphouse closes at 12.30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 the ostrich

During the day Kilkenny has a pleasant ambience, streets and shops are clean, bars and cafes are varied and plentiful and people can walk up to castle easily for lunch in the park, etc.

However, after dark, especially at weekends, all the pissheads and slappers flock into town and head straight for the pubs, and quickly get drunk, loud and unruly. .

Pavements outside pubs and clubs are jammed with smokers, who overspill into the roads, and it is a totally different atmosphere.

By around midnight punters head to the late night clubs, for yet more drink!

Finally this mayhem calms down around 3am as fleets of taxis ferry the now legless drunks home.

A great place to live!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

During the day Kilkenny has a pleasant ambience, streets and shops are clean, bars and cafes are varied and plentiful and people can walk up to castle easily for lunch in the park, etc.

However, after dark, especially at weekends, all the pissheads and slappers flock into town and head straight for the pubs, and quickly get drunk, loud and unruly. .

Pavements outside pubs and clubs are jammed with smokers, who overspill into the roads, and it is a totally different atmosphere.

Finally this mayhem calms down around 3am as fleets of taxis ferry the now legless drunks home.

A great place to live!

So just like any other town/city in Ireland then? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

other towns in ireland, with a few exceptions, are ****holes all of the time, kilkennny is only a ****hole after dark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

other towns in ireland, with a few exceptions, are ****holes all of the time, kilkennny is only a ****hole after dark.

LOL :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭silverwatch

Well kinda havin second thoughts on Kilkenny, seems to be a fairly hit or miss...........thanks for the info everyone....

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Head down to Dungarvan for the festival www.feilenandeise.com

Kilkenny is crap on Saturday night so I go to Athy in Co. Kildare, it's a mega party town. Every weekend is basically like the Burning Man festival.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

Well kinda havin second thoughts on Kilkenny, seems to be a fairly hit or miss...........thanks for the info everyone....

Silverwatch, personally I find Kilkenny a great place to go out. I normally used to go out in Waterford City but in my opinion it isn't a patch on Kilkenny. I've always thought kilkenny had a bit of a Galway vibe (only smaller obviously), and put this down to the influx of visitors who are in somewhat of a holiday spirit.

Now, like any other town there are always drunken morons around, but if you know where to go then you avoid most of this. What type of night are you looking for? If it's more a mainstream pub and club then I'd advise Left Bank and Morissons. If it's the quieter and/or alternative pubs your looking for I'd suggest Irish town/High Street area as it has loads of choice, Pumphouse, Annaconda, Cleeres, Ryans etc. I think that's one of the big advantages I find in Kilkenny, there's plenty of choice in pubs so pretty much something for everyone.

If it's a really messy, locked night you're looking for there are places too but I'm not gonna tell you about them ;-) And no I'm not part of the Kilkenny tourist board ...

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Supra lover 87

Doctors still havent found a way of pulling your head out of your ass yet no ?

Every place in the world has drunks and people who like to go out and make friends and such.

If ya want to have three glasses of wine on a night out and look down on other people and go home at half ten like the man above go to bloody france you will fit right in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

If ya want to have three glasses of wine on a night out and look down on other people and go home at half ten like the man above go to bloody france you will fit right in.

Fleva was great for a glass of wine and was especially good for looking down on people, due to its upstairs appointment on High street. Pity it's gone.

It's Mocha now and you can still drink wine and look down on people, it's amazing!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Actually bars in France generally open 'til 1am during the week and 2am on the weekend. Late bars open 'til 4 or 5 most days and night clubs go until the morning. A lot of cafés which serve alcohol open at around 5am.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Purry Cat

Every place in the world has drunks and people who like to go out and make friends and such.

Yes - because staying out all night and getting pissed and violent is such a grown-up thing to do, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

Purry Cat wrote: »
    Yes - because staying out all night and getting pissed and violent is such a grown-up thing to do, isn't it?
    However, after dark, especially at weekends, all the pissheads and slappers flock into town and head straight for the pubs, and quickly get drunk, loud and unruly.

In fairness I think some of the posts here have been, in my view, way too harsh on Kilkenny. 99% of the people who go out at the weekends have a good time and go home, causing no harm or offence to anyone. Yes there are always idiots but they are in every town and city in Ireland doing the very same thing. Try driving through cork, galway, dublin, waterford between 2-3am and you'll see the same.

your name says it all, a loser, no ambitions, just keep drawing the dole, and spend as much time possible in the pub, good luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Supra lover 87

your name says it all, a loser, no ambitions, just keep drawing the dole, and spend as much time possible in the pub, good luck to you.

What a car related name means im a loser ??? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Iv worked in kytlers inn for two years and can count how many fights iv seen on one hand.

I go out drinking every second weekend and give lifts home to my friends nearly every week and still havent seen many fights.

Good luck to you sir and your stuck up views they will get your ambitions very far in life.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

zzzzz girls, the personal stuff is of no use to the thread.
    Left Bank should have all the OP needs on the Saturday Night. Get a taxi right outside afterwards... life is good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 selena27

There are many small,crowdy pubs which are rather rough. The only bigger one would be Left Bank. If u r looking for a nightclub with adults behaving in a civilized way SET is a place to go! Stay away from Langtons.Unless u r 16 or like company of kids drinking till they end up on the floor. For food I'd recommend Vindees or Royal Spice if u fancy oriental cusine or Cafe Sol for something bit more traditional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

selena27 wrote: »
    There are many small,crowdy pubs which are rather rough. The only bigger one would be Left Bank. If u r looking for a nightclub with adults behaving in a civilized way SET is a place to go! Stay away from Langtons.Unless u r 16 or like company of kids drinking till they end up on the floor. For food I'd recommend Vindees or Royal Spice if u fancy oriental cusine or Cafe Sol for something bit more traditional.

Wouldnt really call the left bank a night club, more of a disco bar with very littel atmosphere, but it is where the older crowd go, and as advised above keep well clear of Langtons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 swifty73

Kilkenny is crap on Saturday night so I go to Athy in Co. Kildare, it's a mega party town. Every weekend is basically like the Burning Man festival.
    funny that you mention athy because thats what i call john st and rose inn st now with the 2 way traffic its like the main street in athy.as for sat nite in town people here need to stop been so clickie .chill on the drink and just enjoy been sociallable or maybe that can only be done on facebook these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

JoseJones wrote: »
    Biddy early's would be rough enough alright, any time I pass it seems to be full of women wearing L plates, maybe it's popular with the local driving schools :confused:. Also try the pumphouse and maybe anna conda later on in the night if you don't go to a club, they stay open late and there's usually a good crowd in there once the pumphouse closes at 12.30.

hehehehehahahahah drivin schools good 1 mate :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

yeh athy rocks, as if ****te hole

OP KK is a great city go out in, never seen any trouble in it late at night whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭40040D

A great place to live!

You wrote this like you've never seen drunk & "unruly" types before - have you been living under a rock ?

Are you serious ?? Here go take a look around theres a good lot of places in Ireland like this !

I know this is nothing to be proud of either, but seriously Kilkenny is not that bad a place to live and or go out in. For all the time I've been there I've had very little negative times @ night or whatever. Kilkenny people are very nice and generally very welcoming people

BTW I'd recommend Morrissons or langtons are good night clubs, Pubs; Anna-condas, or the left bank. All good spots :)

Advertisement