Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Admission to Master programmes and the Leaving Cert?

Options
  • 26-04-2010 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

When applying for a Masters or H. Dip. Do you people who decide whether or not you are accepted onto the programme usual look at what you got for the leaving cert, or is it totally based on how well you did in your degree?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭SoldierForce

Did they actually ask you for your leaving cert results!? :confused: I have never come accross a masters course which asks for your leaving cert results. I applied to a few this year and it is only the degree results they need thats why the ask for a copy of the transcript. The only way they know the leaving cert results are if you have it on your CV as sometimes that too is required. If you have too many degree and certificate qualifications the leaving cert results too are usually removed from the CV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

Did they actually ask you for your leaving cert results!? :confused: I have never come accross a masters course which asks for your leaving cert results. I applied to a few this year and it is only the degree results they need thats why the ask for a copy of the transcript. The only way they know the leaving cert results are if you have it on your CV as sometimes that too is required. If you have too many degree and certificate qualifications the leaving cert results too are usually removed from the CV.

No, I was just wondering in case I apply for one in the future. Thanks though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Penisland

I put it on my application to smurfit but was a bit worried as I didn’t get the best leaving certificate in the world. I put them in though, as I didn’t want for them to think I was hiding them

I got accepted so it worked out for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Penisland

Michaelrsh wrote: »
    Well done!! I want to do an MSc in Quant. Finance in a few years time in Smurfit.

Best advice I would have to give you is (only because I never got it/didn’t think about it myself) never forget college is a learning process and what you learn in first year, will be used in some form in your last year! Remember this and you will build your transcripts to a level that will get accepted!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 buddygit

if you are applying for a Masters - apply for more than 1 especially now that more and more are going to post grad courses. Some of them (English) only take on 15 so spread your options a bit:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Michaelrsh wrote: »
    When applying for a Masters or H. Dip. Do you people who decide whether or not you are accepted onto the programme usual look at what you got for the leaving cert, or is it totally based on how well you did in your degree?

Didn't come into it when I applied for a H. Dip. (not a teaching one), were focused on degree results. Then when applying for a research masters the main thing they were interested in were my H. Dip. results!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I honestly can't remember from when I applied for my MA, but I dropped out of secondary school without my Leaving so I guess it never came up during the application process :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 261 ✭✭blucey

your LC results are utterly irrelevant to getting into a masters. Any place that asks for same, avoid like a plague rat

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭ucdperson

The UCD MSc in Business Analytics does ask you for your Leaving Cert maths mark. This is not likely to be influential if you have a maths or engineering degree, but if you have a business degree or similar with limited maths content your LC maths grade is further evidence of quant ability. Apart from anything else in our experience anyone with an A in Honours maths can manage the programme.
    your LC results are utterly irrelevant to getting into a masters. Any place that asks for same, avoid like a plague rat

This is a gross over simplification. Perhaps you should avoid places with such simplified views on postgraduate admission!

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

Merton in Oxford wanted my friend's junior and leaving cert results, but I doubt anywhere in Ireland would be that fussy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭CJC86

blucey wrote: »

I think I had to include my Leaving Cert results for a Masters in Cambridge, so I wouldn't completely agree with that assessment. I really doubt they were that interested in them though. To be clear, I also agree that they are pretty irrelevant for a Masters, just wouldn't avoid places due to them asking for LC results.

Advertisement