Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Doctor

• 26-04-2010 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Ok, so I know it's cheesy, but I've just started watching Doctor Who last year, so I'd like who likes who (no pun intended) and why. Plus, I think Who fans enjoy talking about their favourite Doctor.

Personally, Paul McGann is my favourite Doctor, based solely on his performance in the Big Finish Audio Dramas (yes, the movie was terrible). While I don't think every story was fantastic, there were some wonderful ones and the team-up of Eight and Charley Pollard is one I've yet to see equalled in the TV stories I've seen (limited though that list is).

Obviously most of my knowledge of Doctor Who is based on the renewed series, though I have been working to rectify this by checking details online when I have a question and watching episodes of the older Doctors.

So far, I've watched Invasion of the Daleks, The Tenth Planet and The Five Doctors.

So, favourite (not best, favourite) Doctor and why?

Go!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Like you my knowledge of Doctor Who is quite limited compared to a lot of members of these boards. The only Doctors I've seen in action are 1 and 9-11.

Ten was my favourite for a very long time. I'm not sure why, there was just so much about his character I enjoyed and David Tennant is an amazing actor. Yes he had some dreadful moments of hamminess and chewing scenery but IMO the majority of this was due to bad writing and direction.

Matt smith is currently tying with Tennant. He seems to combine Ten's goofiness with One's wisdom and gravity (thee may very well be Doctors who illustrate these attributes better than Hartnell but as I said, limited knowledge). Smith also brings something of his own to the role. I'm not sure what but he is very much the Doctor rather than someone playing him if that makes any sense.

So yeah, my two favourites are ten and eleven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Haven't seen enough of 6,7 or 8 to include them in my decision and have only seen a couple of serials from 1-5 and intend to watch them all, but I really do love the earlier Doctors... And of those Doctors its really a toss up between Tom Baker and Peter Davison...
    Eccelston, however, was my first Doctor and I thought he was great and probably my favourite for the last few years - Tennant was good, but I think there was too much hype about him and Russel T. Davies ruined him by completely jumping the shark in season 4 and with the specials...
    Matt Smith, however, is fast becoming my favourite Doctor, because I think he really captures what was important about the classic Doctor Who adventures, but also captures the important aspects from 9 and 10...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Baker was among the ones I watched most as a kid, and comfortably my favourite. I must admit to having not really seen much of Tennant though, who seemed pretty good, and nothing at all of the latest guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

David Tennant was my favorite Doctor followed by Tom Baker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭LadyW

Without a doubt, David Tennant. A fantastic actor and the most "enthusiastic" Doctor ever !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Matt Smith may well prove to be my favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Chrussell2

I've just ordered dvd's on love film, I've got a few episodes from every doctors (including Pete McGann in the film) I've only ever seen the new breed of doctor, so I'm going to watch a few episodes (Try and ignore the dodgy sets, fx and aliens) and decide who is my favourite doctor.

But so far its, Tennant, Smith and Ecclestone in that order. I've a feeling that Smith will become better and better and I hope he stays on for a while!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

I love Matt Smith, he's definitely. I like David Tennant but he's tainted by Russell T Davies, I don't like him as a writer in comparison to Steven Moffit. I've never really seen the old Doctor Who, planning to watch as much as I can over the summer when I have time. But from what I have read about Peter Davidson, I'd say I'll like him a lot, I love him generally so I'd say I'd like him as the Doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Chrussell2

Ok so I got my first DVD and it was Colin Baker in 1985's Attack of the Cyber Men. I don't think he is as good as Ecclestone, Tennant or Matt Smith! The episode was a two parter and it didn't have a bad story line.

A Couple of things that I didn't like; Peri, the doctors assistant. Despite the fact that she is very hot, she absolutely did my head in! There was a point where a cyberman grabbed her from behind and I was rooting for him to rip her head off!!! The cybermen were so obviously people in silver jump-suits (But I'm trying not focus on the sets or designs as it was 25 years ago!). As a revival child, I've always seen the TARDIS as an impenetrable fortress, where no-one could get in, but in this episode, it was easily hijacked by the cybermen, which I didn't like.

As for Colin Baker, he didn't compare to what I've seen so far. He didn't seem to be very comfortable with the character and that really affected, for me, his performance.

People have said he's the worst doctor, so maybe it was lucky that his episode came through the post first! Lets see who's next!

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Cookie33

I would have to say it was David Tennant but now I think Matt Smith is in the lead. I love his mannerisms and the storylines surrounding him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

The 12th Doctor is my favourite:

lcEva.jpg

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'm still going with Tom Baker but Matt Smith is edging right up into my Top 3 after just ten episodes. His whole quirky manic nature is so very "Doctor"ish to me.
    I'd probably put Patrick Troughton in there (just finished Season 6) - Matt Smith reminds me a little of him.

Bottom of the list is Worzel Gummidge and William Hartnell...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Rowan Atkinson was always my favourite lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

The Matt Smith Doctor is my favourite.

Tennents Doctor seemed to need to rely on telling people how smart he was.

With Smith, when he says something he seems to have weight or gravitas behind him. That might be the music or the different writing styles but he seems to demand more respect. As a good Timelord should :)

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Kitty-kitty

The Matt Smith Doctor is my favourite.

With Smith, when he says something he seems to have weight or gravitas behind him. That might be the music or the different writing styles but he seems to demand more respect. As a good Timelord should :)

Really? I actually thought he has a certain kind of a lost unsure quality Tennant lacked. He seems to panic a lot over his own decisions, and the first decision seems to always be OH GOD I'M GOING TO HAVE TO SACRIFICE MYSELF.

Then again, that seems to be a common thing; the next doctor has a bit more of a fear of what killed the last one.

... except Five, who didn't really get a chance to get worked up over radio towers. He's my favourite, is Five.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭wintear

Peter Davidson was my first Doctor Who and until recently my favorite.

I have been watching the whole Jon Pertwee run and I have to say his Dashing, confident Doctor with his Venusian Karate (or Akido depending on the episode) definitely rocks.

I accept some of the effects suck (see invasion of the dinosaurs) but the stories are great. UNIT make a great supporting, Liz Shaws mini skirt makes science sexy. Inferno is very hard to beat as a story. So all in all forget he was worzel gummidge and give JP's doctor a look.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd have to say Tom Baker for me. I watched Pertwee and he was OK but even to a kids eyes it was a bit earth bound. Not enough space ships etc. Baker defo ramped up my interest, especially in the first two series. He had that great balance of otherworldly vibe, intense, intellectually aloof but still likable. Plus his chemistry with Elisabeth Sladen worked well. Even more plus she was the first serious and major crush I had. Fancied her rotten though I was only a kid :D

Davison was OK, but didnt quite appeal to me in the same way. He seemed a bit bland I suppose. Tennant of the new guys, followed by Ecclestone, smith is good, but I cant quite pin him down. I think his youth works against him. then again I'm more the usual Doctors "age" so maybe that's it :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭bigdaddyliamo

Tom Baker was and still is my top doc. Smith is growing on me after a fustrating start.

Now...would you like a jelly baby?;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Peter Davison or Sylvester McCoy would be "my doctors" but I have to say after Vincent and the Doctor and The Lodger Matt Smith is rapidly catching up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

I'd have to say that of the Doctors I've seen, Matt Smith has creeped into first place for me. Which I wasn't expecting to think when he was announced as Dr 11, I think most people here has their doubts over him, but he had me convinced 10 minutes into The Eleventh Hour, and after watching The Lodger he's top of the pile for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Peter Davison or Sylvester McCoy would be "my doctors" but I have to say after Vincent and the Doctor and The Lodger Matt Smith is rapidly catching up.
    From what I recall, you're very familiar with the original run and it's interesting to see that Matt Smith seems very popular with the long-term fanboys as well. He just has a great "Doctor-ish" quality.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

ixoy wrote: »
    From what I recall, you're very familiar with the original run and it's interesting to see that Matt Smith seems very popular with the long-term fanboys as well. He just has a great "Doctor-ish" quality.

I wouldn't say my knowledge stacks up against some of the other lads here but I was a huge who fan as a kid (Super channel on Sunday morning ftw) and I have been slowly catching up on as much classic stuff as I can, I would certainly have seen some of all the doctors and yeah, I am finding series Fnarg certainly captures alot of "Whoness" for me.

I think a big part of it is the charming akwardness of Smith's Doctor. It's like he' saving the world by accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

What I like about Smith is the young fogey thing. You get that naturally in some young men - they seem like older men in younger men's bodies. He has that, which is great for the Doctor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Although technically Peter Davison and Sylvester McCoy would have been the Doctors I should have grown up with... thanks to the Super Channel I was exposed to Tom Baker at a young age and he'll probably always be my favourite.

Matt Smith is easily my second favourite at this stage though. And I remember being super dismayed when he was first announced so he's definitely done a lot to impress me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 xBadWolfx

David Tennant will always be my fav by a long mile :)

Advertisement