Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Olympus E-P1 Pen - Is this a 'bargain'?

• 26-04-2010 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

I spotted this Olympus E-P1 Digital Pen on ibood and I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on it one way or another.

I have had it in my mind to purchase a new camera. What I m looking for is the handiness/portability of a compact and the funtions of an SLR (I have 2 film SLRs and one digital compact all older than 8 years now). The Pen seems to fit the bill plus I really like the retro looks.

On the downside - no built in flash, no viewfinder and poor autofocus at low light.

I have no idea what it retails for in bricks and mortar shops but online prices seem to be starting at €750.

What would your view be - it is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Seen a few reviews of this in the magazines. Mostly positive, biggest con is the price, and as you mention - no view finder. They're not great at handling higher end ISO levels either, judging by all accounts.

The EPL-1 scores 8/10 in the latest ed of Practical photography. It's a lot cheaper and looks to have most of the same features. Have a look at that maybe? With the saving you could buy another lens or a view finder maybe?

For those prices I'd want a full on dslr though, the olympus dslrs are neat and tidy and would have better Image quality I imagine. Like the E-620, one of the smallest dslrs out there, though of course it is also a micro 4/3, like the pen cams.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Like the E-620, one of the smallest dslrs out there, though of course it is also a micro 4/3, like the pen cams.
    i think the E620 is a standard 4/3 mount, not a micro 4/3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

That's a good price on the EP1, but i suppose prices are going to drop since the EP2 and the EPL1 are available. There is a new firmware which speeds up AF but low light focusing is always going to be slower.

Essentially I believe this cam is an E620 without the optical viewfinder/mirror assembly, image quality will be very similar, high ISO isn't class leading but it's not the type of camera that really needs to have it, it's probably good enough for most folk.

To the OP I'd say you wont be disappointed if you go for it, while the lack of a flash might seem odd, a lot of people buy an hotshoe flash anyway, any of the fourthirds flashes should work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

i think the E620 is a standard 4/3 mount, not a micro 4/3.

Ah righty, that would mean the E-620 edges it in IQ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

Ah righty, that would mean the E-620 edges it in IQ?

No, the whole imaging pipeline is essentially the same as the EP1, image quality should be the the same, have a look at the DPReview reviews to make sure but I believe it's the case.

• Advertisement
Advertisement