Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal Crest

Options
  • 26-04-2010 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭

This may sound a little bad, but I'm from Donegal and I don't know what the county crest means! I know there is something to do with the O'Donnell Clan but could anyone shed any more light on it for me?

Also there seems to more than one. There is the one with the hand holding the red cross (the O'Donnell one I think) and then there another one that has a more stylised cross and a knights mortif over it. You can see it here on the Wikipedia page. Hope someone can help, I've been curious about it for a while now!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Donegalcocologo.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The Library in Letterkenny would definitely have details (I hope anyhow)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

The motto can be explained easily enough...

Mutuam habeatis caritatem

Mutual love or charity

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Wow :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

This is the new version of the crest, as used by the Donegal County Council.

112141.JPG

The old version, with some of it's history, can be seen here : LINK

Hope that helps.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

The older one is much nicer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

Fracture wrote: »
    The older one is much nicer.

I agree. And what the heck is the 'thing' beneath the dove? A weird metal top hat ... or a footless boot? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Must be a good crest as there's a smilie in the middle of it :D

Advertisement