Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On again Off again

Options
  • 26-04-2010 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭

I can give up smoking for a few months even went a year an a half once but I always end up back on them sometimes for a few months, sometime for a couple of years and then stop again.

Im pretty sure its linked to drinking. Even if Ive been off them for ages whenever I have a pint the craving kicks in hard. I think its cos I smoked before the ban and the feeling of a smoke in one hand and a pint in the other is ingrained in my brain as being so so good.

The only thing I can think of to finally quit the habit for good is to also quit drinking but I cant see this happening, all my friends are drinkers and smokers too. To give up the pub would be to make a huge lifestyle and social change.

What do you think guys, is this the only way to do it or is there any tips for fighting the craving when you're half jarred and surrounded by smoking mates and the drunken logic of 'sure I'll just have 1' creeps into your brain??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Sure there is. Don't go outside with them. Or if you do tell them not to offer you a smoke. And tell them to not give you one if you ask. If they are friends they won't give you one anyway.

I'm off the smokes 4 months - I haven't quit drinking. Try disassociating drink from smoking. You can't smoke in the bar so stay in the bar. It's no harder to not smoke in the pub than to not smoke at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Ouijaboard

I think you'd be a good candidate for an ecig....have a look at the thread below.

And before you say no thanks its just a gimmick, all I'll say is give it a try, it will also give you the freedom to use it while drinking and wont put you under so much pressure while around your smoking mates.

Sure, you are still getting nicotine with the ecig but its a safer alternative, and wont make you feel like you are climbing the walls while others are smoking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 ceduffy

i have the same problem hopefully though i think i have it kicked this time best of luck

Advertisement