Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camouflage

Options
  • 26-04-2010 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

Do you camoufalge your rifles - if yes, how? By painting or taping camo stuff on it :rolleyes: I am thinking of protecting the rifle as well - i.e. when in the field the camo might offer some protection to the rifle against scratches etc :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Do you camoufalge your rifles - if yes, how? By painting or taping camo stuff on it :rolleyes: I am thinking of protecting the rifle as well - i.e. when in the field the camo might offer some protection to the rifle against scratches etc :cool:

Going to camo spray paint soon, look at youtube if you want ideas camorifle should get you what you are looking for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Johnny_Coyle

Thomas,
    I like this stuff
    http://sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=515030

The tape is very easy to put on and take off and does not cost much.

Would not dream of spraying the metal, or wood, so that's not an option for me.

The tape is not sticky like duct tape and is easily removed.

The tape does, as you mentioned, provide a nice protective surface as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Thomasofmel

Thomas,
    I like this stuff
    http://sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=515030

The tape is very easy to put on and take off and does not cost much.

Would not dream of spraying the metal, or wood, so that's not an option for me.

The tape is not sticky like duct tape and is easily removed.

The tape does, as you mentioned, provide a nice protective surface as well.

Johnny - that's kind of Camo I was looking for - I would not like to paint my rifle either.... Your link does not offer postage to Europe though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Try Beckett's Adventure in the UK for the kind of tape you're looking for - www.armynnavy.com

e.g.
    Jack Pyke Real Tree Camo Tape
    http://www.armynnavy.com/catalog/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/3758
    or
    Web-Tex camo fabric tape:
    http://www.armynnavy.com/catalog/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/4163

or the Sportsman Gun Centre: www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk

for the H.S. Camo Tape http://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/product/54b20b647b6bd9384448903/H-%7CS+Camo+Tape/

I've ordered from both these places a couple times recently - they're very helpful and prompt and will deliver to Ireland no bother at not too much extra shipping cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

i got a roll of that jack pyke camo tape the other day. great stuff i used it as the mod i got was stainless steel and i wanted to cover it,i done most of the rifle with it too! i must buy another roll to finish it off.

Provides good protection for the stock which is the main reason why i decided to do the stock also.

jus thinkin tho if i used this tape up along the barrell of the gun would it effect the gun and stop the barrell from cooling???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Johnny_Coyle

Email them and ask them if they will ship.

I contemplated having them post a thrower to Ireland, they said they would for $150. I cannot imagine customs paying to much attention to a few rolls of tape.

Let me know how it works out. I will be over there in a few months and happy to: (a) bring a few back and drop in the post or (b) get some back with a cousin.

Just looked at dCorbus' link. Just wondering if he has any experience with any of the tapes and would care to give a field test.

I think I would pass on the following - too sticky. Ever try and remove the gum from duct-tape? Can't imagine a hot barrel would help.
    http://www.armynnavy.com/catalog/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/4163

PVC does not look like something that's going to conform well to the gun.
    http://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/product/54b20b647b6bd9384448903/H-|S+Camo+Tape/

This stuff looks closer to the stuff at the SportsMansGuide. I am holding it in my hand as we speak. It has a sort of ace-bandage effect. Also, the tape will not stick to your hands, only clings to itself. Personally, I like the faded out digi-cam offered by SportsMansGuide. Furthermore, the Jack Pyke stuff appears to be much more cloth like. This is probably the way I would go if the SportsMansGuide will not ship.
    http://www.armynnavy.com/catalog/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/3758

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Thomasofmel

Thanks - I will have a go with the Jack Pyke stuff :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭theirishguy

I bought one years ago, I did not like it as the shotgun was very slippy with it on foreend.
    You have to cut it to suit your rifle/shotgun so they have a frayed edge straight away and after a while can rip

I'd prefer either camo tape or sprayjob. If a sprayjob is done well it can look very good. undercoat light green or khaki and then spay on darker colours using reeds or leaves as a stencil.

Camo tape can also fray and look very cheap and tacky.
    If you get a piece of green tactical mesh scarf it can work better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

I cannot imagine customs paying to much attention to a few rolls of tape.

That is a risk that you have to take especailly with this recession on ive foud that customs are tightening up to make more money.

Customs will be 21% on the total cost (product + shipping ond insurance)

I get Duracoat from the US and while the paint is 100 USD the shipping is almost 300 USD... I pay customs on 400 USD.... kick in the balls really !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 OldEyes

I get Duracoat from the US and while the paint is 100 USD the shipping is almost 300 USD... I pay customs on 400 USD.... kick in the balls really !

UK Duracoat retailer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 imincanada

Just got a delivery of Krylon camo spray paint with plastic fusion technology for coating plastics
    4 tins at 11euro each and a tenner for shipping all 4!

I'll have a go and see how it lasts to ware and tear!

Got them through Main Airsoft Ireland MIA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

I use camoclad, which I picked up on e-bay, on the shotgun. It's great for decoying and protectes the gun.

They also do kits for jeeps, boats, quads etc.

http://www.camoclad.com/shotgunhuntingvideo.php

23-03-08_1247.jpg

camouflageinhide.jpg

J.R. wrote: »
    I use camoclad, which I picked up on e-bay, on the shotgun. It's great for decoying and protectes the gun.

They also do kits for jeeps, boats, quads etc.

http://www.camoclad.com/shotgunhuntingvideo.php

23-03-08_1247.jpg

camouflageinhide.jpg

Do you have to send your gun to them or can you do it yourself?
    I'd be very interested, and what price?

PS I love the camo Shirt ;)

Do you have to send your gun to them or can you do it yourself?
    I'd be very interested, and what price?

PS I love the camo Shirt ;)

I see they are in the states.
    So that rules out my first question.
    How neat does it look on the gun?
    Will it peel off like an Onion in time??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

OldEyes wrote: »

unfortunatly .... it wasnt that simple !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Just to quickly respond to Johnny_Coyle's earlier post, for the purposes of clarity:):
    Just wondering if he has any experience with any of the tapes

Nope, I don't have any experience with any of the tapes I mentioned - I wasn't recommending them as you will note from my earlier post, I was just pointing out another location (closer to home) where the O/P, Thomasofmel, might get the type of product he was looking for. Caveat Emptor, and all that!:D:rolleyes:
    and would care to give a field test

Nope again, I wouldn't be sticking anything onto my beloved rifles, tape or otherwise.:D

If I did have the need (which I don't at present) to camoflage my rifle, I'd probably use something like this:

Chameleonwrap_LG.jpg

possibly combined, if necessary, with a removable camo paint, such as EC Paint:
    offer,nfm_fc_paint,olive_camo_spray_paint

http://it.specops.pl/index.php/offer,nfm_fc_paint (Also supplied by Shooting Services in the UK)

All combined with some spray painted burlap strips or something similar to break up the shape of the rifle and scope, combined with finding a good spot for concealment / hide.

Or do as tack suggests:
    If you get a piece of green tactical mesh scarf it can work better

This way, you can change, adjust, or remove whichever camo treatment you've applied, depending on your location and the backdrop.

But as I said above, I'm not recommending the products I mentioned, just pointing out to Thomasofmel where he might reasonably order them from.

Hope that helps.

I see they are in the states.
    So that rules out my first question.
    How neat does it look on the gun?
    Will it peel off like an Onion in time??

I got it from the U.S.

I bid for it on ebay & got it for $9.99 plus $10 postage....worked out at the time about €15.

I see it for sale on U.S. sites for $25 but for some reason the postage from U.S. seems to be gone crazy lately......some are looking for $40 postage????

The kit is simple to fit.

It's like self - adhesive contact. It comes pre - cut to the shape of the gun. You just peel off the backing and apply. I found that going over it with a warm hair dryer & rubbing it with a cloth helped it to adhere to all the little groves and chequering.

It fits really well & many who see it think it a factory cammo job.

I've this one on the gun now for two years & no problems. Great camouflage & protects gun.

This is the second one I've fitted to that gun. The first (second picture) was on for three years. The local gardaí wanted to inspect the gun on renewal (Benelli Montrefeltro, left-handed, 12g semi-auto).

I had to bring it to the Garda Station. When there he wanted to check the serial number against that on the licence.....it couldn't be seen with the camo!!!

I couldn't remember exactly where the number was. I had to tear the camoclad in various places to try to find the number.....which I eventually found after 3 / 4 tears. The whole camo just stuck in place again at the time.

I found that the areas torn began to lift after a few weeks.....specks of dust had got in and adhesion was then poor. I bid for a new one on e-bay. I took off the old one and there wasn't a mark on the gun....no sticky residue...nothing.

My friend also has one on his semi-auto for past five years. Both guns do a lot of decoying and duck decoying, fox shoots etc. The guns have been soaked in showers on numerous occasions but the camoclad has remained in tact ...no problems.

It's much easier to apply with two people .....one holding the gun while the other applies it.

Yeah.....the shirt stands out but can't be seen from the front as the home-made face mask covers most of the front....was rushing that day and forgot camo shirt & neck scarf.

I live in the city so leave home in ordinary clothes...only change to camo gear when I get to the field.....keep the shooting as secret as possible driving through the city ......you never know who's watching your movements.

J.R. wrote: »
    I got it from the U.S.

I bid for it on ebay & got it for $9.99 plus $10 postage....worked out at the time about €15.

I see it for sale on U.S. sites for $25 but for some reason the postage from U.S. seems to be gone crazy lately......some are looking for $40 postage????

The kit is simple to fit.

It's like self - adhesive contact. It comes pre - cut to the shape of the gun. You just peel off the backing and apply. I found that going over it with a warm hair dryer & rubbing it with a cloth helped it to adhere to all the little groves and chequering.

It fits really well & many who see it think it a factory cammo job.

I've this one on the gun now for two years & no problems. Great camouflage & protects gun.

This is the second one I've fitted to that gun. The first (second picture) was on for three years. The local gardaí wanted to inspect the gun on renewal (Benelli Montrefeltro, left-handed, 12g semi-auto).

I had to bring it to the Garda Station. When there he wanted to check the serial number against that on the licence.....it couldn't be seen with the camo!!!

I couldn't remember exactly where the number was. I had to tear the camoclad in various places to try to find the number.....which I eventually found after 3 / 4 tears. The whole camo just stuck in place again at the time.

I found that the areas torn began to lift after a few weeks.....specks of dust had got in and adhesion was then poor. I bid for a new one on e-bay. I took off the old one and there wasn't a mark on the gun....no sticky residue...nothing.

My friend also has one on his semi-auto for past five years. Both guns do a lot of decoying and duck decoying, fox shoots etc. The guns have been soaked in showers on numerous occasions but the camoclad has remained in tact ...no problems.

It's much easier to apply with two people .....one holding the gun while the other applies it.

Yeah.....the shirt stands out but can't be seen from the front as the home-made face mask covers most of the front....was rushing that day and forgot camo shirt & neck scarf.

I live in the city so leave home in ordinary clothes...only change to camo gear when I get to the field.....keep the shooting as secret as possible driving through the city ......you never know who's watching your movements.

You are right on that one. I also drive into the field and park behind the ditch or get dropped off.
    Last thing I want is someone waiting at the car
    I was only messing about the shirt BTW. I wear camo all the time in various forms so people never know when I am going shooting ;)

I might try this clad stuff on my Remington stock. I don't want to put it on my 105CTi not sure will it work out well on the rifles though, even the guy on the site maintains you have to cut and shape for a rifle.

I might apply it to my da's old shotty and see how it looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

JR,
    I see a left handed shotgun in your pics! Is it a Remmy1100 or 11-87??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    JR,
    I see a left handed shotgun in your pics! Is it a Remmy1100 or 11-87??

It's a Benelli Montrefeltro

http://www.benelli.it/Articoli/Armi.asp?ID=60

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭theirishguy

I bought one years ago, I did not like it as the shotgun was very slippy with it on foreend.
    You have to cut it to suit your rifle/shotgun so they have a frayed edge straight away and after a while can rip
    yup i would have to agree i just got it today put it on and it's sh*t doesnt seem to like the rifle =)

yup i would have to agree i just got it today put it on and it's sh*t doesnt seem to like the rifle =)

Yeah - I've used one.

I don't know about it on a rifle as I used it on a shotgun. They can be loose and slide & slip.

Fit it to the gun - cut out the sections you don't need (breech, bolt area etc) . Cut these out much smaller that the size you need as they will stretch in size when fitted. Cut out.....stretch on gun...cut out slightly more...continue until you have a good fit.

When all is ready get some brown or green insulation tape and wrap it around the barrel, breech, stock etc. in various spots. This will tighten it up, stop it sliding and make it fit snugly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Watch out for rust forming under cheap camo tape, especially on blued barrels. You won't be able to see it.

The camouflage kit I used on my shotgun (see pics above) - CamoClad - are for sale on e-bay at the moment.....I don't know if he'll post to Ireland but a message to him would soon clarify.

Don't all start bidding against each other!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Auction Bidding or Buy it Now
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320526667368&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:IE:1123

Buy it Now
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320526668072&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:IE:1123

He also has these for sale if you wanted to combine shipping:

Poncho camouflage:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/PVC-Hooded-Rain-Poncho-Breakup-Camo-Rainwear-/320522472159?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa0a0cadf

Shooting sticks:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Stoney-Point-Polecat-CamoField-Stix-Shooting-Rest-NEW-/320526652580?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa0e094a4

Advertisement