Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pol pot mods ruining boards

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 beargrisley

Magenta wrote: »
    1,027 members. Numbers Boards can only dream of!!! :D
    quality over quantity magenta.;)

they never want to be as big as boards,i read that quote by admin team very recently.. not sure what your point your trying to make here giving sarcastic replies to every post,hop off somewhere else and give hand out some infractions.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Please don't move to letsbet.ie if you do their members will far outway Boards.ie...it could spell the end :pac:

now thats the kind of smartarse reply ive come to expect here.kindly fcuk off dude.thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Using a fine clothing company's name in vain is no way to behave now is it.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Do you have a link to the thread? It might help put things in context. If it was somebody looking to buy a bike, then it is probably more suited to adverts.ie. If we let everyone post up commercially slanted threads, the place would be over run with people trying to make a quick buck. That's what adverts.ie is for. :)
    no i dont have a link,but it was in the limerick city thread,yesterday.

And that's the way it is designed. This is a privately owned website, the owners (and possibly the moderators) could be held legally responsible in a court of law for things posted on the website. There is no free speech on the internet, simple as. Try setting up your own discussion forum, allowing everyone to post anything they like. Then set aside a large room for the legal threats you will receive. ;)

I am sorry to hear that, but could I suggest you check out a few other forums where things aren't as serious? It can be a bit of a laugh and should ease you into the way things work around here.
    thanks for your more sensible and mature response tom.

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Using a fine clothing company's name in vain is no way to behave now is it.

eh.....:confused:and i thought unhelpful posts wernt allowed.:rolleyes: im outta here.you sir are whats know as a timewaster,good day to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

now thats the kind of smartarse reply ive come to expect here.kindly fcuk off dude.thanks

And this is the kind of attitude we do not like around here. If this were another thread, I would have kicked you off the forum for personal abuse. However, in this case, it would be playing straight into your hands, so I am not going to do it. I will however ask you to attack the post, not the poster.

You appear to have a problem understanding how Boards.ie works, so let me give you a quick overview - we work on the basis of mutual respect. You can have a laugh, talk Serious Business, discuss pretty much anything, as long as you remember that everything has a place there are few basic rules.

If you have a problem with the way something is done or said, you can complain to the Category Moderators or the Admins. I refer you to the Newbies and FAQ forum over here. I strongly suggest you read it.

Starting a thread in Feedback, likening all moderators to Pol Pot will not win you any friends and most certainly not get you any respect.

I ask that you follow my suggestions above as this thread has a very limited lifespan.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Here is the thread in motors. Admittedly some smart replies are in there, but your question was also answered sensibly and accurately by other posters. Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Macros42 wrote: »
    Why is there a Feed Forward Private forum? Doesn't that go against the whole ideal behind Feed Forward ... i.e. that it shouldn't be private.

Off topic for this thread but some things need to be discussed in private, like the addition or removal of members etc

Anything site/Feedforward related is discussed in public, there are enough people with access who would object if it was being used for any other purpose

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Hi,

If the original thread you mentioned was a person trying to sell or buy something then it was an advert and was better suited to the adverts section of boards, adverts.ie.

From the motors thread: your question was answered and , honestly, there werent that many smart replies, most of the posts on that thread are asking for further details. The moderator closed the thread , with an explaination. You had been given an answer on the htread and to let the thread continue would have allowed the smart answers to increase in frequency. so he closed it before you got insulted. If anything, he did you a favour. Mods ahve experience in the forum thay are in charge of and can usually (not always, but usually) tell the direction a thread is going from past experience.

Likening all mods to Pol Pot based on your experience of two mods (not to mention describing someone as Pol Pot for how they post on an online forum!) is a bit over the top. Freedom of speech? doesnt exist on the internet, nowhere. Doesnt exist in society either. You have the right to express an opinion (in real life and on boards) but dont be suprised if those responsible check to make sure you are doing it in the right place (what would happen to someone singing Fenian songs and waving a tricolour with pro IRA slogans on a sandwich board if he was standing in a field in Kerry? How about the middle of o'connell street? how about the falls road during marching season (or whichever road it is they walk down)? There is a time and place for everything and the moderators of boards try to ensure that the posters post in the right forum and in the right way to make boards as useful and accessible as possible for as many users as possible. Want to rant abotu VRT? post in the Ranting and Raving forum. Want to talk about bikes? Cycling forum is the place. Want to talk about the upcoming street art festival in Kilkenny? Kilkenny forum and/or one of the Arts forums is the place. Not only will other users find it easier but you are more likely to be speaking to an audience that is interested in listening and get decent , interested responses.

responding to smart replies with "f**k off" really doesnt do your point any favours. If you think a reply is useless or just trying to bait you, ignore it or report it. Dont engage in the exact same behaviour. True in the real world as well as on boards.

As for the smart replies. Guys, this is feedback (no, not sparta) and users are entitled to post their feedback, be it good bad or indifferent - unfortunately its much more rare to get a positive thread here but it does happen - if you dont want to share your opinion or help understand an OP's opinion then please refrain from making matters worse by baiting or aggravating the OPs (though your obvious urge to defend the boards.ie community is appreciated). It doesnt add anything to the discussion.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Macros42 wrote: »
    I'm ignoring the op cos it's crap (but I would welcome it being moved to Spell Czechs for further analysis.

So I'm focussing on Overheals reply. More importantly on Overheals modships...

Why is there a Feed Forward Private forum? Doesn't that go against the whole ideal behind Feed Forward ... i.e. that it shouldn't be private.
    It is for the discussion of new members of FF. Its not polite or desireable to have those discussions in public, readable by all. For a start its humiliating for the person and secondly is that some people might feel "awkward" giving their honest opinion of someone if they know that person can read it. Hence the threads on individual prospective membership are removed before the person is given access.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

OP before you leave, could you help solve this squirrel dilemma?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I thought the point of Feed Forward and the likes was to address how threads like these are handled? Odd to see how its being handled, even from mods of said forum.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Bear, Tom and I are admins here... we are the people you need to talk to (or any other 5-star Admin).

I think your question has been answered but it might have been better to mod the thread rather then close it.

DeV.

Sully wrote: »
    I thought the point of Feed Forward and the likes was to address how threads like these are handled? Odd to see how its being handled, even from mods of said forum.
    Feedforward hasnt set any policy yet, its only spinning up.

People dont always do as they say. In other news, water is wet. :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055894598

Above is the thread on Limerick City forum.

The original poster was informed that his thread was in the wrong place and was directed to adverts.ie.

Also, comparing strict moderating to a man responsible for the death of millions of his own people is a little harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Sully wrote: »
    well to quote the OP,
    my experience of boards is very negative ruled by egotistical moderators,theres more free speech in a pol pot run regime.i rarley post now,a waste of my time.

spelling mistakes were put there so at least 1 pedantic smartass would read the whole post,and fingers crossed, point them out to me

nope magenta,dont have to get useta anything....

i use another forum letsbet.ie and theres no nazi like mods there and its a very sucessfull and friendly forum..

I did actually attempt to address the OP. The OP has since taken to calling people smartasses and likening the moderators to a cambodian collectivizationary dictatorship and declaring their unwillingness to sway in their belief that they can post anything where and however they like. so I don't really see what more I should be expected to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 jonsey

Magenta wrote: »
    1,027 members. Numbers Boards can only dream of!!! :D

Member numbers isn't the only measure of the success of a forum. To think so is not very clever.

Its not the only one but it is a factor. 1000 users is very different to 100,000s.

Thing is, good sites tend to attract and retain users and thats why after 10 years, we point to our happy users and say "there is no systemic issue here"... what we may have is an slightly llama-drama OP and a case of misunderstanding the options available to him.

I dont think Pol Pot has invaded JUST yet.

DeV.

DeVore wrote: »

Thing is, good sites tend to attract and retain users and thats why after 10 years, we point to our happy users and say "there is no systemic issue here"...

DeV.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

DeVore wrote: »
    I think your question has been answered but it might have been better to mod the thread rather then close it.

DeV.

Which one are you referring to Dev?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

pol pot mods ruining boards.

I hope the Admins have tipped off the regulars in the Intellectuals With Eyeglasses Forum about the terrible danger they're in? :(

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

stovelid wrote: »
    I hope the Admins have tipped off the regulars in the Intellectuals With Eyeglasses Forum about the terrible danger they're in? :(

It's ok, we're used to living with danger in the Admin forum. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Overheal wrote: »
    I did actually attempt to address the OP. The OP has since taken to calling people smartasses
    I don't dig the pol pot stuff and the fcuk off comments but I can see why the OP made the smartasse's comment (the one I thanked). I think in a subforum like this there could be less of the grammar Nazism, they have their own forum for that.

I would advise the OP that there were Admins and users that took his post seriously and replied well to him. Actually he got a better response out of this thread than I would have imagined. I'd hope that he might take this into consideration before telling other users where to shove it in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

You should not be driving down here with yellow reg and living here

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I agree with the OP and would like to subscribe to his/her newsletter. The polls here have gone to pot.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055894598

Above is the thread on Limerick City forum.

The original poster was informed that his thread was in the wrong place and was directed to adverts.ie.
    Indeed. I see there was even a convenient link provided. For some reason, sometimes people assume that various boards are the online equivalent of the little notice boards in Tesco. There was a link provided to the appropriate place, can't really say fairer than that.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Bonito wrote: »
    lolcat-funny-picture-moderator1.jpg

Polcat, surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Khmer, that's a terrible joke!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's a fantastic joke and if you think I'm budgin' from my stance, you've another think coming!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Wo... subtle. Think I might have got it, not sure though... :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement