Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M.I.A. - Born Free

Options
  • 26-04-2010 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

Has anyone seen the new video for Born Free? It could be interpreted as a satire on genocide, immigration laws, et al though BE WARNED, it contains brief nudity and graphic violence.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

The video you linked to has been removed by user.

I like it. Cool song, great video. It's just a little hard to take seriously cause I'm a big South Park fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Another youtube video removed there...:(

Here you go:

http://vimeo.com/11219730

Totally NSFW.

Bit shocking actually.

Not mad on the song itself though... Seems to be a little long. It was more like a short film with music added on afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

What's the story behind it?
    It's fairly random to say the least! Some gruesome bits though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

[URL="M.I.A.'s 'Born Free' music video is pulled from YouTube for graphic violence Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/2010/04/27/2010-04-27_mias_born_free_music_video_is_pulled_from_youtube_for_graphic_violence.html#ixzz0mK6alXRM"]M.I.A.'s 'Born Free' music video is pulled from YouTube for graphic violence
    [/URL]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

"Tiocfaidh ar Lá"??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Is there even a point to the video or a message in there somewhere? Not very impressed really. Big pile of meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Jobquiries

A bit meh? Children being shot and people being blown up and people being blown up and their body parts thrown across the screen is a bit meh? I suppose its common in war movies ... and some websites ... but not in a popular artist's music video on a mainstream video! And not with the twist of ginger people being killed.

I'm no activist, but I think the "message" of the video is an exact response to this "meh" attitude.

M.I.A is a Sri Lankan immigrant to the UK who often comments on genocides around the world and western attitudes towards them.

This video uses the metaphor, or a "what if" scenario, of red haired people being rounded up and killed by American soliders or police men.

Replace "red hair" with any group of people experiencing genocide, and you have got real happenings in the world right now.

M.I.A is using the medium of the "viral video" with an extended version of the buzz single from her new album to try and shock people from more fortunate countries/backgrounds, and asking how would you respond if someone in your own country was forcing people to murder off another group of people based on seemingly arbitrary traits.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I'd second the "meh".

It's big clumsy film-student metaphor, and the violence in it just feels like a cheap grab for controversy. The Suicide song was only alright, even before she decided to paste some boring vocals over it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Lucky there was a film crew following those horrible soldiers around. **** sake, how amateurish is this thing. It's making me angry how badly it's done. got to love how all the american flads are so obvious, should have had them singing the star spangled banner too. Clueless MIA, clueless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Seriously. I've seen more thoughtful subtlety from Pat Kenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭DáireM

Jobquiries wrote: »
    A bit meh? Children being shot and people being blown up and people being blown up and their body parts thrown across the screen is a bit meh? I suppose its common in war movies ... and some websites ... but not in a popular artist's music video on a mainstream video! And not with the twist of ginger people being killed.

I'm no activist, but I think the "message" of the video is an exact response to this "meh" attitude.

M.I.A is a Sri Lankan immigrant to the UK who often comments on genocides around the world and western attitudes towards them.

This video uses the metaphor, or a "what if" scenario, of red haired people being rounded up and killed by American soliders or police men.

Replace "red hair" with any group of people experiencing genocide, and you have got real happenings in the world right now.

M.I.A is using the medium of the "viral video" with an extended version of the buzz single from her new album to try and shock people from more fortunate countries/backgrounds, and asking how would you respond if someone in your own country was forcing people to murder off another group of people based on seemingly arbitrary traits.

It's not that anyone thinks genocide is "meh", it's the fact that this video articulates that worthy message and cause in an awful way. It's just lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I found it amusing because a ginger guy exploded.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Kold wrote: »
    I found it amusing because a ginger guy exploded.

Ya but even southpark did this how long ago... Still funny though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

DáireM wrote: »
    It's not that anyone thinks genocide is "meh", it's the fact that this video articulates that worthy message and cause in an awful way. It's just lazy.

Bingo.

Also thanks for the mini biography of M.I.A. Jobquiries your insightful post has made me do a complete 180. It's an amazing social commentary depicted in the video. She's so edgy and on point, I was particularly impressed with the use of gratuitous violence in the video to shock the viewer. Not a trite concept in the least. Groundbreaking. Fuck America!

Advertisement