Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

College Football NCAA 2010 Season rankings, games/play action, calls, players, rants

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

One of my buddies sent this earlier very funny released by Ducks fans pre their game with Stanford tonight. Very funny and catchy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Stanford tearing Oregon apart here. 21-3 and its only the end of the first quarter. Peeps keep sleeping on my boys :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Richardson and Ingram... not half bad eh?

Well, thats how you get back into a game. Oregon grab a TD, onside kick, then another TD. What a game.

Christ, 28-24 and its not even halftime!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Oregon Ducks will probably be PAC-10 champs come season end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Why did ESPN show College Gameday and then not decide to show any college games?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Bama vs S Carolina in 2nd, 21-3 S Carolina. Bama is #1 and S Carolina is only #19? Huh?

Edit: Last few seconds before half Bama TD, but misses extra point. S Carolina 21-9. Poor execution during first half by the Tide.

Edit: Number 1 defeated solidly by #19, 35-21 Gamecocks. So much for the ranking system. The Tide was Crimson with Bama blood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The Tide was Crimson with Bama blood.

Love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

after watching that tripe last night which mirrors the last 3 seasons of Big East football Ive just got to say the following.

MWC > Big East
    WAC > Big East

Big East is a farce. Automatic BCS bid my hole. Its not worth. Christ its hardly that much better than the MAC these days.

• Advertisement

How can the Big east get away with it.Its a joke of a conference and has been in football terms for years. Even last year all the hype over Cinci until they got embarrased in the BCS.

On the face of it their Out of conference record this year looks ok. There 22-15 not bad I hear you say. Now lets strip out Div 1AA opponents who they seem to have a fetish for. Now their 13-15 a losing record against Div 1 schools.

Well I hear you say they hold their own thats not to bad. Let
    me take out the Sun Belt which lets face it is basically Div
    1AA. Now they are 8 - 15.

Beginning to look weak right ? Now take out the MAC now the
    Big east is 5 - 14 yes a pathetic 5 and 14.

Out of conference they have losing records against the ACC,
    SEC, PAC 10, WAC, BIG 10, BIG 12, Independents and have a 1-1
    record against the MWC thanks to a win against powerhouse UNLV !!

They have winning records against the Sun Belt, Mac, Div 1AA,
    and C-USA (Just about on an overtime win) and the fact they have an auto bid to the BCS just says it all.

So if you look further into it. Like I said they have 13 wins against Div 1 out of conference schools. If I break it down futher those wins came against opponents with a combined record of 14 - 52

The Big East has 1 yes ONE !!! win out of conference against a winning Div 1 school and that powerhouse school that has a winning record ..... MARYLAND

The financial reason to have the Big Easy as a BCS auto qualifier makes me sick as does the whole BCS.

Seriously though how much of a joke is the Big East ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Been getting more and more into college ball since coming back from Boston at the start of the month. Had a free pass to the Boston College v Virginia Tech game a few weeks back and I'm just hooked, the atmosphere, the bands, the crowd, just everything about it. Shall be lurking on this forum a lot more!

Trojan fans are very happy at the moment, they have opened a can of whoop ass tonight. And just the night for it.

Boom! What a start for Wisconsin, 97 yard kickoff return on the opening kickoff.

14 zip Badgers, new no.1 seed next week, if this holds up the ducks will be no.1 next week, who'd have ever guessed that at the start of the season?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Ohio State were awful last night but fair play to the Badgers on a great win, delighted for Oregon who should take over at no.1

The Ducks are 5-0 and not only look like they'll be the PAC-10 champs, but also contenders for the national championship.

Guys lets spare a thought for the Rutgers DT who severed his spinal cord Saturday versus Army.

Apparantly paralysed from the head down :(:(:(:(

As a coach one thing we coach is "Heads Up" Always see what you are hitting. It is funny how many forget how dangerous this sport can be if proper technique is not used. Eric LeGrand unfortunately has learned the hard way and I send my best wishes to his recovery. :( Never nice seeing these type of accidents.

This set of vids is what I ask my players to watch to bring awarness to keeping your head up when tackling:

those heads up videos make me queasy. Ive only seen em once and dont need to see them again to know how crazy using your head in the tackle is.

The football authorities have to do something more about spearing and helmet to helmet contact though. if anybody say the hit on DeShawn Jackson yesterday that could have ended up in an equally serious circumstance.

I pray that LeGrand fully recovers from this, who knows with modern science, but not something any football fan wants to see.

• Advertisement

That's so tragic, seeing all the players down on one knee gave me the shivers. Hopefully it's a Kevin Everett type situation and he shows some improvement in the next few days :(

TD Ducks.

Great drive after the interception. Blink and you'll miss it stuff, probably the highest tempo offence in any level of football.

Archimedes wrote: »
    TD Ducks.

Great drive after the interception. Blink and you'll miss it stuff, probably the highest tempo offence in any level of football.

insane tempo hard to defend and organise. ballsy play on 4th and 6 to go for it.

UCLA need to figure out how to defend this if i were the coach a few rolled ankle injurys might pop up ;)

Another TD, and they go for the 2 point conversion and get it too, simply because they can.

Good stuff. Hopefully James comes back on, got a little shook up on that last run.

UCLA offense not going too bad need to score this drive though. 3rd possesion 3rd time in ducks terroritory gotta get points and then a stop though

The Ducks are decimating UCLA here. Another TD and now they're up by 19 early in the 2nd. 22 points in 21 plays on 3 drives. Scary.

3 and out for UCLA. They need a big stop on this drive.

3 and out for UCLA. They need a big stop on this drive.

So much for that. Another TD for the Ducks. Just scary good.

Ducks being a little classless IMO pissing on em going for 4th downs timeouts when up by 4 scores at the end of the half.

never been a fan of running up the score.

• Advertisement

D3PO wrote: »
    Ducks being a little classless IMO pissing on em going for 4th downs timeouts when up by 4 scores at the end of the half.

never been a fan of running up the score.

This is a team who have a realistic chance of going number 1 in the country after this weekend. They haven't failed on a 4th down so far this game, if the other team can't defend it then why not go for it?

Edit: One handed catch. Bloody awesome.

This is a team who have a realistic chance of going number 1 in the country after this weekend. They haven't failed on a 4th down so far this game, if the other team can't defend it then why not go for it?

Edit: One handed catch. Bloody awesome.

they are already number 1 in the human polls running up the score doesnt impact the computer so its pointless and classless

Tbh, the whole running up the score argument is one of the most pitiful things in sports today.

Tbh, the whole running up the score argument is one of the most pitiful things in sports today.

so up by 29 points first half and taking a timeout without possesson with 12 seconds left isnt classless ?? Show the opponent some respect.

look at most top teams up beyond doubt bring in the second string.

D3PO wrote: »
    so up by 29 points first half and taking a timeout without possesson with 12 seconds left isnt classless ?? Show the opponent some respect.

If you don't want the other team to run up the score, then pull the finger out and stop them. Simple. Oregon have a number of motivating factors to put as many points as they want between them and UCLA. I'm sure Oregon don't particularly care if people think they're being unfair on their opponents. It's a silly little argument, and a viewpoint that should be considered laughable outside of peewee football.

It's the end of the first half for Christ's sake. If UCLA go out and get two TD's and get themselves back in the game, how stupid would Oregon look saying "Ah well we didn't want to rub it in too much".

Another TD. Darron Thomas is on fire. :)

• Advertisement

39-6 Ducks in last 5min of 3rd?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭deisedude

Bearcats have gone a hell of a lot backwards this year. 38-30 loss to South Florida at Nippert. :(

Watched the game last night. A lot of speed in that South Florida D and I reckon there are a couple of draft picks there. But even with that it was down to the QB who had a very poor game for Cincy. Actually the junior who came in late in the game looked pretty good at QB.

In the shadows of Eric LeGrnades paralysing injury with Rutgers Chris Norton a freshman with Luther College in Iowa was also paralysed the same weekend.

Thoughts and Prwayers go out to Chris and his family.
    Luther College freshman football player Chris Norton suffered a fractured neck and compressed spinal cord in a special team’s collision during Saturday’s game against Central.

The former Bondurant-Farrar prep was injured on a kickoff as he attempted to make a tackle. After being treated on the field for 25 minutes, he was transported to Decorah Medical Center and eventually airlifted to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., where he underwent a three-hour surgery.

A post from his family on the Web site www.caringbridge.org said Monday afternoon that Norton has been able to move both arms slightly and has increased sensitivity throughout his body. The family was initially told by doctors there was a three-percent chance he would ever regain function from the neck down.

“Sunday morning he could wiggle his left arm. He is already in the three percent,” Norton’s father, Terry, wrote. “This morning, he could identify what toe we were squeezing … He asked us to share the following: ‘Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers, they mean a lot. I am going to recover from this. I know I’ll be able to walk. I don’t have any doubt in my mind.’”

Luther Coach Mike Durnin was asked Monday how he and his team was coping. Durnin spent Saturday evening/Sunday morning with the Nortons at Mayo while Chris was in surgery.

“I’m not the important person. The important people here are Chris and his family,” Durnin said. “Things are going well. We’re keeping a great positive attitude, looking at the victories each and every day and going forward.”

Durnin said he has spoken to people at Rutgers University, where player Eric LeGrand was paralyzed from the neck down after making a tackle in a game Saturday against Army. He spoke with his team about Norton’s injury after Saturday’s game and had a 30-minute meeting planned with players Monday afternoon before practice.

“Until something like this actually happens, you don’t really understand what your feelings are. It’s very difficult to put into words,” he said. “For us to keep going, everyone needs to be together, just like a family. You want to be with your family in a situation like this.

“I’m sure there are going to be plenty of tears, questions and hugs.”

chris-norton.jpg

Again the incident is on special teams a time when players are colliding at the greatest force.

forget this rule change the NFL are bring in regarding tackling the issue is special teams and I think it needs to be looked at.

great that hes god some feeling you would be confident that he can regain mobility lets hope so anyway

• Advertisement

Some good games today, Notre Dame vs Navy about to kick off, and the big one later is LSU @ Cam Newton :pac:

Really enjoyed the Auburn/LSU game. Two teams that did not want to give up their unbeaten records. No doubt about it Newton was the start of the game but the LSU punter kept them in it for a long time. He will certainly get picked up in next years draft if he enters it. Some real big stars of the future on show in that game. Best game of ball I've watched all year, very balanced with excellent Ds on both sides and some very talented offensive players too.

looked a good game what i saw anyway was watching my Hawaii warriors tear Utah State a new one so didnt see much :D

and on that note check Greg Salas's One handed TD catch for hawaii start of Q4 top quality stuff.

will be a good draft pickup next year probably the only warrior to go in it id say

So are the Ducks gonna finally be no.1? For the third week running the no.1 ranked team is gonna lose. Sooners down by 15 with 6.36 left in the 4th. Its the first time thats happened since 1960. I'm glad to see it too because Oklahoma had no business being no.1.

Would you like your Heisman gift wrapped Mr. Newton?

cameron-newton.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Johnny_Trotter

I was a bit surprised there wasn't more mention of Auburn/Cam Newton til now... I watched an epic game against Arkansas (65-43) a week back and they looked impressive then.

I didn't watch them against LSU on Saturday but did see a few highlights and Newton's TD in particular was great.

They've sneaked up to #1 (from #22 in September), but I guess 8-0 will do that.

I saw the tackle also which paralysed LeGrand - hopefully he makes a recovery.

Awesome, Austin Pettis passes to Kellen Moore for a TD. No typo there!

Oregon @ USC should be a classic.

God knows I love watching Oregon play, but I think USC beats them today. This is their bowl game, and that crowd should propel them above the Ducks. I can't wait for it.

Missouri and Michigan St getting their asses handed to them.

Oregon Ducks are going to slaughter my USC Trojans starting in just 10 minutes on ABC.:(

• Advertisement
Advertisement