Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog scootering/trekking

Options
  • 26-04-2010 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi anybody know how to begin training your dod to use a scooter?
    I spend time while she was a pup teaching her to not pull on the lead and be off the lead. So now how to train her to pull on a scooter?Will she then start to pull on walks?

Any advice appreciated......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

PM ISDW on the board, pretty sure she might know something about it. http://www.tailsandtrails.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Thanks Toulouse:D

The theory is that you can train the dog to pull while wearing the harness, and to walk nicely while wearing the collar. Unfortunately that theory has never worked for me:D But, I have mainly huskies who just love to pull anyway, and as thats what I want them to do, I don't now try to train them to walk on the collar. However, there are people who show their dogs and work them in harness, and the dogs will pull when needed and trot around a show ring on a tiny little show lead and collar, so it is possible.

I usually start them off by getting them used to the harness - use a proper pulling harness like an x back, or long distance harness, not one thats designed to walk the dog. Make it fun for the dog when the harness goes on, treats etc, so they associate it with nice things. Then attach something lightweight to it, we start with empty milk bottles. Then we increase the weight, putting water in the bottle, so the they get the feeling of something behind them, they have to pull it along. We also put stones in the bottle, so that they get used to the sound of something behind them, sometimes the noise of brakes, or your foot dragging on the ground going round a corner behind the dog can be scarey for them.

Then progress to the scooter or bike. If you have a friend who could cycle ahead of you, it is the easiest way to train a lone dog to pulling. Don't overdo it while the dog is learning, the worst thing is to put a dog off an activity at the very beginning.

Have fun, its fantastic:D

Advertisement