If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips BDP3000 question - audio sync

Options
  • 26-04-2010 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭

I've just connected my Philips blu ray player to my 5.1 amp (using the Digial Co-Ax /phono connection). Strange thing happening with the audio - the amplifier is getting the audio about half a second or more EARLIER than the TV (Philips 8404) is.

Obviously the tv is getting it's sound and picture over HDMI, and the sync there is perfect, but I'm wondering what to do here. I'd have thought it an issue with my amp if the signal from the amp was delayed, but given that it's coming out ahead of the TV - I'm wondering how to fix this.

The amp in question is a Yamaha RX-V795RDS and has always worked perfectly with the 5.1 feed from my previous Sony DVD player....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RootX

Hi,

there should be a setting on the amp called "Center Delay" - have you tried adjusting it?

The values should be between 0 ms (default) and 5 ms(max).

More info
    www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/av/english/re/RX-V795.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭zaphodbeeb

Shouldn't the player output the audio / video via HDMI in sync with its' own digital output? I would consider this a bug in the player no?

Also found another oddity with the player - on occasion if I pause a movie, then start playing again, the sound almost entirely disappears. If I then rewind a few seconds and hit play, hey presto, the sound is back [watching Get Smart]

Also the player crashed three times when watching Couples Retreat. Had to pull the power cable to get it to respond to anything from the RC. My wife had watched it the previous night and it played through without problem..... And this is with the latest firmware....

What the hell?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RootX

Hi there,

can't really comment on the crashes or the pause issue since I don't own the player.

As for the sync issue, it's present even on the latest AV amps; the majority have a feature called lip sync to correct this, you can read an excellent article if you wish: http://www.audaud.com/article.php?ArticleID=3011

thanks,

Epi.

I also should say that I found a solution (of sorts). If I connect to the tv over HDMI and then take the digital out from the television to the surround sound amp - all seems to be pretty much in sync.

So in one sense, problem solved. It does seem wrong to me that I have to do it this way but hells bells if it works then fair enough.

I'm just left with a feeling that there's something unfinished about Blu ray / HDMI / players etc. But then again maybe I'm just having a few teething issues :-)

As regards the issue with the player and certain titles, I should leave that to another thread - main purpose of this one is to sort issues with the audio and syncing....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

I have the same problem with my TV (Samsung B650).

The issue i believe is the processing done on the image on your TV.

I would turn stuff like 100Hz and the like off and see if that helps.

Some media is worse than other i find, like Band Of Brothers on blu-ray there are noticeable lip-sync issues even with all post processing off.

My A/V Receiver can either have a 60ms delay on or off.

The good receivers can go up to as much as 200ms i believe.

I have gotten used to it but still annoys me sometimes.:)

Edit: Good article RootX. Just saw it after i posted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

I'm moving this discussion over to the Home Entertainment forums as it may be of wider interest.

Ritz.

I was actually hoping someone from RS / The Philips Shop would offer some insight into this problem. Now that you've moved it that would appear unlikely - even if just to say this is a common problem amongst Blu Ray players / tvs or whatever. [Given this is where I bought the stuff...]

Disappointing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Howdy,

I've just seen your post above with the title "Convenient":
    I was actually hoping someone from RS / The Philips Shop would offer some insight into this problem. Now that you've moved it that would appear unlikely - even if just to say this is a common problem amongst Blu Ray players / tvs or whatever. [Given this is where I bought the stuff...]

Disappointing.

Please read the Charter for the Richersounds Forum, particularly the part that says:
    Bearing in mind the general purpose of the Forum as described above, from time to time it is appropriate to move threads or posts to a more suitable venue - usually the Home Entertainment Forums. This is a routine moderation task so please do not think that you or your post is being "singled out".

Your post was moved for the reasons stated - to bring the discussion to a wider audience. At no point on the thread did you invite the Richersounds or Philips Shop guys to get involved in the discussion which was taking place between yourself and the other posters on the thread.

I'm a little puzzled at the title "Convenient" and the comment "Disappointing" - this could be construed as implying that your query was moved away from the Richersounds forum as some sort of censorship or to avoid having them contribute something to the discussion. I sincerely hope that this is not your intention. I move threads that appear to be discussions to the HE forums as a routine matter and I do not ordinarily discuss issues of this sort with anyone from Richersounds.

If you wanted the thread moved back to the Richersounds forum, a simple request to that effect posted on the thread or a PM to me is all it takes - again please read the Richersounds Forum charter:
    If you have a problem....

If you have a problem with a post or a thread on this forum, the first step should be to send me a PM. If there is some way in which I can help you I will happily do so or if the difficulty relates to a post or Moderator decision of mine such as moving a post or snipping (deleting text) that concerns you, then I will do my best to explain the situation.

Cheers,

Ritz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hi ZB

Strange issue you describe.

I trust you dont have the volume up on the TV when you use route the audio through your amp?

Does it happen with all BR discs or just some titles?

As you may know the BDP3000 downconverts the Audio to either regular DTS or Dolby Digital over the Co-Ax digital out and passes that across to the amp.
    Does your amp have Audio/lip sync Delay on board?
    have you tried this out - the fact that the sound arrives ahead of the video is very strange as its usually the other way around - this may not help however
    I take it your amp doesnt have HDMI inputs that let it strip off the audio and pass on the video signal to your TV?

We dont have any av amps in store so I cant replicate the issue you are having and look for solutions here.

I have an older Pioneer DVD/SACD player that when connected to the TV via HDMI and to my amp via the 5.1 Channel output (for SACD/DVD-A audio) the sound was noticably delayed when playing DVD's which I could correct via my amp.

You have seemed to have hit upon a workable solution for your system for the time being.

I'll email this issue across to our yep and see what they come up with.

ATB
    Ash

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.