Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus almost overturned!

• 27-04-2010 12:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭

on the way from dublin to carlow in a bus eireann bus this evening near the new motorway exit for castledermot moone and timolin the bus left the new M9 motorway and was negotiating the roundabout and turning onto the R747 when it pitched quite violently to the right as it turned onto the road from the roundabout,

this was a lot more than the normal roll from cornering as the front of the bus seemed to lift and the right side seemed to drop as if the rear tryes on this side were flat and the bus rolled much more than any other time i can remember from being on busses. several passengers gasped and some even had to stop themselves falling from their seats, overall a very scary experience.

has anyone else got similar experiences from bus journeys?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

we rocked a bus pretty close to the point of overturning on a school tour once :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

we rocked a bus pretty close to the point of overturning on a school tour once :D
    ah yes i remember those days, we had a bus dancing around a french motorway on our school tour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭GM071class

And of course the Bus in the George Bernard Shaw pub in South Richmond Street often gets attempts at rolling it..... Often by me, never suceeded though! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

You are lucky it wasn't a double decker. :eek:

There was a double decker stolen in Loughlinstown a few years back, joyrided around the fields up there and overturned.

• Advertisement

does anyone know is it easy or hard to overturn one of those newer volvo busses that bus eireann have?

foggy_lad wrote: »
    does anyone know is it easy or hard to overturn one of those newer volvo busses that bus eireann have?

planning something are we? ;) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

the bus that rocked

foggy_lad wrote: »

All busses and coaches have to pass strict safety testing to prevent roll over.
    I think its 35 degrees of bank for a coach, and 30 degrees bank for a double-decker (those figures are only off the top of my head though)

Have a look at this:

The old RA class CIÉ buses were good up to 45 degrees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLUqAUu9y2Y (embedding disabled)

The only scary incident I've had on a bus was when I was on a WV operated 123. On D'Olier Street, someone pulled out of Fleet Street without looking and we very nearly hit them. The bus driver jammed on and several people who were standing were knocked to the floor and slid down the bus!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I've seen a DB double decker go up on two wheels, years ago. I also saw a double decker tip over and hit a pub, think it was that one at the top of Westland Row. Twas years ago too.

Karsini wrote: »
    The old RA class CIÉ buses were good up to 45 degrees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLUqAUu9y2Y (embedding disabled)

The only scary incident I've had on a bus was when I was on a WV operated 123. On D'Olier Street, someone pulled out of Fleet Street without looking and we very nearly hit them. The bus driver jammed on and several people who were standing were knocked to the floor and slid down the bus!

Great video that! My Da has some epic memories of the RA's out of Connygham Road, especially on the ice, and in the snow, on the 66 runs!

I recall him saying that a trip from Maynooth back to depot only taking 20 mins one day, also in the snow!

BTW - good to bump into you on Saturday,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

GM071class wrote: »
    Great video that! My Da has some epic memories of the RA's out of Connygham Road, especially on the ice, and in the snow, on the 66 runs!

I recall him saying that a trip from Maynooth back to depot only taking 20 mins one day, also in the snow!

BTW - good to bump into you on Saturday,

I remember plenty of hairy moments on the 66 as a kid at the Deadmans Inn in icy conditions. As a kid it was great craic,must've been pretty dodgy as a driver though!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

I remember one of the KD double decks overturned at Christ Church in Dublin. Must have been in the mid-80's. Does anyone have any photos? The photo was on the front page of the newspapers.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

I remember one of the KD double decks overturned at Christ Church in Dublin. Must have been in the mid-80's. Does anyone have any photos? The photo was on the front page of the newspapers.

Ok, I just found a video of it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ush2103M1RY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Is this the video you were trying to link to?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ush2103M1RY

The KD's were as 'rolley' in high winds as a small ship with no stabilizers,

I always used to love the bit on the Quays at Usher's island where the road sort-of sank down a bit towards the river, The KD's would be flying along on the 39 and felt like they were going to roll over!

Still loved all that lurching around though....

they were fast too, i passed one early one morning between maynooth and leixlip and it was hitting 65mph

Advertisement