Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Use of the term 'teabaggers' to describe Tea Party activists

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Why is there a thread like this targeted at the left for using silly terms against a particular group, but none of the baiting tactics of the right are addressed?

Bias.
    Im not sure what you mean. Again, using any labels is typically frowned upon and now by this thread, actionable. "Pinkos" was a rather popular term used at the time by some folks that are no longer here to utter it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭CrystalLettuce

Overheal wrote: »
    Im not sure what you mean. Again, using any labels is typically frowned upon and now by this thread, actionable. "Pinkos" was a rather popular term used at the time by some folks that are no longer here to utter it.

I'm talking about half of what comes out of Permabear's fingers. Most of his posts are just shallow baiting tactics and he rarely brings anything rational to his discussion. Things like leveling "hippie" type insults at protestors, etc. should be just as barred as calling tea partiers tea baggers WHEN THAT WAS A NAME THEY USED THEMSELVES.

The Teabaggers term is not something that I feel is really up for debate. I don't care who started saying it, I don't think it suits the tone of this forum imho.

Rather than being synonymous with putting someone's testicles in your mouth though, 'hippies' is at least applicable. Cultural Dissent, expressive dresswear, anti-corporatism ("The Man"), etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

As Overheal says, it's a question of the tone of the term. There are various other terms that have been banned for similar reasons, or for overuse.

And that's that, really - accusations of bias are a complete waste of everyone's time and energy, because they have no bearing on the question. It's not up for debate as such.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote: »
    As Overheal says, it's a question of the tone of the term. There are various other terms that have been banned for similar reasons, or for overuse.

And that's that, really - accusations of bias are a complete waste of everyone's time and energy, because they have no bearing on the question. It's not up for debate as such.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

If it's about tone & context(Which it always should be), then honestly, half of the Freebertarians on this board should have been banned already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

If it's about tone & context(Which it always should be), then honestly, half of the Freebertarians on this board should have been banned already.

Please stop trolling the thread.

What is a freebertarian? You broke google.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Overheal wrote: »
    What is a freebertarian? You broke google.

Maybe he is of the belief that my ideology helps freedom, because you certainly won't be given freebees by the state under libertarianism.

EDIT: To chime in on the actual discussion, I don't find the term offensive. It's used so much for tea partyers that it's more of a political than a sexual term by now.

I just get tired of writing "Right Wing Libertarian", I don't want to refer to them just as "Libertarians" all the time because it's not quite accurate, and RW doesn't look right.

I am not trolling the thread, I am honestly concerned over threads such as "We are the 53%" which are little more than calling people whiners without any real backing.

• Advertisement

"Real backing?" By who? Ronald Moore? Matt Damon?

Advertisement