Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Release - foundation maths

Options
  • 27-04-2010 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

Alright guys enough is enough I am fed up of failing yet again on a second mock paper for OL maths I have made a firm decision to do foundation alongside my 5 other HL subject choices. Plz don't bother trying to convince me otherwise. Edinbrugh uni course I am going for. doesn't require maths, maynooth accept foundation.

What I need to know is what kind of things should i start studying. I have already looked at the papers but I was wondering if doing part a and b of ordinary will suffice,

Any tips on how to approach the paper1 and 2 will be greatly accepted and appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Waste of time, at least fail ordinary it would look better than foundation.

It's very hard to fail OL maths, you can get at least 40% without much effort. Study, don't just sit there staring at notes, do examples, mock papers until your eyes/hands bleed.... then do some more.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

...Did you not read what I posted? Why the hell would i risk failing ordinary when Im better off just passing it? I do not care that it wont look good. My other HL honours will suffice since I got 3 A's in the mocks. I honestly dont care about maths and tbh for the UK course i am doing maths isnt even needed. I cant be bothered to do exam questions over and over because i have done every single exam question already pretty much, bar the ones before 2000.

I dont want to work for a pass in ordinary because my other subjects require greater attention.

Anyone who actually wants to be helpful?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Just do all of the questions on the past papers or buy a revision book.

As for practising A and Bs on the OL papers- if you can do these, you shouldn't be doing FL:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭christmasinjuly

Hi i am a fellow foundation maths person doing 4 honours hehe.
    Anyways believe me u will not need to study for foundation or anything its easy but I also failed ol maths so many times so what you should do is practise from examanations.ie or buy the papers anyways what did u get 3 As in? I would love if u could give me tips

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Fair play to you for doing foundation. It's without doubt the right decision. You don't need ordinary maths for your courses and you are increasing your chances of getting into maynooth by doing foundation. Too many people listen to the crowd who say don't do foundation and they end up failing ordinary. If they had to do ordinary for a college course then that's fair enough but to waste time on ordinary for no reason is ridiculous. Afraid I don't have any tips apart from keep doing the past papers and checking with the answers on www.examinations.ie. Look at the previous chief examiners reports as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

pathway33 wrote: »
    Fair play to you for doing foundation. It's without doubt the right decision. You don't need ordinary maths for your courses and you are increasing your chances of getting into maynooth by doing foundation. Too many people listen to the crowd who say don't do foundation and they end up failing ordinary. If they had to do ordinary for a college course then that's fair enough but to waste time on ordinary for no reason is ridiculous. Afraid I don't have any tips apart from keep doing the past papers and checking with the answers on www.examinations.ie. Look at the previous chief examiners reports as well

Wow thank you so much. That really gave me a fierce confidence boost...thanks. :) ( and no not being sarcastic lol )

fufureida wrote: »
    Wow thank you so much. That really gave me a fierce confidence boost...thanks. :) ( and no not being sarcastic lol )

No prob. You'll still meet people who will tell you that it's impossible to fail ordinary maths. Well tell that to the 3,700+ students who failed ordinary maths last year >>>>> http://www.examinations.ie/statistics/statistics_2009/final_leaving_certificate_statistics_for_2009.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

No prob. You'll still meet people who will tell you that it's impossible to fail ordinary maths. Well tell that to the 3,700+ students who failed ordinary maths last year >>>>> http://www.examinations.ie/statistics/statistics_2009/final_leaving_certificate_statistics_for_2009.pdf
    More people failed (E - NG) in foundation than in ordinary :eek:

More people failed (E - NG) in foundation than in ordinary :eek:

nah B is the foundation one. When they translate them to gaeilge it goes

higher (ard)
    foundation (Bonn)
    ordinary (gnath)

my gaeilge aint great but i figured that one out anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

nah B is the foundation one. When they translate them to gaeilge it goes

higher (ard)
    foundation (Bonn)
    ordinary (gnath)

my gaeilge aint great but i figured that one out anyway :)
    I knew that but it looks like I misread B for G :o

• Advertisement

I knew that but it looks like I misread B for G :o

That is worryinb. Does that lead to proglems readinb gooks?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

R0ot wrote: »
    Waste of time, at least fail ordinary it would look better than foundation.

Waste of time my arse. you fail OL maths you don't get into college even if you passed all your other subjects. An A is better than an F in any subjects or levels.
    R0ot wrote: »
    It's very hard to fail OL maths, you can get at least 40% without much effort. Study, don't just sit there staring at notes, do examples, mock papers until your eyes/hands bleed.... then do some more.

It seems that some people just don't realise that no matter how hard people try they will not be able to get anywhere. You could study maths all you like but the end of the day if you go into the exam thinking you could possibly fail the exam then you will probably under perform and may fail the exam.

Advertisement