Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Know your Motorcycle thread

• 27-04-2010 1:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Perhaps this could be a sticky, just a series of educational links about how bikes operate, rider safety and maintenance. I'll start it off

How gears work - the basic version

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Xios wrote: »
    Perhaps this could be a sticky, just a series of educational links about how bikes operate, rider safety and maintenance. I'll start it off

How gears work - the basic version

Ah good auld Gadget, that f*cker is cause of me wasting hours lying under my VN1600 :rolleyes:

Great site though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

Cool, finally constant mesh is clear to me. Still I wouldn't like to design one of those gearboxes.

<rant>As for stickies this would make a good one. Overall I think the stickies need to be reviewed. There is some fatal flaw in the stickies when the noobs are always asking about the licensing. Always! I mean really! I'd like to see one sticky which covers licensing, what restriction really means (i.e. you can restrict a Fireblade if you really need to, but should be shot if you do) and link to tax calculator and a nice bold statement of insurance companies give quotes not internet forums.</rant>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭SlabMurphy

Dorsanty wrote: »
    Cool, finally constant mesh is clear to me. Still I wouldn't like to design one of those gearboxes.

<rant>As for stickies this would make a good one. Overall I think the stickies need to be reviewed. There is some fatal flaw in the stickies when the noobs are always asking about the licensing. Always! I mean really! I'd like to see one sticky which covers licensing, what restriction really means (i.e. you can restrict a Fireblade if you really need to, but should be shot if you do) and link to tax calculator and a nice bold statement of insurance companies give quotes not internet forums.</rant>
    Good idea for a stickie. Here's an excellent site written in plain man's language and good diagrams explaining the various parts of an engine.

Ok, it's written more with the car in mind, but the principals are more or less the same. For example, here's a good explaination of how combustion works

( also great for explaining computers, military technology, biology etc http://www.howstuffworks.com/ )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Another good site: http://www.dansmc.com/mc_repaircourse.htm

Dorsanty wrote: »

+1 the FAQ badly needs replacing, it still has Hibernian as a bike insurer on it on it :pac:
    The MAG Ireland Bikers Are Voters campaign sticky could be dropped unless were waiting for the next election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

bump before it's archived

• Advertisement
Advertisement