Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Killer Pussy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

I don't care if you think I'm reading too much into it or not. I see derogatory posts about cats all the time, and again, given the day to day violence directed against animals and cats in particular, I don't think its funny.

i'm not getting at you metaoblivia, i'm just shocked at your strongly worded post thats all..

i don't take violence towards cats lightly (or any animal for that matter)

you don't have to find it funny, i'm not saying that, i just don't think the lecture (for me anyway - as i was one that thanked wibbs post) was necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I don't care if you think I'm reading too much into it or not. I see derogatory posts about cats all the time, and again, given the day to day violence directed against animals and cats in particular, I don't think its funny.

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

and here was me thinking that this thread was about that film about the girl with fangs in her vag, and went around chopping d**ks off :pac:

i'm really disappointed with this thread :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

i'm not getting at you metaoblivia, i'm just shocked at your strongly worded post thats all..

i don't take violence towards cats lightly (or any animal for that matter)

you don't have to find it funny, i'm not saying that, i just don't think the lecture (for me anyway - as i was one that thanked wibbs post) was necessary.

Seriously? Of all the things on the Internet, you're shocked by a post that supports cats? Says it all really. :)

stovelid wrote: »
    ?

That's so post #48. You could at least try to be original.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

You could at least try to be original.

Jesus. Now that is a fail. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Cats aren't evil, they aren't plotting against you, they aren't arrogant; they can't be any of those things because they're just cats.

There was a kitten in our area who went around terrorising the place. He bred fear into every other cat in the neighbourhood, until the cowered to him & became his servents.

With his army of cats behind him, he then set upon attacking all other species of animal for a 50 mile radius - dogs, mice, rats, sheep, cows - wiping out thousands of them, all in an effort to create a pure race of cats.

They called him Heir Kitler.

So don't tell me that cats are just cats & can't be evil coz I've seen what they can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

Seriously? Of all the things on the Internet, you're shocked by a post that supports cats? Says it all really. :)

i'm not shocked you support cats for gods sake.

i'm shocked that you think that i don't know about animal violence :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Aids By Google

lol @ replies

/tkxy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Wibbs wrote: »
    Best test of this. Coming home drunk as a skunk especially if youre a man with mates in tow. A cat will bolt for the flap or start hissing. A dog will be all "yay! drunk blokes!!!" will fit right in soak up the attention and realise that drunk blokes are daft and sentimental so will play on this and get half the rasher sandwiches you cook up as a midnight snack. Dogs also eat the foods we eat to a greater extent. So less leftovers go in the bin. So they're green too. Plus you have to walk the buggers which is good for the health.

I seen this last year, really interesting Horizon episode on Dogs relationship with Humans.

There are six parts in total.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgL3uQvLNEs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

There was a kitten in our area who went around terrorising the place. He bred fear into every other cat in the neighbourhood, until the cowered to him & became his servents.

With his army of cats behind him, he then set upon attacking all other species of animal for a 50 mile radius - dogs, mice, rats, sheep, cows - wiping out thousands of them, all in an effort to create a pure race of cats.

They called him Heir Kitler.

So don't tell me that cats are just cats & can't be evil coz I've seen what they can do.
    LOL - there really was a kitten in the apartment complex where I live who scared the sh1te out of all the other cats that were way bigger than her. She was hilarious.

I love both but if I had to choose one, I'd pick a cat - purely because I wouldn't be there all the time and this can be quite upsetting for dogs, whereas cats are independent anyway. A cat is very affectionate once it gets to know you though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I went from thinking cats were boring to really liking them to thinking they were arseholes. I kind of wish my two would just disappear now that I know how fake all their affectionate gestures were over the years, the scheming gets.

I've always thought dogs were idiots, very little time for them.

Goats, now there's an animal it's hard not to love.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm not going to make any friends with this post, but I have to say that the level of ignorance on display by people like Wibbs (and everyone who thanked his post) is appalling.
    eh it was a joke.
    Cats are wonderful animals. Do they have their drawbacks? Of course they do. So do dogs. So does every animal that people chose to keep as pets. But to be so narrow minded that all you see about a species is the bad, or to in any way suggest that the bad outweighs the good and that people who like that particular animal must be in some way inferior or untrustworthy, says a lot more about you than it does about cats or their owners.
    Again I refer you to the jokey aspect.

As for narrow minded. I like rats. Most people freak out about rats and consider them disease carrying vermin. They're no worse or better than cats or especially birds and actually make very good pets. Many people wouldnt think twice about killing a rat, though most would get someone else or their cat/dog to do it.
    The fact is, there's a lot of violence directed toward cats, and in part, its attitude's like Wibbs that contribute to it. Not too long ago in my area, a teenage boy went around stealing peoples' cats. He mutilated and killed 19 cats before he was finally caught.
    Lets ease off the gas there a second as that is a bit of a stretch. He was a nutter(clinical term). End of. Some nutters kill dogs and horses and birds and rodents and anything else they can get their hands on.
    Just because they were cats doesn't make them of any less value than if they were dogs. But sadly, a lot of people here would probably disagree with that. And so the cruelty against cats continues, not because everyone who dislikes cats is a cat killer but because they tend not to take animal cruelty as seriously when it happens to a cat.
    Well I would. Ive worked as a volunteer for the ISPC http://www.ispca.ie/ so I would have more experience of animal cruelty than you I'd warrant. Ive seen such cruelty up close. Not just the overt nutter type either. The creeps that claim to be animal lovers who keep their pets of all hues in sometimes appalling conditions.

Cat are more likely to carry disease than dogs. But if you take your cat to the vet regularly like you're supposed to, that's a non issue. It becomes even more of an non issue if your cat is an indoor cat.
    Even then its not. Both birds and cats carry more communicable diseases than dogs. Actually if you want to be really safe and free from allergens then reptiles are probably your best bet. They've been implicated in the transmission of salmonella, but that's almost entirely down to their living conditions and health, with a side order of scare tactics to stop morons keeping red eared turtles/sliders in horrible conditions that kill them within a year.
    Cats can be very personable. It all depends on how you socialize them. One thing dog owners don't "get" is that many cats are very affectionate and loyal to their owners and no one else. My mother's cat Rosie is a great example of this. Rosie loves my mom. She follows her everywhere, she waits at the front door for her to come home from work. When my mom goes out of town for a few days, Rosie sits in her bedroom and refuses to leave even to eat until my mom comes back. Rosie doesn't give a damn about anyone else - that's true. But she's absolutely devoted to my mother, and they have a wonderful bond.
    Of course as she sees your mum as her parent. While domestic cats have a loose pack order in a large groups, they're not pack animals like dogs(and humans). So they will only tend to bond exclusively with one person(the parent), with vague bonding with others. Dogs will bond with more. Depending on the breed and temperament this will vary in its scope. Wolves will only bond with the pack they've grown up with. Its very rare an outsider will be accepted. This would extend to humans who try. Many working dog breeds the same all the way down to some breeds and individuals who will accept nearly anyone.
    Cats are useful. They kill small, wild animals that really do pose a risk of carrying diseases, like rats, field mice, birds, squirrels, lizards and snakes (all of those animals have gotten into my mom's house before and Rosie has killed them all).
    The less cute animals. The vermin. Depending on which part of the US you live in squirrels can carry and transmit the plague bacilli. either in the fleas they carry or in themselves. So yes that could be damned useful as a couple of people a year are exposed. A fact that many Irish readers would be surprised about when you mention "cute" squirrels in that list. Mice carry few enough diseases, though again plague could be an issue. Whats more an issue in both cases is that a cat could bring plague into the home, because its more likely to predate on the very species likely to carry it. Lizards carry bugger all human communicable diseases and are entirely harmless, unless again you live in a part of the US where Gila monster lizards are local to you. Even then you would want to be pretty daft to get bitten by one. Snakes, I'll give you in fairness. In any case all of the above would be taken out far more efficiently by a terrier.

Then we come to birds. The commonest threat to native species of wild birds are cats. Along with the rat, they have succeeded in wiping out or severely depleting bird populations in many places where they were introduced. If anyones cat doesnt have a bell around its neck you're adding to this problem. http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:s7ixkjSCQHwJ:news.mongabay.com/2008/0714-cagan_interview.html+cats+and+bird+extinction&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie&client=firefox-a I cached the page to make it easier to findthe relevant bits.
    In the years prior to the Black Death, cats were demonized and many were killed because they were perceived as evil. This allowed the rat population to grow exponentially, resulting in huge numbers of rats that helped spread the Bubonic plague. Households that still had a cat were less likely to contract the disease.
    And dogs too. Read your history. They were equally and stupidly demonised. But I agree 100% it was a damned stupid thing to do.
    And cats have aided humans in other ways. They've alerted their owners to fires, on-coming seizures, and believe it or not they have even been service animals to the disabled.
    In comparison to dogs its not even close.
    Cats aren't evil, they aren't plotting against you, they aren't arrogant; they can't be any of those things because they're just cats. You can accept them for what they are, or you can whinge about how they're not more like a completely different species of animal. :pac:
    :D actually like I said in my original post a very pack orientated dog is more likely to plot against you, especially if you pick the alpha dominant type as a pup.
    metaoblivia, i thanked wibbs post because it was funny. if he had have made a funny derogatory post about dogs, i would have thanked that.

i love cats and i love dogs.

i think you're reading way too much into it..
    Exactly. It was a bit of a laugh. I dont mind cats, but I prefer dogs. Simple as that. I even had a cat years back and while he didnt engage as much as a dog, he was grand. Certainly less in need of the families attention and interaction. When he died :( I did promise myself I wouldnt get another though. Too often he would return with dead birds. That put me off I have to say. And yes mae culpa I never put a bell on his neck. Ive had a few dogs, including some dominant aggressive types and while they could be tricky and more conniving than any cat, they werent as destructive to the local fauna. Ive never had a dog come back with a dead bird and they were well capable of catching them.

Either way I would never condone cruelty towards any animal. If you have a cat, look after them, love them. Ditto for a dog, bird or hamster. Understand that they are an animal, not a human. Understand what makes them happy in your environment and they will return that. Even animals like reptiles. I have turtles that know me and will follow me and no one else. I knew a guy with a couple of snakes and they clearly responded to him. He also had a red kneed tarantula that would flick her abdomen hairs at people as a defence(bloody itchy too. fibre glass time :s), but would chill right out when he picked her up. A big spider FFS and she seemed to know and respond to him. Because in her tiny brain there was some inkling of respect and safety from him.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Aids By Google

eh it was a joke.

Again I refer you to the jokey aspect.

As for narrow minded. I like rats. Most people freak out about rats and consider them disease carrying vermin. They're no worse or better than cats or especially birds and actually make very good pets. Many people wouldnt think twice about killing a rat, though most would get someone else or their cat/dog to do it.

Lets ease off the gas there a second as that is a bit of a stretch. He was a nutter(clinical term). End of. Some nutters kill dogs and horses and birds and rodents and anything else they can get their hands on. Well I would. Ive worked as a volunteer for the ISPC http://www.ispca.ie/ so I would have more experience of animal cruelty than you I'd warrant. Ive seen such cruelty up close. Not just the overt nutter type either. The creeps that claim to be animal lovers who keep their pets of all hues in sometimes appalling conditions.

Even then its not. Both birds and cats carry more communicable diseases than dogs. Actually if you want to be really safe and free from allergens then reptiles are probably your best bet. They've been implicated in the transmission of salmonella, but that's almost entirely down to their living conditions and health, with a side order of scare tactics to stop morons keeping red eared turtles/sliders in horrible conditions that kill them within a year.

Of course as she sees your mum as her parent. While domestic cats have a loose pack order in a large groups, they're not pack animals like dogs(and humans). So they will only tend to bond exclusively with one person(the parent), with vague bonding with others. Dogs will bond with more. Depending on the breed and temperament this will vary in its scope. Wolves will only bond with the pack they've grown up with. Its very rare an outsider will be accepted. This would extend to humans who try. Many working dog breeds the same all the way down to some breeds and individuals who will accept nearly anyone.
    The less cute animals. The vermin. Depending on which part of the US you live in squirrels can carry and transmit the plague bacilli. either in the fleas they carry or in themselves. So yes that could be damned useful as a couple of people a year are exposed. A fact that many Irish readers would be surprised about when you mention "cute" squirrels in that list. Mice carry few enough diseases, though again plague could be an issue. Whats more an issue in both cases is that a cat could bring plague into the home, because its more likely to predate on the very species likely to carry it. Lizards carry bugger all human communicable diseases and are entirely harmless, unless again you live in a part of the US where Gila monster lizards are local to you. Even then you would want to be pretty daft to get bitten by one. Snakes, I'll give you in fairness. In any case all of the above would be taken out far more efficiently by a terrier.

Then we come to birds. The commonest threat to native species of wild birds are cats. Along with the rat, they have succeeded in wiping out or severely depleting bird populations in many places where they were introduced. If anyones cat doesnt have a bell around its neck you're adding to this problem. http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:s7ixkjSCQHwJ:news.mongabay.com/2008/0714-cagan_interview.html+cats+and+bird+extinction&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie&client=firefox-a I cached the page to make it easier to findthe relevant bits. And dogs too. Read your history. They were equally and stupidly demonised. But I agree 100% it was a damned stupid thing to do.

In comparison to dogs its not even close.

:D actually like I said in my original post a very pack orientated dog is more likely to plot against you, especially if you pick the alpha dominant type as a pup.

Exactly. It was a bit of a laugh. I dont mind cats, but I prefer dogs. Simple as that. I even had a cat years back and while he didnt engage as much as a dog, he was grand. Certainly less in need of the families attention and interaction. When he died :( I did promise myself I wouldnt get another though. Too often he would return with dead birds. That put me off I have to say. And yes mae culpa I never put a bell on his neck. Ive had a few dogs, including some dominant aggressive types and while they could be tricky and more conniving than any cat, they werent as destructive to the local fauna. Ive never had a dog come back with a dead bird and they were well capable of catching them.

Either way I would never condone cruelty towards any animal. If you have a cat, look after them, love them. Ditto for a dog, bird or hamster. Understand that they are an animal, not a human. Understand what makes them happy in your environment and they will return that. Even animals like reptiles. I have turtles that know me and will follow me and no one else. I knew a guy with a couple of snakes and they clearly responded to him. He also had a red kneed tarantula that would flick her abdomen hairs at people as a defence(bloody itchy too. fibre glass time :s), but would chill right out when he picked her up. A big spider FFS and she seemed to know and respond to him. Because in her tiny brain there was some inkling of respect and safety from him.

I think you were well trolled there :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

When are people gonna realise, don't f*ck with the Wibbs

• Advertisement

Wibbs, you are the most verbiose poster on this board, bar none!

As much as I would love to fully respond - because I can talk a lot too - I have two problems: I'm on my iPhone and I really don't want to hijack the thread more than I already have. I'll pm you when I get home in a few hours, as I've said my piece and stand by every word. What's left to say is trivialities, and I like to save those for PMs.

Oh and Slasher, I'm a modern woman. I'll f*ck (with) whomever I want.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

When are people gonna realise, don't f*ck with the Wibbs
    Yes, you will be rendered senseless with boredom Wibbsed.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Oh and Slasher, I'm a modern woman. I'll f*ck (with) whomever I want.
    :eek: Good God woman, you said those words in After Hours? Brave. Very brave. Battle of thermopylae brave. *salutes* :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Ding ding! OK girls, seconds out. Back to your corners. By corners I mean kitchens.

/runs away. :pac:

Can't fucking wait for Abigayle to see that... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Yes, you will be rendered senseless with boredom Wibbsed.
    Promise? ;)
    Dudess wrote: »
    Can't fucking wait for Abigayle to see that... :pac:
    You rang m'lady :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Yes, you will be rendered senseless with boredom Wibbsed. shagged senseless by Wibbs at some stage, take a ticket.

FYP.

I smell a fight when metabolivia gets home so I'm staying on. :D

Pillow, mud, jelly or hot oil?

Surprise me. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Every dog smells it's own .

This thread has cocked leg over ( all over it ) :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Metaoblivia. I thanked Wibbs post because I thought it was funny. I also thanked it because I freely admit to preferring dogs to cats - AFAIK, that is not an unpardonable crime!

I don't particularly dislike cats, in fact, my children have one - and she is extremely well cared for.

I thanked a clearly humorous (and factual) post, as did several others. Your post suggests that this condones animal cruelty....Er, how?:confused:
    For the record, I do not condone cruelty, and have frequently rescued animals/birds in distress - including cats! My children have been taught to do likewise.

In the society that I live in, there is nothing morally unacceptable in a: Preferring one species to another, and b: having a sense of humour.:(

Noreen

I thanked Wibbs for the craic. Like, come on, it's wibbs? Who's too bland to thank the legend? Oh, wait......

I'm going to go thank every single post wibbs made in this thread. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Bonito wrote: »
    Ding ding! OK girls, seconds out. Back to your corners. By corners I mean kitchens.

/runs away. :pac:

:D:D

Dudess wrote: »
    Pillow, mud, jelly or hot oil?
    Catnip.

• Advertisement

I just realised I already had all wibbs's posts thanked. :o

I think I'll go take them back. Metabolivia is pretty hawt. Sorry wibbsy. Going with downstairs for this one. :D

Wait. I think she's state side. You could be safe wibbsy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Tail Wagger

If you died in a room with cats, they will eat you to survive if they couldn't get out.

A dog will lie down with you and wait to die before he would feed off you to stay alive.

knew of a case over 30 years ago, a lady went off for a couple of days leaving her pets in doors, one dog and 4 cats. She arrived back after a full week to find the dog still alive, he survived on eating the 4 cats?... true story.

He initiated a pre-emptive strike. :cool: Smart doggy.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I met a Bolivian, he said "Stay off the chicken
    Or you may end up a slaphead, stickin' your dick in
    Where it's just not wanted
    You ph4g," he taunted
    "Stay out my crib 'cause my house is haunted"

Not sure where this is going, but I'm going to bed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Cat owners would worry me anyway. They make a virtue of disloyalty independence and selfishness in their chosen pets. I'd trust a dog owner more.

End rant :eek::D

You don't choose a cat, the cat chooses you.:pac:

If they're not happy they will walk, tail high in the air because they don't actually need us.

I like the fact that they stay because they want to, not just because you feed them.

But in saying that, I would miss the company of my dog more than I would miss the cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Why does a dog lick his balls??

Because he can

Legends :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

These yolks are gonna strip her quicker than a lake full of pirhanas, if she crokes and they can't get out that is. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

A catastrophe waiting to happen.:eek:

The sheer amount of moggies are definitely going to act as a catalyst in that catastrophe. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Wow , just wow . I think I need to take some time away from Boards after that .:pac:

Note to self :- If your going to have a pet , get a goldfish .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

I do pet portrait photography - it's a great little earner, but sometimes the results are quite surprising and often even shock the owners. Especially the cats.

Here's some examples ....

http://images.quizfarm.com/1101402295pissedattheworldcat.jpg

i believe this cat is wanted for questioning over the assassination of JFK...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭lilliec

whiteman19 wrote: »
    and here was me thinking that this thread was about that film about the girl with fangs in her vag, and went around chopping d**ks off :pac:

i'm really disappointed with this thread :P

i thought the exact same thing-brilliantly funny film by the way-i thought i'd be scared but laughed through it...
    thud! and it falling out of the dogs mouth onto the floor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Holly Flipping Monkey Sh!t o_O

Super Kitteh defending your baby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

TheZohan wrote: »
    Source

dogs > cats

Presumably the Mutt was locked into the House?

- If he could have gotten out he'd have fcuked off to Vegas with her ATM Card and the sexy Bitch from down the Street :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 DLMFILMS

Has anyone ever heard of a cat killing people? I mean we're heard of dogs doing it but cats?

Yes, I just did, on broadsheet.
    http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/04/16/hell-cat/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

Guys, guys seriously. A cat v dog thread?
    With Serious Business posts?

Seriously guys.

Cat people and Dog people are as bad as eachother.

Guys, guys seriously. A cat v dog thread?
    With Serious Business posts?

Seriously guys.

Cat people and Dog people are as bad as eachother.
    Don't you have a pussy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 DLMFILMS

Overheal wrote: »
    Holly Flipping Monkey Sh!t o_O

Super Kitteh defending your baby.

http://youtu.be/t8j9Q-wslX4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

People who think that cats don't have the same personality, loyalty or offer the same kind of companionship as a dog just don't spend enough time around cats. Sure, dogs are more in your face about it (which is kind of annoying in itself), but if you own a cat for long enough and look after it properly (which I've found a lot of people don't because they think a cat doesn't need the same level of care as a dog, and just leave them outdoors and feed them once in a while), you'll see what great pets they are. Cats are great companions. Unlike dogs, you have to earn the loyalty and trust of a cat, it's not just there right from the beginning. But when you do, they are incredibly loving creatures. My old cat (sadly died) loved each and every one of us in the family. It took a while though. When we first got him, he was terrified of us and everything, but after a few months came round and eventually became a part of the family, particularly attached to my father (followed him around the house, sprawled out on Dad's chest when he was watching television, sleeping at the foot of the bed when Dad was bed-ridden for a time during illness). He was one of the best pets we've ever had, and typically my father hates cats (we only got him on my insistence), but he loved that cat.

They do have different personalities - my friend's family own seven cats, and trust me, after spending a lot of time around them, it is clear that they all have different personalities.

Also, the whole 'dogs won't eat you when you're dead, a cat will' thing is dumb. So what if a cat eats you? What do you care? You're dead.

I prefer cats to dogs any day. Does that mean some people will think I'm disloyal or a narcissist? Don't really care. Pretty ridiculous to judge someone on their pet preferences without knowing them.

All that said, both dogs and cats make great pets, but cats, in my experience, just need more time before they'll hand over their loyalty and respect. You have to earn it. Contrary to popular belief, I actually think cats are harder work than dogs (in the sense of getting to know them). Maybe that's why some people don't like them. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Hot Lips wrote: »
    If you died in a room with cats, they will eat you to survive if they couldn't get out.

A dog will lie down with you and wait to die before he would feed off you to stay alive.

I would hazard a guess that 99% of people who were locked in a room with their pet cat or dog who had died would eventually overcome their love for the animal and eat them in order to survive and a large percentage of those would probably kill the animal for food before it died if it meant their own survival. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement