Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHV leaving date

Options
  • 27-04-2010 3:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭

My WHV ends on the 26th Jun but I'd like to fly out in Monday 28th and have the weekend to relax and prepare. Is there a day or two leeway with this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

m@cc@ wrote: »
    My WHV ends on the 26th Jun but I'd like to fly out in Monday 28th and have the weekend to relax and prepare. Is there a day or two leeway with this?

No not officially you are meant to leave by midnight 26th and can get punished by staying over it all depends on the guy you get at customs on the way out of the country! Some of them let you away with it while some come down on you! The punishment is a ban from oz for 3 years I think! how ever if you want to come back in you have to prove you need to come back for family reasons etc.

I know a guy who got away with overstaying two weeks as he had documentation to prove he wasn't working, hotel receipts in different areas but I also know a guy who overstayed by a day and got banned so its luck of draw really!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

Essentially, nope. When your visa's up you have to go and that's about it. AFAIK you can't apply for a tourist visa from a WHV while in Australia so you won't be able to go down that route to extend your stay, plus unless you have extraordinary reasons as to why you can't travel, I reckon immigration would take a dim view of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

You can stay, but this will cause issues at security, and if you ever want to head back to aus they this will bite ya again

A friend of mine had the same problem, she had her flight changed to 9am the day after her visa was up, at the time she didn't think about it and only realised when she got to the airport, they made a big deal about it and made her buy a return ticket home (she was going to New Zealand to travel, then back to aus for 2months travelling) since she didn't buy a Aus -> ireland flight they made her get it before she returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Delorian

Traq wrote: »
    AFAIK you can't apply for a tourist visa from a WHV while in Australia

Anyone know for sure about this one? I'm more interested in NZ as I know someone here who might make use of that transition, I will likely come across it again, and a friend was fairly sure you could move from a working visa to a holiday one.

Maybe I should ask this in a new thread or ask immigration, I just know you get different answers from different ppl you talk to in immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

Just checked and the immi site states the following:
    If you apply for a Tourist visa while in Australia on a Working Holiday visa, it can only be granted in exceptional circumstances, such as being unfit to travel.

You can of course leave for NZ for a bit of a holiday and then come back in on a tourist visa after your WHV expires, you just can't go directly from a WHV to a tourist visa within Australia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Just beware that some people often go on a 'visa run' to NZ, If you spent a full year or 2 on a WHV then go to NZ and return on a tourist visa you might be pulled.

I heard of it happening to someone immigration suspected he was intending to return to his old job after a 5 day holiday in Queenstown, he had a ticket to Heathrow and everything but they still refused him.

Advertisement