Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few work issues, advice please?

Options
  • 27-04-2010 8:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭

Ok here goes and thanks for taking the time to read this post. Now were to start. Well i currently work three 12 hour shifts a week. My company is open monday morning to friday evening at seven weekends are condsidered overtime. Now there a few issues im wondering can people help me with.

1. We get all our overtime cash into hand, and boss now want to go legitmate (before people give out im glad we are) but im just wondering when working overtime say on saturday, sunday or bank holidays what are the set rates for hourly pay? such as double time triple time etc.

2. Hes recently brought in this new rule were if we work sundays when were busy we get an extra hundred euro but if its quiet and were rostered in for that sunday and he decides were not busy enough to work it we have to take a days holiday? is that allowed?

3. We work 12 hours but yet dont take any lunch breaks, anyone know what youd usually be entitled to on a 12 hour shift?

4. When working three 12 hour shifts can bank holidays be considered part of your working week?

5. If were working should we be geting an extra percentage in our wage as shift allowance?

As you can guess theres currently a lot of unhappy staff boss taking adavantage of the recession. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭eejoynt

This turns on the difference as between whats in the law and what is commonly applied.

Firstly if you accept cash in hand you 'taint your contract ' and opt out of ANY labour law rights.

shift rates are not set out in law - nor are overtime rates which are set out only for Sunday where the law says 'the prevailing rate ' must apply

for breaks follow this link

http://www.unionconnect.ie/rights/3/

in addition use the NERA website

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I used to work 3 12 hour shifts in a factory in 2002. It was very unionised ,this is what we had:

1. 3 x 12 hour shifts was 36 hours, up to 39 hrs was flat pay, 39-45 was time and a half. 30-45 on a Sunday was double time. time over 45 hrs was double time.

2. If we were rostered for overtime(36 hrs plus) as an extra day and then sent home early, we would just not get paid.

3. We had 3 paid 1/2 hour breaks.

4. When there was a bank holiday, we would work 2 shifts and get paid for 36hours. If we worked the bank holiday, ie 3 shifts then we would get double pay for the Monday.

5. We only got shift allowance if we worked nights. I worked 6 am to 6pm , After I left they started a week of days a week of nights, then they got paid a shift allowance.

Hope that helps...

Advertisement