Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric gates - actuators stuck

Options
  • 27-04-2010 8:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭

Have had probs with electric gates for past few weeks. Had electrican out to confirm that power was ok and it is but he says actuators ('arms' on gates?) are stuck. Anyone know of anybody in Wexford who could sort this for me? Have been quoted €140 an hour for labour from one outfit so am looking for something a bit more reasonable!!

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Sorry I can't help. I would not pay that price either.

I suggest that you try the links below to find a registered electrical contractors in your area.

http://www.ecssa.ie/find_contractor.html

http://www.reci.ie/ConsumerServices/Findanelectrician/tabid/57/Default.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Spannerman7

Are they above or below ground, if below it may be somthing very simple, 140/hr is dreamland, I suspect they are very quiet. We may be able to sort it out here or point you in the right direction if you give us more details of what was happening and photographs.
    Spannerman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Mocrie14

Are they above or below ground, if below it may be somthing very simple, 140/hr is dreamland, I suspect they are very quiet. We may be able to sort it out here or point you in the right direction if you give us more details of what was happening and photographs.
    Spannerman

Thanks for that. Will put up some photos over the next couple of days.
    Am getting another electrican to take a look on Fri. The 'arms' are above gound. There is one horizontally attached to each gate, connected to hinge on pillar.

OK Folks - please see photo of 'actuators'. Am still waiting on electrican to confirm that power is going to the gates but I'm certain it is.

All thoughts appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Spannerman7

Take out the pin or bolt attaching the actuator to the gate, are the gates moving without much resistance, what were the symptoms, did it give up all of a sudden or was there anything strange in the build up to now, will the operate with out the load of the gate on them and are there any grease points on the actuators, with a bit of luck it is just sticking due to lack of lubrication and not electrical.
    Spannerman

• Advertisement

Take out the pin or bolt attaching the actuator to the gate, are the gates moving without much resistance, what were the symptoms, did it give up all of a sudden or was there anything strange in the build up to now, will the operate with out the load of the gate on them and are there any grease points on the actuators, with a bit of luck it is just sticking due to lack of lubrication and not electrical.
    Spannerman

Thanks for that, will take a look. The gates did stop suddenly. I zapped them open one night coming home and they never closed after me. Previous to that (about 3 weeks ago), the gate stop broke and I had to leave them open until I got it sorted but they were working fine after that. Would have expected the gates to be trying to close though and they don't seem to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

are the beams that prevent gate closing when a car is between gates operating functioning correctly.quick test is to check by moving hand over beams and you should hear a little click from the relay in one.maybe just insect inside.if you can open control panel and post a picture that may help.cheers

meercat wrote: »
    are the beams that prevent gate closing when a car is between gates operating functioning correctly.quick test is to check by moving hand over beams and you should hear a little click from the relay in one.maybe just insect inside.if you can open control panel and post a picture that may help.cheers

Thanks for your reply...you might be on to something there. There is no 'click' when I move by hand over the beams. Is raining here at the moment so will have a good look in the morning. Have an electrician calling in the morning also so hopefully we'll get to the bottom of it.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

if the beams are on posts they may just have to be realligned.if they are on the brickwork its unlikely that they have moved.ask the sparks to bridge out the contacts and then check operation of gates.

meercat wrote: »
    if the beams are on posts they may just have to be realligned.if they are on the brickwork its unlikely that they have moved.ask the sparks to bridge out the contacts and then check operation of gates.

The beams are on the brickwork (pillars) but will have them checked thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement