Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restoration of Sligo's built heritage

Options
  • 27-04-2010 8:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

I have noticed how many buildings around Sligo are in some need of restoration either, to the fabric of the buildings or some of the architectural details such as Iron Work. A number building such as the library across from the Bank of Ireland, have had a number repairs and add-ons to its iron work that are dreadful and bare no relation to the original forge work. Why are we content to allow our built heritage to be dissolved in this way? And are any of you bothered by this? I am, I feel these things that are small in them self’s but help to build a diverse and interesting streetscape that enrich all our life’s. If you do agree with me, what can we do to reverse this trend?
    Can you list any other buildings that need attention or have been restored to a high standard.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

i have noticed that the beautifull railings have dissapeared from the methodist chapel in wine street such a shame , i didnt think we were still scrapping our heritage to build spitfires anymore!! :rolleyes:

on a positive note it is nice to see that the art deco gates of the orriginal cinema have been kept and are a feature of the entrance of the new one :)

amazing amount of feedback you're getting forging fool !! I just don't think that people around here care about our built heritage , so much has been lost and all we got in return was the concrete boxes built by greed that now blight our towns and villages and most of them empty. the style of building used in this country is so bland , gone are the regional styles that made our areas unique.
    the art of thatching is on its last legs as cost of insurance on thatched houses is inhibitive i am sure that government could save the individuality by a few small actions but i dont think that they care very much either and is a bit late for most areas . any way could rant for ages , beige people deserve beige houses!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

In a country riddled with gombeenism and hypocrisy, what do you expect? A chamber of commerce obsessed with preserving the status quo, a planning department which crucifies people who want to build modest homes where they are from but yet hideous 80's style estates destroy every town and village in the county with no reference to the local vernacular. We've a one horse town/county run by shysters and morons with double standards endemic throughout. Not even the tourist board seem bothered about bringing tourists to the place, though I suppose, in their defence, it's hard to sell a town full of broken concrete pavements, traffic congestion and seriously in need of a coat of paint (ever look up as you walk around town?).
    Only a few years back, Hargadon's was de-listed in an attempt to clear space for Johnston's Court. The railings outside the library are representative of the neglect old buildings used to suffer in years gone by. I doubt there's many such buildings (i.e. public) that didn't get the full monty when Bertie was lashing our tax money around. The town hall and courthouse got it. The library and gaol didn't. Maybe Sligo's officials didn't care enough to bother asking? Seeing as they don't care where people pee, I'd say it's a possibility. I suppose we can hold it until 2014. Sligo efficiency, eh?

ah yes the loo saga they should change the tourist slogan from sligo is suprising to sligo sphincters of steel !!:D

Advertisement