Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MTB Slick Tyres - what size tubes

• 27-04-2010 10:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Just looking for a quick answer on this...

Have a MTB I'm using for the Connemara Adventure Challenge on May 8th.
    This is part Forest track, part paved road, so I'm throwing slicks on it to improve speed on the road section.

I already have slick 1.5 inche tyres.
    As I'll be buying spare tubes for the race, are there specific tubes I should be getting for these thinner tyres ?
    Does the tube size have any impact on the effort required in getting the tube pumped to the correct pressure - ie is it easier with slimmer tubes?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

bump...

anyone got the answer to this?

Might take a trip to bike shop on my lunch break, would be handy to be informed before I go in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

26x1.5-2.0 will do.

You should get 80psi into the tyres, so Its just the same if not harder than pumping into a bigger tyre.

You know that you could get a set of XC tyres? If its anyways mucky or wet your screwed.

kona wrote: »
    26x1.5-2.0 will do.

You should get 80psi into the tyres, so Its just the same if not harder than pumping into a bigger tyre.

You know that you could get a set of XC tyres? If its anyways mucky or wet your screwed.

Cheers for that - my tyres are rated 65psi, so assume I shouldn't go more than that.
    Thinking of heading down there the week before to check out the conditions, if bad I might consider different tyres.

I presume the XC tyres you refer to are something like this:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18895
    or this:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18826

Obviously, they'll all be much better than knobbly tyres, will they lose some speed on the road though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"Forest Track"?

Do you mean a dirt track through a forest (i.e. somewhere that's a path purely because people have walked on it), or a fire road?

As kona says, if it's wet at all, slicks will be useless on a dirt track. They'll work OKish on a fire road. In either case, once you get any speed up you'll be all over the place. Slicks do not react well to loose stones and mud over 20km/h.

Something like this would be more suited to your needs. I can't vouch for this particular tyre, but something slightly wider with tread at the sides will give you stability over dirt tracks, and the "slick" center tread will give you speed on the tarmac.

Edit: The contact reflexes you link to above may work too, but they seem to be designed for scenarios where you're riding 90% on-road and only 10% off-road. If you're going for 50-50, you'll need a little more tread.

Cheers for that - my tyres are rated 65psi, so assume I shouldn't go more than that.
    Thinking of heading down there the week before to check out the conditions, if bad I might consider different tyres.

I presume the XC tyres you refer to are something like this:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18895
    or this:

Obviously, they'll all be much better than knobbly tyres, will they lose some speed on the road though?

The second tyre there is the job!

Ye if its rated 65 only go 65. You will need the ground to be quite firm to get away with slicks

• Advertisement

Thanks again for replies...

How long do CRC take for delivery if I was to order a pair ?

I assume either the 2nd ones I linked or the ones seamus linked are much of a muchness, trade-off of price v speed, or are the more expensive ones really worth almost twice the price ?

Edit:-
    From the Event website, here's the info on what bike to choose.
    http://www.gaelforceevents.com/connemara/

The cycling section of the Connemara Adventure Challenge covers two types of terrain; the first is forestry roads, these are rough wide tracks through the forest, the second section of the route covers sealed main roads.
    Which type of bike you choose to use is a personal choice. But here is some advice.

* Hybrid - Suitable
    * Mountain bike - You can put slick tires on to increase speed on road.
    * Cycle cross - Good for both terrains.
    * A racer is not suitable for the forestry track.

Thats where I was basing my slicks from, assuming if they were advising hybrids, though a course check may be worthwhile.

Thanks again for replies...

I assume either the 2nd ones I linked or the ones seamus linked are much of a muchness, trade-off of price v speed, or are the more expensive ones really worth almost twice the price ?

Cheap tyres, like cheap bikes are a false economy.

Expect the tyres on thursday/friday if you order now.

If you ordered tyres within the next two hours, you'll have them either Friday or Monday by my experience. If you order express shipping, you'll have them on Thursday.
    It's all about specs. The second ones you link to have a Kevlar weave which makes them very puncture resistant. Anti-stab vests are made from Kevlar.
    From the Event website, here's the info on what bike to choose.
    They recommend cyclo cross bikes there. Here's cyclo cross tyres, just for illustration, which should help you decide what to go for:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/c/cycle/7/Tyres_-_Cyclocross/

Full slicks are a no-no. But it appears to be 50/50 forestry(fire) roads/tarmac so you'll get away with something quite slick.

Looking at the reviews for another version of the tyre you've picked there, I don't think you'll go far wrong with them unless it turns out to be very wet. If the weather is like it is today though, they'll do the job. If you do lose any speed on the fire road, you'll quickly get it back on the road.

Thanks for all the help guys - I've plumbed for the Kevlar Continentals, ordered this morning.

Working from home next week, so should be there to collect them.

Best of luck in May!

• Advertisement

Delivered today, wow that was fast.

Quick question - I noticed on the tyre wall that it says to mount only on hooked rims - are bog standard MTB rims hooked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Quick question - I noticed on the tyre wall that it says to mount only on hooked rims - are bog standard MTB rims hooked?
    Yes. All standard rims that you find on 99.9% of bikes are hooked. The other type is tubular where you have to glue the tyre on. Trust me, you don't have that :pac: they will be fine.

EDIT: Actually Google informs me that there is an older standard of straight-edged rims that take a clincher but don't hold it so securely. You don't have this either though, it is even deader than tubulars.

The "hook" is the little ridges either side that hold the bead of the tyre secure on the rim under pressure:

mavcruzt.jpg

Advertisement