Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What makes a macro lens?

• 27-04-2010 10:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

This might seem to some as a bit of a stupid question, but here goes anyway:

I have a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens and a Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 USM Macro lens. The 60mm is sold as a macro lens while the 50mm is not.
    What I want to know is what attributes must a lens have to make it a macro lens, as opposed to a non-macro lens.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

This might seem to some as a bit of a stupid question, but here goes anyway:

I have a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens and a Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 USM Macro lens. The 60mm is sold as a macro lens while the 50mm is not.
    What I want to know is what attributes must a lens have to make it a macro lens, as opposed to a non-macro lens.

Basically, a macro lens can form, on the image plane, an image which is at least 1:1 WRT the subject. That's the technical definition at least, most manufacturers fudge this though, and slap a 'macro' on any old lens. Pedantically however it's not a macro unless it can do 1:1 and above. I don't know the specs of the 60mm so I don't know whether or not it's actually a macro lens in the proper sense of the word. I presume given that its a canon that it probably is.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

I think what technically makes something a macro lens is if its able to make what is on the film or ccd the same size as it is in real life. A lot of macro lenses seem to be 1:2 or 1:4 which i think means the image on the ccd/film is half or a quarter what is actually is where as 1:1 is true macro. thats my understanding of it anyway, i might be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Both answers above are correct. The EF-S 60mm is a true macro lense. Ie, it can photograph lifesize (1:1). Another attribute of a macro lense is it's close focusing ability.

Advertisement