Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animal Cruelty

Options
  • 27-04-2010 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

As there is no Sligo Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals at the moment, where can I report a case of animal cruelty to?

A friend of my brother's found a young ram deep in an area of forestry on the mountain above Geevagh. The ram was tied to a tree with baling twine. It had clearly been there for some time as it had struggled and the baling twine had torn into its neck and was partially healed, and the twine was also caught around one of its back legs. My brother brought it to a vet who put it on a couple of drips to re-hydrate it and also gave it a couple of injections but sadly it died late last night. :(

Treating an animal like this just isn't on, tying it up miles from anywhere and leaving it to die, so any advice where this can be reported to would be gratefully accepted.

Many thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

There is a Vet in the Environment section of the County Council.
    he may be able to help you out in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

Pete M. wrote: »
    There is a Vet in the Environment section of the County Council.
    he may be able to help you out in this regard.

Try the ISPCA http://www.ispca.ie/ for advice.

And well done for at least helping the poor animal. That kind of treatment is disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Many thanks, will try those. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

You could try contacting the dept. of agriculture, as I think all livestock have to be tagged in some way (is there an ear tag for sheep?), if there is a tag it could be traced back to an owner. I think dept. of agriculture also have vets working for them, as someone else said there is a vet working with the coco.
    You could try contacting sligo animal rescue but I doubt really theres much they could do except maybe advise you on what to do next, http://sligoanimalrescue.weebly.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

oh dear jesus the poor creature.

That just makes me so sad :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Xiney wrote: »
    oh dear jesus the poor creature.

That just makes me so sad :(
    shurley the vet would start the ball rolling in finding the owner, by knowing who to contact at a time like this
    what nasty people there are in this world to treat an innocent helpless little animal like this

goat2 wrote: »
    shurley the vet would start the ball rolling in finding the owner, by knowing who to contact at a time like this
    what nasty people there are in this world to treat an innocent helpless little animal like this

Unfotunately, it wasn't tagged so the owner can't be traced. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I wouldn't mind tying the sick 8astard who did that, to a tree.

I went to the Co. Leitrim ISPCA centre (it's near Arigna) with my brother this afternoon. Five cats there which had been dumped because they were on the point of giving birth, and a seven year old dog dumped because the family wanted a puppy instead. :( :mad:

PLEASE get your cat/dog 'seen to' by the vet. :)

Lots of lovely cats/kittens/dogs looking for a home. :)

There is also nothing we can do about the young ram because

a) it wasn't tagged so the owner can't be traced and
    b) there are no proper animal cruelty laws in Ireland :(

The lady suggested that we write to the newspapers highlighting the case instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Slightly off topic but whats happening with the Sligo Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals at the moment? Were they based in Coolaney?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

rhonin wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but whats happening with the Sligo Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals at the moment? Were they based in Coolaney?

It's been closed the last while as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

genie wrote: »

QUOTE]

You have been sadly misinformed re our laws. We have plenty of laws. Lots of people have been convicted of animal cruelty. It is a crime. Gardai investigate crimes.

Well-intended voluntary charities don't really have a role, you should pick up the phone and report it to the guards, it may well fit in with some other information they have.

LostCovey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

The lady suggested that we write to the newspapers highlighting the case instead.

This response could make one cynical about organisations that see such a case as an opportunity for publicity, rather than a simple crime to be reported & investigated.

LostCovey

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

LostCovey wrote: »
    This response could make one cynical about organisations that see such a case as an opportunity for publicity, rather than a simple crime to be reported & investigated.

LostCovey
    i rang that organisation once too
    i need to get a wild she cat to spay her, i asked for their assistance, there was none, had to get stuff to knock out the cat i put it in her food and was then able to get her looked after, that was 6 yrs ago and she is now more tame sitting on wall, she was a stray back then and barly there with diseases, now she is great

LostCovey wrote: »

QUOTE]

You have been sadly misinformed re our laws. We have plenty of laws. Lots of people have been convicted of animal cruelty. It is a crime. Gardai investigate crimes.

Well-intended voluntary charities don't really have a role, you should pick up the phone and report it to the guards, it may well fit in with some other information they have.

LostCovey

I was only repeating what I was told.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Mate of mine found a dead horse in the Uinshen (spelling?) yesterday while fishing.
    And when the fallen animal chaps were heading down there he called the CoCo etc., they also found a dead sheep.
    There are laws against animal cruelty alright, but it's hard to prosecute, especially if there ain't no tag.
    Sad, but true.

Advertisement