Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gardai to clamp down on unsafe cyclists

• 27-04-2010 10:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭

Saw this on the indo website. Might be of interest here....

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/gardai-to-clamp-down-on-unsafe-cyclists-2153652.html
    By Paul Melia
    Tuesday April 27 2010

CYCLISTS face the prospect of a day in court if caught running red lights or not having safety equipment, including lights and reflectors, on their bicycles.
    Campaigns involving stopping cyclists from running traffic signals and checking safety equipment will be carried out from 5pm to 8pm for the next week, Supt Reid said.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Slydice wrote: »

Anyone know what the legal requirement is regarding carrying lights during summertime?

I'm generally on my commute home around 6/6.30 and haven't bothered with lights for the last month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Oh thank god. I only have to behave myself for 5-8pm next week :p.

I wish all law enforcement was this well sign posted in advance.... i.e. the Revenue Commissioners are only going to audit surname A thru C in 2011.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As much as I welcome this, I very much doubt it'll be the "clamp down" they're claiming.

The last time they did this, I didn't see a single "checkpoint".

Since they're looking for lights & reflectors, then presumably they're going to be running these checks at night, when they will encounter the fewest cyclists. If they're going to stop everyone who doesn't have lights attached to their bikes during daylight, they're going to be stopping pretty much every bike on the road.

Does anyone who comes up with these schemes ever ride a bike?
    Anyone know what the legal requirement is regarding carrying lights during summertime?
    You are legally required to have lights and reflectors equipped on your bike at all times when in a public place. Of all laws, this is probably the most ignored one there is.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

seamus wrote: »

You are legally required to have lights and reflectors equipped on your bike at all times when in a public place. Of all laws, this is probably the most ignored one there is.

It's just dated. When it was first written all or most lights would be permanently attached to a bicycle anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Didn't think reflectors were a legal requirement !

Next thing they'll be checking for mandatory pie plates .....

Or maybe the Euro police will take over and jail everyone with black socks ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

.....and a Bell.

About time too, They should have a look at all the retards cycling around with their brakes unhooked too. That goes for all fixed gear riders too, your gunna need a independant brake.

Its been a while since I looked at the law, but there are loop holes for the lights. Besides you dont need lights if its before lighting up hours.

Garda: "Where are your lights"

Smart ass "oh Id like to report a robbery"

:p

RobFowl wrote: »
    Didn't think reflectors were a legal requirement !

Next thing they'll be checking for mandatory pie plates .....

Or maybe the Euro police will take over and jail everyone with black socks ...

They are, and are supplied with all bikes along with a Bell. No excuse:o .

***Ive no bell or reflectors, I do have a decent lightset.***

Also...
    Since they're looking for lights & reflectors, then presumably they're going to be running these checks at night, when they will encounter the fewest cyclists. If they're going to stop everyone who doesn't have lights attached to their bikes during daylight, they're going to be stopping pretty much every bike on the road.

Article says: "Campaigns involving stopping cyclists from running traffic signals and checking safety equipment will be carried out from 5pm to 8pm for the next week, Supt Reid said"

And that time would account for a lot of commuters.
    kona wrote: »
    They are, and are supplied with all bikes along with a Bell. No excuse:o .

***Ive no bell or reflectors, I do have a decent lightset.***

Not in all case.

For the record, I've a bell, light, rear reflector, but no front reflector...

All things considered, what will they do? they will just tell you to get lights and your on your way.
    Id love if they could because Im sick of stopping at lights, some out of breath overweight jackass on a BSO breaks the lights, then Ive to overtake him, then repeat at each light set. ****ERS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭nachoman

Having lights on your bike before darkness is just dumb, I need to get a helmet though, can't be too careful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Hmm. Will they be cross if I have my lights on during daylight?...
    nachoman wrote:
    Having lights on your bike before darkness is just dumb

Have to disagree there. I run flashing front and rear lights at all times. I reckon I get noticed more than the few times I haven't had them on.

Just to prove few actually read links posted... :D
    All things considered, what will they do? they will just tell you to get lights and your on your way.
    Id love if they could because Im sick of stopping at lights, some out of breath overweight jackass on a BSO breaks the lights, then Ive to overtake him, then repeat at each light set. ****ERS!!!

From the article, again:

"...Last November we ran six operations and used discretionary cautions, giving people a couple of days to appear at a garda station and show that their bike was roadworthy. The focus is not just on targeting cars but vulnerable road users themselves."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

nachoman wrote: »
    Having lights on your bike before darkness is just dumb

that doesn't make much sense, requiring lights to be present on bikes before darkness is silly, but having them there isn't. It does go from bright to darkness at some point..... :) I've been sorry i didn't have lights on my bike during the day before, fog/snow/hail even heavy rain its good to have them......

seamus wrote:

Might be the same bicycle Gardai i've seen going the wrong way down westmorland street a few times... :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Nope, only during lighting up hours:
    Every pedal cycle shall at all times while ridden, or wheeled by a person on foot, in a public place during lighting-up hours be equipped with and, subject to sub-article (2) of this article, show duly lit a front lamp complying with the provisions of sub-article (3) of this article and a rear lamp complying with the provisions of sub-article (4) of this article.
    RobFowl wrote: »
    Didn't think reflectors were a legal requirement

Yep
    (4) (a) In the case of a pedal cycle or a mechanically propelled bicycle used without a side-car, one obligatory rear reflector shall be fitted to the vehicle.

However, if your bike is a racing bike, you could claim exemption from the reflector (article 33) laws, but only if you're done in day time.
    53. Where a person is charged with a contravention in the day time of articles 9, 22, 29 and 33 of these Regulations, it shall be a good defence to show that the vehicle was primarily constructed or adapted for the purpose of racing or trials and was either being used for such purpose or was travelling to or from the venue of a race or trial in which the vehicle had taken part or was intended to take part.
    .....and a Bell.

Again, there's an exemption for racing bikes:
    93. (1) Every pedal cycle (other than a cycle constructed or adapted for use as a racing cycle) while used in a public place shall be fitted with an audible warning device consisting of a bell capable of being heard at a reasonable distance, and no other type of audible warning instrument shall be fitted to a pedal cycle while used in a public place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

el tonto wrote: »
    However, if your bike is a racing bike, you could claim exemption from the reflector (article 33) laws, but only if you're done in day time

...and on your way to or from a race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Lumen wrote: »
    ...and on your way to or from a race.

Commuter race - duh....

monument wrote: »
    Just to prove few actually read links posted... :D

From the article, again:

"...Last November we ran six operations and used discretionary cautions, giving people a couple of days to appear at a garda station and show that their bike was roadworthy. The focus is not just on targeting cars but vulnerable road users themselves."

Yea so sweet **** all;)

Not in all case.

Example? Ive never seen a bike come out of a box without a Bell, And two reflectors.:confused:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The lamps shall:
    be fitted on the centre line of the cycle or to the right of that line

Looks like I'll have to move my front one to the RHS of the stem!

Example? Ive never seen a bike come out of a box without a Bell, And two reflectors.:confused:

I've been sold my current Lapierre, and I think my last one as well, without reflectors or a bell. And I knew reflectors are standard to be fit, but bells?

I don't know what was in the box, but this is how I got the bike.

• Advertisement

I've been sold my current Lapierre, and I think my last one as well, without reflectors or a bell. And I knew reflectors are standard to be fit, but bells?

I don't know what was in the box, but this is how I got the bike.

Yea thats the shop you bought it off. They ****ed them in the bin. Your bike came with them, the shop didnt fit them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Bell is legally neccessary in UK i think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

What about traffic light sensors? As much as I don't like red light breaking, I have been stuck on roads at night where the traffic lights just don't change and I'm sitting there freezing in the middle of the night. I'm really applying this to left turn on red, not breezing through junctions willy nilly. I would hope that when the Gardai "crack down", they do so with a bit of common sense.

Same with reflectors, I don't have reflectors on my bike, just very bright lights.

el tonto wrote: »
    Nope, only during lighting up hours:
    If you look a little further up, in section 22:
    22. (1) Every cycle and invalid carriage to which this Part of these Regulations applies shall, subject to sub-article (3) of this article, at all times while used in a public place be equipped with position lamps, rear lamps, identification mark lighting and a head lamp, all of which shall comply in all respects with this Part of these Regulations.
    I think I'll have to invoke my "racing bicycle" exemption if stopped.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

That section applies to mechanically propelled cycles, not pedal cycles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Bell is legally neccessary in UK i think?
    In the UK a bike has to be SOLD with a bell UK but they can be taken off immediately; there is no legal requirement to have it on the bike.

In Ireland there is no requirement that a bell be included with a bike sale but it is a legal requirement to have one on the bike. It must be a bell; horns like air-zounds are explicitly illegal. This is of course not enforced.

Yea thats the shop you bought it off. They ****ed them in the bin. Your bike came with them, the shop didnt fit them...

Was thinking as much, but it must be common enough across at least a few shop. Another shop, south city centre based, sold the gf a bike without reflectors or a bell too.

PART III. OBLIGATORY LIGHTING OF MECHANICALLY PROPELLED CYCLES AND INVALID CARRIAGES.

Many references to "cycle" in the legislation actually mean "motorbike," you need to look out for where the reference occurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

blorg wrote: »
    In the UK a bike has to be SOLD with a bell UK but they can be taken off immediately; there is no legal requirement to have it on the bike.

In Ireland there is no requirement that a bell be included with a bike sale but it is a legal requirement to have one on the bike. It must be a bell; horns like air-zounds are explicitly illegal. This is of course not enforced.

Sorry, meant sold, France is best though, bikes have to be sold with lights AFAIK

• Advertisement

horns like air-zounds are explicitly illegal. This is of course not enforced.

I wish it were. Those things are obnoxious.

Was thinking as much, but it must be common enough across at least a few shop. Another shop, south city centre based, sold the gf a bike without reflectors or a bell too.

Well either way, your ment to get them on the bike. So there isnt any excuse, you should go back to the shop tbh.

Id agree, most shops dont bother with them. But you should still get them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Just had a look at my Trek sitting in front of me at the moment, I was aware there was no front reflector but had thought there was one on the rear, turns out there's neither. I do have wheel and pedal reflectors though. I saw the same model the other day (7.5 FX) and I'm pretty sure that guy had none either.

No bell either but I think my shouts when required get a wayward pedestrians attention much quicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Slydice wrote: »

What next? All bicycles have to get an NCT every 4 years? All tyres must have the "E" mark? :D

Note to self: better get a BELL for my bike! (Do they make them out of carbon fibre? :D)

Well either way, your ment to get them on the bike. So there isnt any excuse, you should go back to the shop tbh.

Id agree, most shops dont bother with them. But you should still get them.
    Most bikes come with them from the distributor as they are set up that way for the UK market of which Ireland is generally a sub-set. There is no legal requirement to include a bell or reflectors with a bike sold in Ireland though.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Note to self: better get a BELL for my bike! (Do they make them out of carbon fibre? :D)
    Carbon wouldn't work. You can however get them in Titanium

mks-bell-med.jpg

Super-lightweight and aerodynamic. Apparently doesn't work too well in the making noise department though.

• Advertisement

07Lapierre wrote: »
    What next? All bicycles have to get an NCT every 4 years? All tyres must have the "E" mark? :D

Wouldnt be a bad idea judging by the deathtraps you see people on. People in this country need to be forced to do the obvious things.

E mark on car tyres is good, stamps out cheapskates putting substandard tyres on their cars, tyres are the onlt things that stop you, keep you on the road, they are a very important part of a car. I dont understand the uproar.

Most bikes come with them from the distributor as they are set up that way for the UK market of which Ireland is generally a sub-set. There is no legal requirement to include a bell or reflectors with a bike sold in Ireland though.

Yea but you paid for them.....you should get them... because they are a legal requirement, (its irrelevant whose responsibility it is to include them)

Wouldnt be a bad idea judging by the deathtraps you see people on. People in this country need to be forced to do the obvious things.
    It would be a good idea for this forum (or maybe someone like Rothar) to offer to attend these checkpoints with the Gardai and look out for obviously faulty bikes that Gardai wouldn't see - worn/unhooked brakes, flat tyres, bald tyres, bent handlebars, etc etc - and then provide advice to people on getting their bikes sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Knock Knock..

Who's there?

Isabel.

Isabel who?

Isabel necessary on a bike?...

I'll get me coat... :D

It would be a good idea for this forum (or maybe someone like Rothar) to offer to attend these checkpoints with the Gardai and look out for obviously faulty bikes that Gardai wouldn't see - worn/unhooked brakes, flat tyres, bald tyres, bent handlebars, etc etc - and then provide advice to people on getting their bikes sorted.

It would, but people dont care until it breaks. Sure you get somebody who comes in to me and asks to have their brakes fixed. I point out about 7 other serious issues with the bike, and they wont get them fixed because its too much:confused:

You really have to see it to believe it.

I mean You can get your bike maintained to a decent standard seriously cheap these days. there are no excuses for letting a bike(not BSO) get to the stage that its scrap.

Irish people and machines just dont mix for the most part.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Interesting idea but I will miss being able to call myself a vigilante when I'm out, em, JUDGING, people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭cable842

are they only cracking down in the evenings ?

I Dont want to have too feel like Ive done something wrong cycling around during the day cause I cycle a lot during the day.

They have more pressing matters to attend wouldnt yea think.

where are doin the checks of will I be pulled over on the street while cycling home from work one lovely evening

cable842 wrote: »
    are they only cracking down in the evenings ?

I Dont want to have too feel like Ive done something wrong cycling around during the day cause I cycle a lot during the day.

They have more pressing matters to attend wouldnt yea think.

where are doin the checks of will I be pulled over on the street while cycling home from work one lovely evening

About time they did something about it, having a bunch of morons cycling around the city doing as they please isnt good.

Id say its quite a important matter and about time they pulled the finger out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭n-dawg

Taken from www.rulesoftheroad.ie

Bicycle checklist
    Handlebars should be square with the frame and level with the saddle.
    Ok I pass this

Movement should be neither too stiff nor too loose.
    Pass again

When on the saddle, both feet should just touch the ground.
    Fail... I'd destroy my knees if i dropped the saddle so that I could do this

Your wheels should be straight and in line. Replace wheels if they are buckled or out of alignment.
    Back wheel has a slight buckel ~2mm doesn't effect stability at all but i suppose its still a fail

Tighten loose spokes and replace any that are damaged.
    Pass

Make sure your tyres are properly inflated, with a good tread.
    Fail... I have slick road tires

Make sure mudguards are secure and well clear of the wheels.
    Pass

Check your gears and get them adjusted when necessary.
    Pass

Check your brake cables and adjust them when necessary. Replace them when frayed.
    Pass

Make sure the closed ends of brake shoes face the front.
    Pass

Make sure brake blocks are close to the rim of the wheel. Replace worn blocks.
    Pass

Check pedals and replace them when worn or broken.
    Pass

Make sure your lamps are white or yellow to the front and red at the back.
    Pass but was told my front light was too bright (Magicshine) And its not on my bike at the moment.

Use a red reflector. Replace batteries when necessary and clean lenses.
    No reflectors

Make sure your bell is within easy reach of your thumb.
    No bell

Oil all moving parts.
    Pass

Wear a cycle helmet at all times.
    huh? I wear one most of the time but often forget when I run out of the house

A bicycle should have the following braking system:
    If it has one fixed wheel or is designed for a child under 7 years of age, it should have at least one brake;
    If it is designed for an older child or an adult or neither wheel is fixed, it should have one brake acting on the front wheel and another for the back wheel.

Pass

So overall I think I'm in trouble if I get stop at a checkpoint...

Carbon wouldn't work. You can however get them in Titanium

mks-bell-med.jpg

Super-lightweight and aerodynamic. Apparently doesn't work too well in the making noise department though.

Damn! so we've no excuse then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭n-dawg

Taken from www.rulesoftheroad.ie

Bicycle checklist
    Handlebars should be square with the frame and level with the saddle.
    Fail, handlebars about 5cm lower then saddle

Movement should be neither too stiff nor too loose.
    Pass

When on the saddle, both feet should just touch the ground.
    Fail... I'd destroy my knees if i dropped the saddle so that I could do this

Your wheels should be straight and in line. Replace wheels if they are buckled or out of alignment.
    Back wheel has a slight buckel ~2mm doesn't effect stability at all but i suppose its still a fail

Tighten loose spokes and replace any that are damaged.
    Pass

Make sure your tyres are properly inflated, with a good tread.
    Fail... I have slick road tires

Make sure mudguards are secure and well clear of the wheels.
    Pass

Check your gears and get them adjusted when necessary.
    Pass

Check your brake cables and adjust them when necessary. Replace them when frayed.
    Pass

Make sure the closed ends of brake shoes face the front.
    Pass

Make sure brake blocks are close to the rim of the wheel. Replace worn blocks.
    Pass

Check pedals and replace them when worn or broken.
    Pass

Make sure your lamps are white or yellow to the front and red at the back.
    Pass but was told my front light was too bright (Magicshine) And its not on my bike at the moment.

Use a red reflector. Replace batteries when necessary and clean lenses.
    No reflectors

Make sure your bell is within easy reach of your thumb.
    No bell

Oil all moving parts.
    Pass

Wear a cycle helmet at all times.
    huh? I wear one most of the time but often forget when I run out of the house

A bicycle should have the following braking system:
    If it has one fixed wheel or is designed for a child under 7 years of age, it should have at least one brake;
    If it is designed for an older child or an adult or neither wheel is fixed, it should have one brake acting on the front wheel and another for the back wheel.

Pass

So overall I think I'm in trouble if I get stop at a checkpoint...

E mark on car tyres is good, stamps out cheapskates putting substandard tyres on their cars, tyres are the onlt things that stop you, keep you on the road, they are a very important part of a car. I dont understand the uproar.

What uproar? it was a joke Kona, hense the: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭cable842

Morons ? people in other euro countrys bring there kids too school in the bikes and Ive see a few in ireland.

Too Be honest I Dont cycle on the roads in Ireland its too dangerous and you can get killed I try to avoid it in anyway possible.

least there only checking in the evening and only checking the cyclists that cycle on the main roads.

As for calling the morons thats a bit out of order.
    About time they did something about it, having a bunch of morons cycling around the city doing as they please isnt good.

Id say its quite a important matter and about time they pulled the finger out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Too Be honest I Dont cycle on the roads in Ireland its too dangerous and you can get killed I try to avoid it in anyway possible.

i think more die in car accidents ? (could be wrong)

Morons ? people in other euro countrys bring there kids too school in the bikes and Ive see a few in ireland..

LOL what the hell are you on about??:confused:
    Too Be honest I Dont cycle on the roads in Ireland its too dangerous and you can get killed I try to avoid it in anyway possible..

You can get killed crossing the road too. Its not anymore dangerous than driving a car......unless your a moron.
    least there only checking in the evening and only checking the cyclists that cycle on the main roads.

As for calling the morons thats a bit out of order.

Are you on the same planet? How can you even comment if you dont cycle?

• Advertisement
Advertisement