Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gardai to clamp down on unsafe cyclists

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

72hundred wrote: »
    Jesus, that's a annoying article to read. I actually gave up on it two paragraphs in such was the level of rubbish.

Agreed. What makes it all the more annoying is that he's got a point about the misuse of the bikes. I've no empirical data, but just from personal observation, I notice more DublinBike users breaking the basic rules (of the road/ survival) than other cyclists.

Today, I saw a mother encourage her 10 y/o on a DublinBike to cross the Baggot St./ Fitzwilliam St. intersection against the lights, pausing in the middle to allow traffic to zip by in front and behind them. Nuts.

As for the muppet dinging his bell as he cycled down Grafton Street, give me strength.

Regards,

DFD*

*DribbleFrothDrool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

blorg wrote: »
    I think there can be a benefit. Depends on the light too; I certainly have a front light (Magicshine) that would be very visible even in daytime. To the extent that I wouldn't be sure it would even be safe to put on strobe mode in daytime. I wouldn't tend to leave my lights on if the sun was beating down but an overcast rainy day in winter I would no question. Same principle with getting cars to put their lights on in daytime, which is already promoted and soon going to be legally required of all drivers in the EU.

One of the real benefits of daytime lights, especially on a sunny day, is when you're coming out of a shaded section of road into a sun-drenched section. Drivers in the sunny section will find it hard to see you emerging from the shaded bit but are more likely to spot a flash of light from the shade...

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭onimpulse

It seems that Dublin has been invaded by a horde of female cycling Ninja's, according to this idiotic article in today's Irish Times.

"I am afraid I am getting too long in the tooth, short in the leg and grey in the head to be interfacing with young ones on bikes travelling at fair speeds and really not in control of themselves at all..."

Sounds like he's really easy to get on with - grumpy old man...

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭nachoman

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I doubt they would either but it's just a little something extra to draw the eye and they might pay attention to the hurtling bike at that point.

I reckon I've noticed the difference when I've inadvertently left them off.

I guess theres the blind spots where drivers don't notice you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

As for the muppet dinging his bell as he cycled down Grafton Street, give me strength.

Hahaha now thats not using common sense or due consideration

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

oflahero wrote: »
    Where can you get your hands on a unicycle anyway? Amazon won't ship to Ireland...

€40? Do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Today, I saw a mother encourage her 10 y/o on a DublinBike to cross the Baggot St./ Fitzwilliam St. intersection against the lights, pausing in the middle to allow traffic to zip by in front and behind them. Nuts.

I think the mere act of putting a ten-year-old on a Dublin Bike is against the rules.

http://www.dublinbikes.ie/Subscription/Long-Term-Hire-Card/Long-Term-Card-Holder
    the service is available to anyone over 14 years of age

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

It seems that Dublin has been invaded by a horde of female cycling Ninja's, according to this idiotic article in today's Irish Times.

What a load of sexist drivel. Its like something from a 1950s B-Movie.

Like most pedastrians he probably looked the wrong way crossing the street but thinks he looked the right way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Have to say seeing cyclists (not just DB users) going the wrong way on a one way is pretty common. Or even wrong direction on the wrong side of a two way street. I'm surprised more don't have accidents tbh. I see it on Nassau St a lot, and the Phoenix park. Even as a cyclist its a bit unnerving to suddenly see another cyclist coming head on to you, when you're not expecting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

isnt it funny how awkward and unbalanced the female race look whilst cycling in traffic, dont seem to aware their surroundings and make driving beside them uncomfortable to say the least ...... either ban them off main roads or give them cycle lanes to prevent the tax paying motorist away from harms way .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

dekbhoy wrote: »
    isnt it funny how awkward and unbalanced the female race look whilst cycling in traffic...

no

el tonto wrote: »
    no

you obviously dont drive so.......:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

make driving beside them uncomfortable to say the least ......
    You're obviously a rubbish driver so........

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

jaqian wrote: »
    What a load of sexist drivel. Its like something from a 1950s B-Movie.

Agreed. Pedestrians might be right to give out about some cyclists, but that article was just a sexist rant.

It's more than ironic that The Irish Times were publishing this on the same day as the news section was reporting on the apparently sexist Hunky Dorys adverts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

give them cycle lanes to prevent the tax paying motorist away from harms way .
    Perhaps you'd like to reword this so that it is readable? And don't forget that many cyclists pay tax too.

You're obviously a rubbish driver so........

Excellent and well thought out post ........ but a cyclist swaying and beeen hesititant on the road has nothing to with a persons ability to drive , have you been on the quays in dublin, not exactly much space in order to give shaky cyclists a wide berth on road ....... thats what we need , a ban on cyclists on the quays not a stupid nonsensical speed reduction.:mad: im getting angrier by the minute:mad:

Excellent and well thought out post ........ but a cyclist swaying and beeen hesititant on the road has nothing to with a persons ability to drive , have you been on the quays in dublin, not exactly much space in order to give shaky cyclists a wide berth on road ....... thats what we need , a ban on cyclists on the quays not a stupid nonsensical speed reduction.:mad: im getting angrier by the minute:mad:

Are you a taxi or bus driver?

Perhaps you'd like to reword this so that it is readable? And don't forget that many cyclists pay tax too.

sure in that case, spongers off the state pay tax , thieves pay tax as do prostitutes ,rapists , murders etc
    point im making is the tax cyclists pay, motorists pay also ,as cyclists pay nothing extra other than the VAT on their bicycles maybe, its just we pay so much we should be entitled to drive in a safe female cyclist free environment ..... rant over

monument wrote: »
    Are you a taxi or bus driver?
    absolutely not , only drive around 5000 km per year as work in Dublin city centre, its just this problem has come to my attention the lasy year or so.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

2967943002_a9b65d340f_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭austinbyrne21

Seriously, is there any need for another of these threads? Any chance of people not biting...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Theres an admirable conflation of prejudice on display here - sexist stereotyping AND anti-cyling cliches - and its not even Friday.

Bravo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

thieves pay tax as do prostitutes

Jeez, what kind of thieves and prostitutes do you know? Have you ever received a receipt after "visiting" a prostitute? Is it tax deductable?

I wish that guy who stole my wallet a few years ago had left me a receipt.

Excellent and well thought out post
    Thanks
    ........ but a cyclist swaying and beeen hesititant on the road has nothing to with a persons ability to drive ,
    I know it doesn't but you should be able to give them a wide enough berth so as not to run them down.
    have you been on the quays in dublin,
    Driven and cycled them loads of times. North and South.
    not exactly much space in order to give shaky cyclists a wide berth on road
    You wait until there is space to give them a wide berth.
    ....... thats what we need , a ban on cyclists on the quays not a stupid nonsensical speed reduction.:mad: im getting angrier by the minute:mad:
    We'll have to agree to disagree on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭buffalo

Thread diversion! :p

Has the law about flashing lights on one's bicycle come into effect yet? Or will it be passed with the same legislation that does away with mandatory use of cycle lanes?

• Advertisement

buffalo wrote: »
    Has the law about flashing lights on one's bicycle come into effect yet?

Yes

absolutely not , only drive around 5000 km per year as work in Dublin city centre, its just this problem has come to my attention the lasy year or so.

Well then as you're not a taxi or bus driver, there's only small stretches of the quays over all that you have to interact with cyclists. And in some of these sections taking the outside lane is an option.

If you're not able to share the road you should not be on it. It's a city, not a motorway, you should expect interaction with cyclists as well as pedestrian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

That's odd, a both a cyclist and driver in and out of the city centre for nay on 15 years, using the south quays regularly, I've never noticed this 'problem'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

What's a "female race"? Is it the hole in the middle?

race.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

sure in that case, spongers off the state pay tax , thieves pay tax as do prostitutes ,rapists , murders etc
    point im making is the tax cyclists pay, motorists pay also ,as cyclists pay nothing extra other than the VAT on their bicycles maybe, its just we pay so much we should be entitled to drive in a safe female cyclist free environment ..... rant over

Ah that's much better - now that you've explained it clearly, I can see exactly where you are coming from. It is rather silly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I'm most interested in whether the unicyclist was clipped in or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I've seen a lot of footpath cycling, going against the flow of traffic, etc. on Dublin Bikes. Were they all women? Eh no.

As for this:
    In fact, the whole process of putting these bikes on to the streets of our capital city has made this city a far more dangerous place to be and has increased the likelihood of death and injury dramatically.

What a load of codswallop!

Jeez, what kind of thieves and prostitutes do you know? Have you ever received a receipt after "visiting" a prostitute? Is it tax deductable?

I wish that guy who stole my wallet a few years ago had left me a receipt.

easy there tiger no need to be so sarcastic, point im making is we all pay taxes be it directly or in directly .Wheher it be VAT coroporation Paye dirt etc.
    What the city really needs is now that we have all the new bikes is for the boardwalk to be divded in two and (obviously altered slightly at bridges) , half turned into a cycle lane and half a pedestrian zone , this could possibly do away with the scum of dublin loitering there. We could have a potentiallly safer city killing two birds with one stone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

easy there tiger no need to be so sarcastic, point im making is we all pay taxes be it directly or in directly .Wheher it be VAT coroporation Paye dirt etc.
    What the city really needs is now that we have all the new bikes is for the boardwalk to be divded in two and (obviously altered slightly at bridges) , half turned into a cycle lane and half a pedestrian zone , this could possibly do away with the scum of dublin loitering there. We could have a potentiallly safer city killing two birds with one stone.

No, what we need is drivers to understand that they don't have a right to the road and to drive more carefully and we need to take away all the cycle lanes to reflect that. Now that's killing two birds with one stone.

You're making statements here as though you're on a forum were nobody drives, many people on the cycling forum do so we can see both angles, which is why your reasoning and points are being warmly embraced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Bicycles aren't fast-moving pedestrians.

They're slow moving vehicular traffic. You wouldn't expect a JCB (which incidentally is slower than a bike) to share the path with pedestrians, so I don't see why a bicycle should have to?

There is nothing excessively dangerous about Dublin. No matter what form of transport you're using, if you keep your head, watch what's going on and obey the law, you're unlikely to end up in an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭SleepDoc

That is an ill thought out suggestion. What the city needs is smooth roads, an enforced 30kph speed limit, punitive traffic laws and a congestion charge. And maybe one car free day a week. Fridays would be perfect.

No, what we need is drivers to understand that they don't have a right to the road and to drive more carefully and we need to take away all the cycle lanes to reflect that. Now that's killing two birds with one stone.

You're making statements here as though you're on a forum were nobody drives, many people on the cycling forum do so we can see both angles, which is why your reasoning and points are being warmly embraced.

Dont want this thread to turn into a motorist versus cyclist but i think your missing the point , i cycle sometimes myself , but if road is tight i always give motorists benefit of doubt and will cycle on path , a win win situation as i wont get hurt and the motorist can drive freely , as i said its mainly the female gender were the problem exists, cycle bikes like they drive cars , over cautious and indecisive.

Christ, enough with the woman bashing.

Cycling on the footpath is illegal, by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

LOL:D:D

Have you actually logically thought this through?:confused:

Obviously you dont have any job that requires any sort of forward thinking or indeed maybe taking into account similar situations.

1) Perhaps You should measure the width of a Hybrids tyre, then measure the gaps between the Boards on the Boardwalk.

2) Perhaps you should actually cycle so you can get a idea of what its like to use both Driving and cycling as a=regular modes of transport in the city.

3) Try cycling along the "Shared" Cycle track along the coast from Clontarf to sutton, You get pedestrians walking in these lanes. Now considering the space here is roughly x2 the Boardwalk, where do you cycle around these pedestrians? Perhaps into the Liffey.

I think you should get used to this table of importance, because its the fairest way.

1)Pedestrian.
    2)Cyclist
    3)Motor Vehicle.

Why? Because:

1) Not everybody is fortunate enough to afford a car.
    2) The most Vulnerable user is at the top of the priority.
    3)Everybody has 2 legs and can walk.

For all the stupid "rubble rabble I pay Road Tax" arguments. You pay road tax because you can afford to, just like people who earn over X amount pay more Tax. It has nothing to do with buying the rights to the road for a few hundred a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

as i said its mainly the female gender were the problem exists, cycle bikes like they drive cars , over cautious and indecisive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

What about Metrosexual men? Are they indecisive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭silvo

Eh, coming from someone who cycles on the footpath when they come into contact with traffic, I don't think it is the 'female gender' being 'over cautious'.

kona wrote: »

Only when trying to match their gillet with their arm warmers and shoe covers.

el tonto wrote: »
    Christ, enough with the woman bashing.

Cycling on the footpath is illegal, by the way.

Where you ever a child , where did your mam tell you too cycle ..... rest my case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

They are and they aren't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Where you ever a child , where did your mam tell you too cycle ..... rest my case

We ain't children no more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    €40? Do it!

Get in!

... only to have it swiped from under me nose by 7 minutes by a newly-joined lurker! Rotter...

Sorry, back to the trollfest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

For ****'s sake. I'm really starting to swing in favour of selectively censoring the internet.

LOL:D:D

Have you actually logically thought this through?:confused:

Obviously you dont have any job that requires any sort of forward thinking or indeed maybe taking into account similar situations.

1) Perhaps You should measure the width of a Hybrids tyre, then measure the gaps between the Boards on the Boardwalk.

2) Perhaps you should actually cycle so you can get a idea of what its like to use both Driving and cycling as a=regular modes of transport in the city.

3) Try cycling along the "Shared" Cycle track along the coast from Clontarf to sutton, You get pedestrians walking in these lanes. Now considering the space here is roughly x2 the Boardwalk, where do you cycle around these pedestrians? Perhaps into the Liffey.

I think you should get used to this table of importance, because its the fairest way.

1)Pedestrian.
    2)Cyclist
    3)Motor Vehicle.

Why? Because:

1) Not everybody is fortunate enough to afford a car.
    2) The most Vulnerable user is at the top of the priority.
    3)Everybody has 2 legs and can walk.

For all the stupid "rubble rabble I pay Road Tax" arguments. You pay road tax because you can afford to, just like people who earn over X amount pay more Tax. It has nothing to do with buying the rights to the road for a few hundred a year.

Look dont get petty , the boardwalk could easily be altered too suit one cyclist travelling either east or west bound ,it could be divided properly from a pedestrianised zone and not just a white line .

• Advertisement

i cycle sometimes myself , but if road is tight i always give motorists benefit of doubt and will cycle on path , a win win situation
    So along with being a bad driver, you are a bad cyclist.

I think what you really want is the laws changed on your commute so you won't be impeded in any possible way. God help that you should have to look out for a more vulnerable road user.

Advertisement