Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gardai to clamp down on unsafe cyclists

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

Raam wrote: »
    We ain't children no more.

the nit picking on boards today is becoming nothing short of ridiculous..... correct we are not children no more but sometimes we need to revert back to when we where kids in order to justify something .driving on a narrow road with hardly enough room for both cyclist and motorist i reckon the safest thing to do is use the pathway as carefully as possible , just as our mothers thought us

dekbhoy wrote: »
    the nit picking on boards today is becoming nothing short of ridiculous..... correct we are not children no more but sometimes we need to revert back to when we where kids in order to justify something .driving on a narrow road with hardly enough room for both cyclist and motorist i reckon the safest thing to do is use the pathway as carefully as possible , just as our mothers thought us

Suuure, lets all cycle down the footpath at 40kph, terrorising pedestrians and eventually being wiped out by a car exiting a driveway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Buy this book and have a read of it

Suuure, lets all cycle down the footpath at 40kph, terrorising pedestrians and eventually being wiped out by a car exiting a driveway.

Sounds like my morning commute. Well, apart from the car exiting the driveway bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

the nit picking on boards today is becoming nothing short of ridiculous..... correct we are not children no more but sometimes we need to revert back to when we where kids in order to justify something .driving on a narrow road with hardly enough room for both cyclist and motorist i reckon the safest thing to do is use the pathway as carefully as possible, just as our mothers thought us

It's not nitpicking, you're completely wrong.

Cycling on the footpath is annoying, dangerous and illegal. It is not necessary to leave the road when cycling on a bike.

If a car cannot pass, the driver should wait until a safe overtaking opportunity arises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Next time you find yourself in this situation, forget your mothers advice. Instead, look over your shoulder, signal right, look over your shoulder again, and if the way is clear, move into the primary position (centre of the lane) until the road widens enough for traffic to overtake you safely. A little wave of appreciation to the motorist behind when you move back to the left is recommended.

Cycling on the pavement - though sometimes tempting, is illegal, ill advised, dangerous, and encourages motorists to think that cyclists shouldnt be on the road...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

jaqian wrote: »
    What a load of sexist drivel. Its like something from a 1950s B-Movie.

Depressing, isn't it? The article was definitely sexist in broad terms (women can't ride safely), but what I found far more odious was the line about the woman in question having both a handbag and a briefcase in her basket- maybe I'm over-reacting*, but to my mind that carries the snide implication that the female of the race species can't be both a worker and a woman. Why didn't they just title the article Get back to the kitchen and be done with it?

*I've been discussing feminism a bit recently [in the real world], so my sexist radar is on high alert.
    kona wrote: »
    What about Metrosexual men? Are they indecisive?

Ooh, good question. Let me have a think... Um, maybe? No, actually, maybe not? Oh this is harder than I thought it would be. Leave it with me for a minute...
    :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

No..the safest thing to do is to move out slightly and ensure that the traffic behind you has to wait until they can safely overtake.

Cycling on the path is stupid and illegal. If you not comfortable/confident enough to cyle on such narrow roads, and you feel you must mount the footpath, then you should dismount and WALK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

correct we are not children no more but sometimes we need to revert back to when we where kids in order to justify something

...such as, say, flawed logic? :rolleyes:

You can say what you like in response. I'll have my fingers in my ears and be chanting 'Na na na na na. I can't hear you!!' over and over until you go away.
    oflahero wrote: »
    Get in!

... only to have it swiped from under me nose by 7 minutes by a newly-joined lurker! Rotter...

Gah! What a drag. If I spot that the sale has fallen through I'll let you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

07Lapierre wrote: »
    If you not comfortable/confident enough to cyle on such narrow roads, and you feel you must mount the footpath, then you should dismount and WALK.
    And if you're not comfortable overtaking a cyclist, leave the car at home and take the bus.

• Advertisement

And if you're not comfortable overtaking a cyclist, leave the car at home and take the bus.

And if you're not comfortable taking the bus, get a taxi.

Raam wrote: »
    And if you're not comfortable taking the bus, get a taxi.

And if you're not comfortable getting a taxi, stay at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭SleepDoc

Look dont get petty , the boardwalk could easily be altered too suit one cyclist travelling either east or west bound ,it could be divided properly from a pedestrianised zone and not just a white line .

That's just a plain stupid idea. I note that,

-your dog had a vasectomy.
    -you drive a BMW (says it all really).
    -you drink 12 bottles of cider in order to get to sleep.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Where you ever a child , where did your mam tell you too cycle ..... rest my case

Kids are allowed cycle on the footpath for safety reasons.
    Riding on the footpath
    Generally speaking, people aged over 12 years are not permitted to cycle on the footpath. However, there are exceptions to this rule, including:

-An adult who is supervising a young child on their bike is allowed to ride on the footpath with them.
    -Riding on the road may not be safe for some people with certain physical or intellectual disabilities. Riding on the footpath is allowed, so long as the person has a medical certificate that outlines their exemption.
    Postal officers who are delivering mail are allowed to cycle on the footpath.
    -When riding on the footpath, you must keep to the left whenever possible, and always give way to pedestrians.

Basically your mam told you to cycle on the footpath because you didn't have the intelligence/cop on to cycle on the road. Presumably your Mother thinks different now your an adult, although I have no proof of this :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

SleepDoc wrote: »
    I note that...

Ad hominem attacks and internet stalking add nothing to this debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Dont want this thread to turn into a motorist versus cyclist
    So when you use terminology like "the tax paying motorist ", you're not trying to create division between two sides - no?

You're quite right. However I'm not sure what kind of debate you can actually have with someone like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Where you ever a child , where did your mam tell you too cycle ..... rest my case

My mammy also told me babies came from space.....

That Id go blind sitting too close to the TV.

Id have huge muscles if I ate my vegetables...

My mammy still thinks that I a Angel.

Momma sez that aligators are angry because they cant brush their teeth?

Now where is that waterboy Gif??

Look dont get petty , the boardwalk could easily be altered too suit one cyclist travelling either east or west bound ,it could be divided properly from a pedestrianised zone and not just a white line .

Okaaaaay so what do you work as? a city planner? perhaps a civil engineer? a Architect? If you reckon it would be easy the use the boardwalk as a cycle lane(:D) then perhaps you should draw up a detailed report and present your conclusions to a politician or even Jooooooooooooooooooooooe Duffffffy!!!!

Doubtful.

Im not getting petty, They are all fairly obvious observations, that would need adressing if your genius masterplan is to be executed and your hailed as the Hero of motorists and cyclists.

So how would you separate the Pedestrians and cyclists? Perhaps Ice Hockey style Plexiglass? maybe a kerb? A wall?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Lionel Hutz: Thank you, Dr. Hibbert. I rest my case.
    Judge: You rest your case?
    Lionel Hutz: What? Oh no, I thought that was just a figure of speech. CASE CLOSED.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

So how would you separate the Pedestrians and cyclists? Perhaps Ice Hockey style Plexiglass? maybe a kerb? A wall?
    It wouldn't be Dekbhoy's problem anymore. He would have solved the Dekbhoy being held up for a few seconds problem and that's all that matters.

It wouldn't be Dekbhoy's problem anymore. He would have solved the Dekbhoy being held up for a few seconds problem and that's all that matters.

How about we ban cars from the cities??

No more 30kmph limit
    no more worrying about cyclists.

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

No pavements where I'm from, cycled on the road since I was 6, not same as city fair enough, but you still needed cop on

Is he gone yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

absolutely not , only drive around 5000 km per year as work in Dublin city centre, its just this problem has come to my attention the lasy year or so.

Tim?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Is he gone yet?

He's just finished off his cider and gone for a snooze
    12 large botles of cider does it for me

How about we ban cars from the cities??

No more 30kmph limit
    no more worrying about cyclists.

:p

ridiculous idea , in fact maybe cyclists should be banned from all main roads and pedestrian zones without a cycle track after all its the high tax paying motorist that pay for the roads in the first place not the cyclist ,sooner the better all modes of transport are paying some sort of tax or insurance .In fairness i dont know how the majority of cyclists are not up to their eyes in fines because they constantly break traffic lifghts and generally break the rules of the road, anyway im getting rail roaded here my OP was about female cyclists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

after all its the high tax paying motorist that pay for the roads in the first place not the cyclist

but but, I pay motor tax for 2 motorcycles and 1 motor car, and yet when I choose to leave all at home and take the bicycle out instead I am suddenly not a high tax paying motorist?

ridiculous idea , in fact maybe cyclists should be banned from all main roads and pedestrian zones without a cycle track after all its the high tax paying motorist that pay for the roads in the first place not the cyclist ,sooner the better all modes of transport are paying some sort of tax or insurance .In fairness i dont know how the majority of cyclists are not up to their eyes in fines because they constantly break traffic lifghts and generally break the rules of the road, anyway im getting rail roaded here my OP was about female cyclists

We really need more people like you in charge.

... anyway im getting rail roaded here my OP was about female cyclists

Yes, you wouldn't want people to think you don't know what you're talking about. Do you not think talking about bad cyclists might make more sense than female cyclists. Unless of course there is a reason they might be naturally worse at handing a bike. I'm going to guess it's boobs. Boobs wobbling side to side would naturally make handling a bike a bit tricky. Maybe there should be a policy that women with larger boobs (or "breasts" for those who don't like the term) should have to ride bikes that are more stable: trikes. I rest my case. I mean, case closed.

• Advertisement

nereid wrote: »
    but but, I pay motor tax for 2 motorcycles and 1 motor car, and yet when I choose to leave all at home and take the bicycle out instead I am suddenly not a high tax paying motorist?

No you become a free loading hippy. I hope to God you are not a woman, or you're really in for it!

nereid wrote: »

Always gonna get the few who do both ,but lets be honest majority do one or the other and i speak for the majority of motorists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Lets hope to god that isnt true.

Always gonna get the few who do both ,but lets be honest majority do one or the other and i speak for the majority of motorists.

When I wished that you were put in charge, I didn't think it would happen so fast.
    I really hope this swift promotion does actually come with lots of power. Your ideas need to be implemented as soon as possible in order to sort this city and these errant cyclists out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I am a pedestrian, cyclist, motorcyclist & car driver.

I pay motor tax twice - should I not have the right to use the roads on my bike? I guarantee you that I am a much more aware driver than you & am amazed you can be so selfish as to think you have some sort of right over other road users. All road users have a right to use the roads and a reason for being there. I just can't get over the ignorant car drivers who are actually so insular and self absorbed to think that the roads are primarily there for their use. There is a simple rule of thumb, respect all road users and act in a responsible manner, give each other plenty of space - THERE IS NO RUSH! A cyclist in front of you is only going to take seconds off your journey time - get over it - and even if they were to take minutes off your journey time - get over it. Lifes too short to have a hernia over losing a few seconds off your trip to MacDonalds.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Yes, you wouldn't want people to think you don't know what you're talking about. Do you not think talking about bad cyclists might make more sense than female cyclists. Unless of course there is a reason they might be naturally worse at handing a bike. I'm going to guess it's boobs. Boobs wobbling side to side would naturally make handling a bike a bit tricky. Maybe there should be a policy that women with larger boobs (or "breasts" for those who don't like the term) should have to ride bikes that are more stable: trikes. I rest my case. I mean, case closed.

if you werent so ignorant you might have seen where i said women in general dont have balance and are not really aware of their surroundings when negotiating situations , let me point out i am not sexist in fact i think women are wonderful, its just from experience they are very dodgy on bikes

• Advertisement

if you werent so ignorant you might have seen where i said women in general dont have balance and are not really aware of their surroundings when negotiating situations , let me point out i am not sexist in fact i think women are wonderful, its just from experience they are very dodgy on bikes

It looks like that shovel you were using earlier wasn't quite getting the job done. Here, try this:

Jcb_804_Super_Excavator.jpg

I'd say about 85-90% of the people in my cycling club drive as well as cycle. It's how people get to races in far off parts of the country. Even outside my club, the vast majority of people that I know that cycle, also drive. Do you know why this is? It's because virtually all of the adult population of this country drive.

Most cyclists are drivers.

Most drivers aren't cyclists.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    It looks like that shovel you were using earlier wasn't quite getting the job done. Here, try this:

Jcb_804_Super_Excavator.jpg

No, no, dig up, stupid!

dig-up-stupid.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭carthoris

You *are* being railroaded. The reason is that the points you make are nothing new to someone who cycles and they have long been proven to be fallacies. So most people who are replying (and those who are not) probably consider this to be an attempt by you to get a reaction for your own entertainment.

If you are sincere then perhaps it is a a pity you are being railroaded as there could be some valuable enlightenment here for you.

In the meantime, consider that the roads are a shared resource, the only entity that owns them is the general public as it is the general public that pays for them out of a big pool of cash that comes from taxation of the general public not just motor vehicles. As it is a shared resource it is for the use of everyone and each person needs to be conscientious of, and considerate to the other users.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

i said women in general dont have balance and are not really aware of their surroundings when negotiating situations , let me point out i am not sexist in fact i think women are wonderful

ahem, LOL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭it's mick

the point of motor tax in it's current form is expressly to discourage people from driving and encourage them to walk, drive or get a bus. it is definitely NOT there to establish amongst the car driving public (of which i am one) a sense of greater entitlement to the roads as you seem to think it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If there are checkpoints I wonder if the gardai will say anything to all the mini marathon walkers out these days, 2 & 3 abreast walking on the cycletracks, of course with their back to the cyclists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

Taking that logic further, you should ban buses as well, seeing that most of the people on board aren't paying motor tax either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

You're obviously a rubbish driver so........
    absolutely not , only drive around 5000 km per year .

The jury rests m'lud, does less km a year than any of blorgs' bikes. No wonder he's not comfortable around other traffic.

And I never thought I'd see the day when I thank Kona, but for once, just once, I agreed with him..... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

72hundred wrote: »
    Tim?

I was just thinking the same thing :)

I bet that being such a charmer and a grade A catch that women go weak at the knees around you. Which might explain the whole balance thing.

EPIC FAIL at the aul Sarcasm there ted. I was being sarcastic obviously cars wont be banned from cities LOL

Also you know, as a little experiment, the next time you are sitting in a metal box on the M50 waiting for the few thousand other metal boxes in front to move. Perhaps observe what the signs say about who funds the upgrade works.

It doesnt say "Funded for by the high motor tax, paying motorist"

Its says part funded for by the EU Development fund. There is no way in hell that motortax alone can pay for the entire network of roads in this country.

Your argument is stupid, most the money that funds the tarmac you lay claim to is mostly funded by Mr. Heinrich Muller from Dusseldorf and Ms. Ana Sanchez from Madrid. Not some sexist Irish driver.

Maybe if you cut back on the cider you could wrap your head around this concept a bit more readily.

As much as I agree that the poster in question is wrong, this is OTT, IMO. Commenting on something he posted on another thread is not fair.

eightyfish wrote: »
    As much as I agree that the poster in question is wrong, this is OTT, IMO. Commenting on something he posted on another thread is not fair.

Fair enough, I retract that statement.

Some letters in the Times on this.
    Madam, – Having read Seán Mac Connell’s frightfully misogynistic Irishman’s Diary (April 28th), I would like to suggest that Mr MacConnell is the one who knows nothing about women or bicycles, not Patrick Kavanagh.

Mr Mac Connell’s piece is insulting and harks back to a time in which women were considered liabilities in Ireland. If Mr Mac Connell wishes to avoid being hit by bicycles, I suggest he look both ways on the road, as we are instructed to do from infancy, and wake up to the Ireland in which he now lives. We are no longer a country that can support open sexism in a national newspaper and if Mr Mac Connell is upset by this, I suggest he goes back to the time of his comrade Kavanagh and leave the rest of us to live our lives.

While he may be “getting too long in the tooth, short in the leg and grey in the head to be dealing with young ones on bikes”, I am too sick of misogyny and ill-informed opinions to be reading the banal thoughts of a sexist while enjoying my daily newspaper. – Yours, etc,

BRIDGET FITZSIMONS,
    Oakley Road,
    Ranelagh, Dublin 6.

Madam, – I’m sure many readers were nodding in agreement on reading Seán Mac Connell’s Irishman’s Diary on April 28th. It is only a matter of time before a pedestrian is even more seriously injured than he was, by an errant cyclist.

Perhaps some of the “Don’ts” for cyclists in the Rules of the Road could be displayed at the bike stations – particularly “Don’t ever cycle against the flow of traffic on one-way streets”.

In the meantime, we had better always look both ways when crossing one-way streets – to be sure to be sure! – Yours, etc,

HILARY CARR,
    Dale Road,
    Stillorgan,
    Co Dublin.

• Advertisement
Advertisement