Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lough Mask Current Dominant Fly Hatch & Fly Fishing Conditions?

Options
  • 27-04-2010 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭

Looking for daily current updates on the condition of dominant fly hatches on Lough Mask for 2010 .

Can we all stay on topic this time as the last time this topic was open the thread got closed due to salmon licence tags...

What type of fly?

Amount of Fly?

What date were you on the lake this year?

How many rises did you see, or get to your fly?

Where is the hatch on the lake?

Temperature?

Wind conditions ( Direction and strength)?

Your method used? Dry or wet?

How many fish caught and average size?

Regards,

http://www.youtube.com/user/DryFlyFishing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Olives now hatching in good numbers on Mask, and trout taking them on the surface, mainly in sheltered bays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭DryFlyFishing

Zzippy wrote: »
    Olives now hatching in good numbers on Mask, and trout taking them on the surface, mainly in sheltered bays.

what was your fish count? size?

Regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

what was your fish count? size?

I wasn't fishing myself, was told that by someone who was out on the lake working. Knows what he's talking about

Zzippy wrote: »
    I wasn't fishing myself, was told that by someone who was out on the lake working. Knows what he's talking about

thanks for the update.... keep us all posted..:)

Regards,

just back myself from the west..

the fish are feeding on buzzer...

there is a lot of fly on the surface.. duckfly/olive/ and black buzzer/

a good number of large fish are feeding on or near the surface but they seem not to be feeding on olive even though there was a lot...

they are feeding on skating buzzer ... and wet black/dark green buzzer ...

mayfly not up yet ... but should be shortly....

largest fish caught 3lb...

very cold and windy weekend .... but still a lot of big fish showing...

the fish came on and off all day and there was only about 3 hours in the day that was surface feeding

off again this weekend ... hopefully it will be a bit warmer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

good report....winds are set to stay from the north and north east for the weekend so it will stay cool enough.....i hope the wind veers to the south west soon.....were there many olives about??

good report....winds are set to stay from the north and north east for the weekend so it will stay cool enough.....i hope the wind veers to the south west soon.....were there many olives about??

there was enough olives for the fish to feed on them.. but they did not switch from black buzzer at all, where i was..

im sure in other areas where there was smaller fish ... they fed on olives..

the average fish i was seeing rising was 2.5lb - 6+lb in a sheltered bay.... they were bloody hard to catch..

iv sorted the problem out with a trip to the angling shop to get some little grey dry buzzers so i can skate them ....

best big fish rise i got was at dusk... only just felt the fish ... hook never sank... took me two hours to follow that fish around the bay and put my fly in front of him...

a well ill be after him next weekend.
    :)

Advertisement