Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1000 appearances for one club

• 27-04-2010 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭

In Belfast on Saturday Noel Bailie, captain of Linfield, notched up his 1000th appearance for the club.

Having grown up in Belfast as a Glentoran fan, I hate Linfield with a passion - but I thought it would be a shame not to mention this incredible landmark being reached in the North.

I presume it's a record. Anyone hear of a player making more appearances for one club?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

That is incredible. It's almost 400 matches more than Paolo Maldini at Milan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Thats unreal. Must be record if not dam close

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

When you think thats 40 games a season for 25 years thats actually f*cking incredible.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

With Linfield having the League, the League Cup, the Irish Cup, the North Antrim Shield, constant European qualification (if only for one round), and lately the Setanta Cup, the games do add up to more than most clubs.

All that said, it's an absolutely incredible achievement, one that deserves all the attention it gets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Holy ****!

• Advertisement

Thinking about this again, it must include underage, youth, etc matches as well surely?

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noel_Bailie

Not sure how much you can rely on wiki but apparently he's 39, made his debut at 17, so thats 22 years of first team football. You'd need an average of 45 games a season every season..:eek:

It also says no one else has done it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Not a huge follower of the game over the border but my understanding is that its First team matches only. Been in the first team for 20 years, now 39 years of age and doesnt look like stopping anytime soon. A record that will never be broken (only Ryan Giggs will come anywhere close and hes only on 830+ matches for Utd)

Gas thing is hes not even a goalkeeper!

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

Ian Callaghan played for Liverpool 857 times which is a club record which will never be broken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

flahavaj wrote: »
    Thinking about this again, it must include underage, youth, etc matches as well surely?

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noel_Bailie

Not sure how much you can rely on wiki but apparently he's 39, made his debut at 17, so thats 22 years of first team football. You'd need an average of 45 games a season every season..:eek:

It also says no one else has done it.

BBC reporting it too

Link

Noel Bailie is in the Linfield team for Saturday's possible title-clincher at Crusaders - the veteran defender's 1000th appearance for the Blues.

Victory at Seaview will make sure of the Carling Premiership crown for David Jeffrey's men, a record 49th title for the south Belfast club.

Linfield's nearest rivals Cliftonville are seven points behind with just three matches left.

Eddie Patterson's Reds are at home to Dungannon Swifts.

The other Section A game sees third-placed Glentoran take on Irish Cup finalists Portadown at the Oval.

In photos: Bailie's Blues career

Linfield boss David Jeffrey's said skipper Bailie's record was remarkable.

"I have run out of superlatives about Noel, he is incredible," said Jeffrey.

"But the match at Seaview is about getting the three points we need to win another championship.

"Three points from three games, that is where we are at.

"I would like to put everything to bed on Saturday.

"We have put ourselves in a great position, one I did not think we would be in.

"The players have put in a magnificent effort, although there is still work to do."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

We have played Linfield 4 times in SSC and dont think i ever seen him, think he gets rested for SSC games :O

Fair play superb record.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

That is incredible. It's almost 400 matches more than Paolo Maldini at Milan!

Maldini has 902 appearances according to Wiki for Milan. Don't think this is confined to league games only.

Advertisement