Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Olympique Lyonnais vs Bayern Munich CL semi final 2nd leg

13»

Comments

Lyon's fans have been awesome tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Jigga wrote: »
    Can anyone name the last Bayern player to get hat-trick in Champions league?

Klose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

That_Guy wrote: »
    Andy Gray: I'm sure the English teams will be thinking that they've missed the trip because I believe that these two, well not Lyon but certainly Bayern Munich are beatable.

Yes Andy and United, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool are beatable too and that's why they're not fcuking there!!!

/head explodes

Dont worry, he'll repeat it many times during the final. I'm sure Inter/Barca woulda been beatable too. Get over it Andy FFS!

Anyway, quality hat trick from Olic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Lyon's fans have been awesome tonight.

Aye. Very admirable. Fair play to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,391 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Jigga wrote: »
    Can anyone name the last Bayern player to get hat-trick in Champions league?

Long shot, but Roy Makaay?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

if only the team was even doing 40% of what the fans are. Lyon have been really terrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Long shot, but Roy Makaay?
    indeed it was him, interesting stats Infostrada Sports post during matches. Well worth checking out when the game is this boring

http://twitter.com/infostradalive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Bayern going to Champions League final - wtf

This is a team who United were cruising 3-0 with a practically defunct Rooney on the field!

Fair play to them for making it but honestly couldnt see them defeat Inter or Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,391 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Well done Bayern. Fully deserved!.

Quality from Olic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Cascarino bang on there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Ush1 wrote: »
    Cascarino bang on there.

What did he say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

DubDani wrote: »
    What did he say?

Puel was tactically awful. Totally agree, starting 2 DMs when you need to score goals in the 2nd leg at home.

He said if Puel hadn't got to the semi final he would already been sacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

The Sky EPL propaganda machine is in full flow now. Richard Keyes is a fúcking twat of the highest order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

wish they'd get some Irish panelists on TV3...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

redout wrote: »
    Fair play to them for making it but honestly couldnt see them defeat Inter or Barca.

Are you writing off the Germans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Well done to Bayern. Im surprised so many people think they have no chance in final. Think be much closer then people expect.

Was awful game for semi final was more like match in group stage really. Lyon were team that beat Real but did not show how the hell they did it really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

This being the same poster who thought everyone who said Inter would win last Tuesday was off their rocker?

This being the same poster who thought everyone who said Inter would win last Tuesday was off their rocker?

Meh tbh, tomorrow night will decide that tie.

Factors contributed to it - remember you saying so yourself.

Remember giving Inter my credit afterwards.

Still fully expect Barca to prevail.

As regards Bayern I could see Barca destroying them (then again as Souness said they could do that to anyone). Inter I would see being tactically to astute for Bayern. Nothing wrong with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Funny how people have been writing Bayern off since the group stages. Now they're in the final and guess what - people are writing Bayern off.
    This trophy has Bayern written all over it. Originally I was predicting Inter v Bayern final more or less hoping for Inter because of memories from last year match with Barca. I may regret saying this now but I'm beginning to think this Bayern team has a win v Barca in them.
    Sky idiots frettin over Utd, Chelsea fail to see that Bayern have not been glamorous and look weak at times but have serious qualities all the same.
    Bayern FTW!

• Advertisement

Meh tbh, tomorrow night will decide that tie.

Factors contributed to it - remember you saying so yourself.

Remember giving Inter my credit afterwards.

Still fully expect Barca to prevail.

As regards Bayern I could see Barca destroying them (then again as Souness said they could do that to anyone). Inter I would see being tactically to astute for Bayern. Nothing wrong with that.

You wrote Inter off though, which was stupid and they showed you why. And now you're doing it again with Bayern, which is ridiculous, they have the firepower to take down any team. The Barca defence suffers against pace, Bayern have Ribery, Robben and Olic all fantastic at making runs in behind. You'd still fancy Barca, but jeez...

You wrote Inter off though, which was stupid and they showed you why. And now you're doing it again with Bayern, which is ridiculous, they have the firepower to take down any team. The Barca defence suffers against pace, Bayern have Ribery, Robben and Olic all fantastic at making runs in behind. You'd still fancy Barca, but jeez...

I said

"I dont understand everyone going for Inter.

Honestly cant see Barca losing this match.

A far superior team and should prove it over 2 legs."

Barca lost the 1st leg fair enough - factors certainly contributed to it but overall Inter had them tactically beaten. I will now point your attention to the part were I said "should prove it over 2 legs" and I still 100% stand by that. If it turns out that Inter reach the final tomorrow night then so be it but I will still stand by my assertion now. As for Bayern it could be argued luck against Fiorentina and United tbh. In fact United showed what a top class team could do to their defence even with a defunct Rooney on the pitch. Now just imagine what Barca could do? As for tactics I dont really see Bayern as being very good. Against Lyon I really dont know what to make - Lyon were just utter tripe over both games to be honest and didnt really put in much effort. You say Bayern are good in attack but Barca are far superior in that aspect and imo good easily outscore them as Bayern themselves have a rocky defence. Inter are much better defensively and would outsmart them would be my thoughts. Nothing wrong with my judgement to be honest.

Honestly cant see Barca losing this match.
    Nothing wrong with my judgement to be honest.

Except where it's wrong :p

Except where it's wrong :p

Show me a single person who has a flawless judgement.

We cant be right all the time but I am sticking to my views.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Boskowski wrote: »
    Funny how people have been writing Bayern off since the group stages. Now they're in the final and guess what - people are writing Bayern off.
    This trophy has Bayern written all over it. Originally I was predicting Inter v Bayern final more or less hoping for Inter because of memories from last year match with Barca. I may regret saying this now but I'm beginning to think this Bayern team has a win v Barca in them.
    Sky idiots frettin over Utd, Chelsea fail to see that Bayern have not been glamorous and look weak at times but have serious qualities all the same.
    Bayern FTW!

Bayern have done brilliantly without being a brilliant team.
    Van Gaal deserves credit for wringing every last drop out of Bayern this season in the Champions League, often with a nice helping of luck for good measure.

On another note, again tonight we saw a CL semi final where one team completely failed to perform, think back to Man Utd V Arsenal last season, I'm a United fan, and after ten minutes of the second leg I felt sorry for Asenal and the game petered out to nothing.
    Lyon we a disgrace tonight, as good as the result was for Bayern, they would have been pretty awful not to comfortably beat a Lyon side that rolled over to have their bellies tickled from the start.

It does seem like it's Bayern's name on the trophy, and best of luck to them. I don't see them becoming a force in European football if they do win it like they were in the 70's.
    The CL hasn't thrown up any great excitement at all this year, in truth it's been pretty dull. Barca have been hailed as the greatest side ever, but in truth they've been up against some poor CL sides that have flattered them, again take a look at the performance from Arsenal against Barca, comical.

As much as many people defend the current structure of the CL it's probably time to start bringing in champions from smaller leagues. The standard of football isn't great at the moment, so UEFA may as well start distrubuting the CL wealth a lot more evenly for the sake of the CL going forward and the game in general.
    The CL need's some diversity. The gene pool is too small and there's beginning to be a hint of webbed feet about what we're seeing in Europe's premier club competition.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

My money is on a 4-4 draw. The planets have aligned for a freak event!
    EDIT: Oops meant to post that in Barca/Inter thread

• Advertisement

Ivica-Olic-001.jpg

I think the perceived lack of quality of this years Champions League has more to do with EPL supporters taking for granted that at least 4 English teams are in the semi-finals these days plus maybe with the grace of God a team like Barcelona (I do know maths by the way, I'm just being sarcastic). Anything that does not conform with the Sky/EPL propaganda machine (United & Barca) is 'lacking quality' these days according to Andy Gray and Eamon Dunphy.

But the footballing world is much bigger than EPL and while some of you guys may think the world of good quality football is after coming to an end in other parts of Europe the perception is totally different about this years Champions League campaign. I for myself think that Bayern has been excellent this year. A little lucky on the way but excellent nonetheless. Not flashy and with pretty shaky looking patches but with great qualities too, being able to overwhelm and suffocate teams like Juventus, United and Lyon. I don't care what anyone says about these teams being 5h1t in those ties, I for myself say you can only play as well as your opponent will allow you to and Bayern didn't allow them to play well enough to beat them. United had them in the ropes but I argue that was more down to the '****ting themselves in front of the mighty champion effect' (especially in OT) rather than actual quality.
    Same goes for Inter to an even larger extent.
    Would be great to see a final from two sides of (according to Sky anyway) the two "B leagues" in Europe. The two leagues Sky doesn't even bother to get broadcasting rights for. After all thats what makes such a competition interesting. Thats its not 100% predictable and that the (perceived) big ones don't always prevail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Cannot believe UEFA have given Ribery a 3 match ban meaning he will miss the final. Where's the commen sence

Cannot believe UEFA have given Ribery a 3 match ban meaning he will miss the final. Where's the commen sence

Totally deserved, it's Ribery who lacks common sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

ribery deserves it but im a fan who wants to see the best players in final and in that case im disappointed with uefa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

F*ck him, it was a filthy challenge.

Where's the common sense in making a tackle like that in his club's biggest game of the deade and risking both them and himself missing out on the final?

No sympathy tbh.

• Advertisement

He milked the Rafael shirt pull at old trafford which led to the red and changed the game so I have no sympathy whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

He milked the Rafael shirt pull at old trafford which led to the red and changed the game so I have no sympathy whatsoever.

The deciding factor in that game, who could blame him.

°°°°°

Ivica-Olic-001.jpg

I think the perceived lack of quality of this years Champions League has more to do with EPL supporters taking for granted that at least 4 English teams are in the semi-finals these days plus maybe with the grace of God a team like Barcelona (I do know maths by the way, I'm just being sarcastic). Anything that does not conform with the Sky/EPL propaganda machine (United & Barca) is 'lacking quality' these days according to Andy Gray and Eamon Dunphy.

But the footballing world is much bigger than EPL and while some of you guys may think the world of good quality football is after coming to an end in other parts of Europe the perception is totally different about this years Champions League campaign. I for myself think that Bayern has been excellent this year. A little lucky on the way but excellent nonetheless. Not flashy and with pretty shaky looking patches but with great qualities too, being able to overwhelm and suffocate teams like Juventus, United and Lyon. I don't care what anyone says about these teams being 5h1t in those ties, I for myself say you can only play as well as your opponent will allow you to and Bayern didn't allow them to play well enough to beat them. United had them in the ropes but I argue that was more down to the '****ting themselves in front of the mighty champion effect' (especially in OT) rather than actual quality.
    Would be great to see a final from two sides of (according to Sky anyway) the two "B leagues" in Europe. The two leagues Sky doesn't even bother to get broadcasting rights for. After all thats what makes such a competition interesting. Thats its not 100% predictable and that the (perceived) big ones don't always prevail.

Bayern are one of the so called "big" clubs of the CL.
    Their current squad isn't great and they've been fortunate to do so well in the competition this season.
    Yes there is a lot of BS and talking up of EPL sides, that's always been the case, even when they were little more than also ran's in the 90's when the Italians dominated in europe. The reason for that is that the press report on the teams people are interested in within a geographical location. Just like Bayern are "FC Hollywood" in Germany, United are big news in Britain and Ireland and Madrid/Barca are the big news in Spain, AC Milan in Italy etc...

The truth is that the standard has been poor in the CL this season.
    Bayern have been lucky, but they've also made a lot of their own luck. I firmly belive that if you take Luis Van Gaal out of the equation at Bayern the side would be completely different in it's approach. He's working miracles with them in the CL this year, not to mention his take no prisoners apporach to the petulant and irritating Arjen Robben, who surely wont get away with his constant cutting in to shoot with his left foot after this season.

It has to be time to finally start allowing real champions from smaller leagues a chance at the big time of the CL. Some of the sides in the competition haven't even challenged for a domestic title for years and they plod through the CL every year.
    The prevailing logic is that the smaller countries champions cant entertain like the also rans of the big leagues, but that's not something thats ever going to change by keeping them out of the CL for ever.
    Bayern have been a "surprise package" this season by reaching the final, but they're hardly a club with a small profile are they?
    The CL needs to change drastically and soon. No more than two sides from each country allowed, more diversity, this would greatly enrich the game in europe. The way things are we'll be seeing the same teams in the CL in 50 years time and that can only drive people away in the long run. A boring CL is of no use to anyone.

Glazers Out!

I've actually been saying that all along. It's financially not as viable as the current format but a champions league where some leagues are not in it and some other leagues have their also rans playin is not a 'champions' league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Ivica-Olic-001.jpg

The percieved lack of quality is due to the dreadful first leg of the Lyon v Bayern game that was the worst football match i have ever watched

°°°°°

I've actually been saying that all along. It's financially not as viable as the current format but a champions league where some leagues are not in it and some other leagues have their also rans playin is not a 'champions' league.

I agree with you apart from the fact that it is perfectly financially viable.
    Current prevailing logic that's based on nothing but opinions which are in turn based on the bully boy tactics of the so called "big clubs" who want an elite competition that hold footballing "power" in a small number of hands.

In years to come, should the Champions league continue down the path of the likes of Chelsea, Barca, Man Utd, Inter, AC, Madrid, Arsenal, Bayern etc... all being the only teams contesting the Champions League after xmas, people are going to begin turning away from the competition en masse.

It's fine to allow two sides from the really big leagues to perticipate, but the runners up in those leagues should have to face preliminary qualifiers first.
    Just look at Liverpool's triumph in 2005, they hadn't won the league in 15 years, and maybe challenged for it properly once in that time, in yet they won the European cup. They finished 5th that season and still got into the CL the next year.

It is true that big clubs create interst, but a stagnant competition is ultimately going to destroy itself and when that happens there's no profit for anyone.
    As a United fan it's great to see my team involved every season, but it's also kind of irritating that the competition has become so diluted to the point that if you support a large club you expect them to be in the knock out's every year after defeating the same group of smaller clubs in the group stages.

Some times you have to take short term pain for long term gain and it's about time UEFA woke up to that.

Glazers Out!

the worst football match i have ever watched

You obviously haven't been watching any of the Irish international matches over the last 3 years then.

°°°°°

You obviously haven't been watching any of the Irish international matches over the last 3 years then.

Are you insulting our self inflicted footballing wounds and our unending list of moral victories? Shame on you.
    Although the Italy and France games were pretty good to be fair.

Glazers Out!

nullzero wrote: »
    Are you insulting our self inflicted footballing wounds and our unending list of moral victories? Shame on you.
    Although the Italy and France games were pretty good to be fair.

Ah no, this is tongue in cheek as I cant help but feel a bit like an Ireland supporter at this stage (nearly ten years in Irl). I just couldn't resist it :p

Advertisement