Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Stillorgan Bus 'Network'

Options
  • 27-04-2010 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

Part of 'Network Direct Phase 1'
    Phase One of the Network Direct project will involve the redesign of services in the Blanchardstown, Lucan and Stillorgan areas and is due to take place in the summer.
    What are people's opinions on it? http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Network-Direct/Network-Direct-Phase-1/Stillorgan

These will be the two biggest changes for me:
    Route 46A is amalagamated with Route 10 to offer an all day high frequency connection to the North East of the City serving The Mater Hospital and Phoenix Park.
    Route 47 will offer an all day service from Sandyford to City Centre via Ballsbridge.

I think/hope they will both benefit me as a UCD student and local resident. I always thought that the fact that the 47 only went from Belarmine to Donnybrook was a bit ridiculous.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

Great news that the 46A will be skipping Monkstown Farm and going up Kill Avenue instead, will shave almost 10 mins off the journey!
    And I see the 63 will be going for Dun Laoghaire, suprisingly smart move from Dublin Bus, good for people wanting to go to Carrickmines Retail park or up to Kilternan / Stepaside. The old 63 route was a disaster! Although....no sign of the 75???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

This is brilliant news. The 46A to the Phoenix park, the 145 to Hueston Station and the 46A will not be going through Monkstown farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

No more no. 10 bus! The end of an era!

Though a lot of the suggestions do seem to make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

check out commuting & transport forum for mass discussion :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 iSoap

Still no busses going through Sandycove/Dalkey :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

thanks for the link :) i wonder how long the journey from dun laoghaire to the pheonix park will be - poor bus driver!

thanks for the link :) i wonder how long the journey from dun laoghaire to the pheonix park will be - poor bus driver!

They will probably increase the changes from Donnybrook station.

iSoap wrote: »

59, 8, 7d, 46n

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

59, 8, 7d, 46n

I know that this is the wrong forum to go to for talking about these issues. However, what areas are going to be covered by the Dublin Bus Network Review aside from Lucan, Blanchardstown and Stillorgan?

Are the decisions for these routes final? The reason why I ask is that on the RTE website I heard an interview with the CEO of Dublin Bus who mentioned something along the lines of visiting all the communities to find out how to better shape the network.

iSoap, I do think the Dalkey routes need to be revised in such a way that they don't duplicate the DART's functionality. Essentially, that is what the number 8 does. The 59 needs to be straightened out a lot and terminate in a more useful location, perhaps one of the new green line Luas stops. The 8 and 7d routes need to be replaced by a proper single route which covers a good stretch of the N11 so that it isn't duplicating the DART's purpose. This could be done by utilizing the Monkstown Ringroad to the N11 which doesn't appear to have been given any attention in the Network Direct project. It need not be ground-breakingly frequent but frequent enough to be seen as reliable. Maybe, half hourly on peak and hourly off peak. Thereby, Dalkey would be connected to DART, N11 and LUAS. Simple and to the point!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

I know that this is the wrong forum to go to for talking about these issues. However, what areas are going to be covered by the Dublin Bus Network Review aside from Lucan, Blanchardstown and Stillorgan?

Are the decisions for these routes final? The reason why I ask is that on the RTE website I heard an interview with the CEO of Dublin Bus who mentioned something along the lines of visiting all the communities to find out how to better shape the network.

iSoap, I do think the Dalkey routes need to be revised in such a way that they don't duplicate the DART's functionality. Essentially, that is what the number 8 does. The 59 needs to be straightened out a lot and terminate in a more useful location, perhaps one of the new green line Luas stops. The 8 and 7d routes need to be replaced by a proper single route which covers a good stretch of the N11 so that it isn't duplicating the DART's purpose. This could be done by utilizing the Monkstown Ringroad to the N11 which doesn't appear to have been given any attention in the Network Direct project. It need not be ground-breakingly frequent but frequent enough to be seen as reliable. Maybe, half hourly on peak and hourly off peak. Thereby, Dalkey would be connected to DART, N11 and LUAS. Simple and to the point!

The entire network is being reviewed on a phased basis.

• Advertisement

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Network-D...irect-Phase-1/

Phase One of the Network Direct project will involve the redesign of services in the Blanchardstown, Lucan and Stillorgan areas and is due to take place in the summer. We would like to invite customers in those areas to meet us to discuss these proposed changes on the following dates:

•Stillorgan - Stillorgan Shopping Centre, Wednesday May 12th,
    12.00pm - 6.00pm

We will have staff on hand to answer any of your questions and to explain in full detail the benefits the redesigned service will have for your area.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Network-Direct/Network-Direct-Phase-1/Stillorgan/Stillorgan-FAQs/

Stillorgan FAQ's

Will Route 10 continue to operate?

Route 10 will be joined together with Route 46a and Route 39a providing improved frequencies and additional cross city connections.

Route 46a will be extended to the Phoenix Park (Infirmary Road) via Phibsboro and North Circular Road along the current Route 10 alignment from St. Stephen’s Green. This will operate with a frequency of 10 minutes or better during the day.

Route 39a will operate from UCD Belfield to Ongar via Waterloo Road and Baggot Street (i.e. the current Route 10 alignment on the south of the city) with a frequency of 10 minutes or better during the day.

Route number 10 will no longer be in use but the route it currently serves will be provided for by Route 46a and Route 39a.

How will Monkstown Farm be served?
    Local trips and connections with Luas will be provided by a realigned Route 63 which will travel from Kilternan to Dún Laoghaire operating through Monkstown Farm at Abbey Road, Monkstown Avenue, Monkstown Farm, Oliver Plunkett Road and Mounttown Road Lower.

Customers wishing to travel on Route 46a will have buses operating from Dún Laoghaire to Phoenix Park (Infirmary Road) via Mounttown Road Lower, Kill Avenue and Kill Lane, N11 QBC, City Centre and North Circular Road.

Route 4a will be extended via Monkstown Avenue offering a new connection to Blackrock / Ballsbridge from Monkstown Farm.

Orbital Routes 75 and 175 will also serve the area. These routes are not included in Phase One of the Network Direct project.

What service will link Sandyford, Mount Merrion and the City Centre?
    Route 47 will provide this service operating from Belarmine to Sandyford Industrial Estate, Mount Merrion, Angeslea Road and Ballsbridge to the City Centre.

Route 46b will be amalgamated into Route 47.

Will Route 84 operate to the City Centre?
    Route 84x will continue to operate on its current routing giving a direct Xpresso service to the City Centre from Newcastle, Kilcoole and Greystones at peak times. The 84x from Newtownmountkennedy will no longer operate. Alternative service options from Bus Éireann are available. Route 84 will operate from Newcastle to the Cherrywood Luas Stop via Bray DART station providing onward connections to other Dublin Bus, Luas and DART services.

Will Route 145 continue to operate?
    Route 145 service will continue to operate from Kilmacanogue to the City Centre. This route will be extended to serve Heuston Station. It will no longer divert via Bray Station making the route more direct and will result in improved journey times for passengers with consistent intervals between departures.

What areas will Route 111 serve?
    Route 111 will operate from Cherrywood to Dún Laoghaire via Loughlinstown Hospital in both directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Tourman

iSoap wrote: »
    I thought the 59 went here to Dun Laoghaire. THe No 8 From Dalkey to city centre and a dart line going to bray/greystones or Howth/ Malahide or am I missing something

Tourman wrote: »
    I thought the 59 went here to Dun Laoghaire. THe No 8 From Dalkey to city centre and a dart line going to bray/greystones or Howth/ Malahide or am I missing something
    59, 8, 7d, 46n

as pointed out already above, several months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

as pointed out already above, several months ago.

I know that this is the wrong thread to be pointing this out. However, I am aware that you agreed with me on the other thread that the 7d/8 should be replaced by a proper all-day bus route from the Dalkey/Sandycove area covering the Stillorgan QBC so that it doesn't duplicate the DARTs purpose. The 59 needs to be streamlined to connect with the Cabinteely/Cornelscourt area and a new bus service linking the Dalkey/Sandycove area with the LUAS Green Line. Therefore, the Dalkey/Sandycove area would have a bus for the N11, the DART, a bus to the LUAS Green Line and one to Cornelscourt/Cabinteely. Simple straight forward and to the point. By then, Dalkey would be very well serviced by buses.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Network-Direct/Network-Direct-Phase-1/Stillorgan/
    Stillorgan/ North Wicklow
    Monday, September 13, 2010
    Dublin Bus is pleased to announce the first phase of the Network Direct project.

What does Network Direct mean for you?
    Starting on the 19th of September a more direct, high frequency, punctual bus service is coming to N11 Stillorgan, Dún Laoghaire, Bray and North Wicklow with improved cross city connections. Please Click (http://www.dublinbus.ie/PageFiles/5998/Stillorgan%20Corridor%20Map%20Final%20Version%2002%2009%202010%20copy.pdf) to view a diagram or here to see FAQ's on services in these areas.

Quicker journey times
    Quicker journey times to key destinations.

High frequency services
    Routes 46a and 145 will have weekday frequencies of 10 minutes or better until 21:00.

Improved connections for customers
    Route 46a will provide a high frequency connection between Dún Laoghaire and the
    Phoenix Park via Belfield, Luas Green line, Luas Red line, the Mater Hospital and Phibsboro.
    Route 145 will provide a high frequency connection to Heuston Station from North
    Wicklow, Shankill, Cabinteely, Stillorgan and UCD Belfield.
    The extended route 47 will offer an all day service from Stepaside to Pearse Street via
    Stillorgan Village, St Vincent’s University Hospital and Ballsbridge.

Route Improvements
    Route 46a will be more direct. It will operate on the new Kill Avenue/Kill Lane QBC and use the Stillorgan bypass at all times, giving journey time savings of up to 15 minutes.

Route 63 will provide a connection between Dún Laoghaire, Monkstown Farm,
    Cornelscourt, the Luas and Kilternan.

Route 4 will be extended to Monkstown Avenue providing connections to Blackrock, Ballsbridge, City Centre, DCU and IKEA.

Route 145 will provide a more direct service, saving approximately 10 minutes, by operating via Bray Main street.

Route 47 will now operate to the City Centre.

Route 84 will serve the Luas at Cherrywood before continuing to Stillorgan Village and UCD Belfield.

Journey times will now be significantly improved with trips to the city centre from Dún Laoghaire and Bray taking on average less than 55 minutes.

Routes 46x and 746 will no longer operate. Alternative services can be used:
    46x – Customers can take a 46a to the city centre and change to Routes 41/16a or Airlink service to travel to Dublin Airport.

746 – Customers can take a 46a to the city centre and change to Routes 41/16a, Airlink in service for travel to Dublin airport.

* Customers should please note that the amalgamation of Routes 39a/10 will take place in October.

Timetable Changes
    All timetables will be redesigned so that they will be easier to understand. Please note that new timetables read from left to right and then line by line as in a book or magazine. Weekdays are given their own column separated by colour. All routes will now have stop-specific departure times at selected locations for e.g. route 46a will have specific departure times from D’Olier Street and UCD Belfield making it easier to plan your journey.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

hmmm, not sure about this. Eg the 47 has a more useful route but half as regular, presumably with same number of buses on the route a day? It will be packed all the time..

copacetic wrote: »
    hmmm, not sure about this. Eg the 47 has a more useful route but half as regular, presumably with same number of buses on the route a day? It will be packed all the time..

Does the 47 get high loadings as it is?

KC61 wrote: »
    Does the 47 get high loadings as it is?

it'd be reasonably busy and a lot of people don't get on from stillorgan onward as it currently terminates in donnybrook. I'd imagine it will be very busy now that it is half as regular and it goes to town. Maybe not though?

• Advertisement

copacetic wrote: »
    it'd be reasonably busy and a lot of people don't get on from stillorgan onward as it currently terminates in donnybrook. I'd imagine it will be very busy now that it is half as regular and it goes to town. Maybe not though?

I think that it would make more sense to be busier don't you?

KC61 wrote: »
    I think that it would make more sense to be busier don't you?

I guess it depends on your point of view, as a user obviously enough I much much prefer 15 mins between buses rather than 40 mins during the week and 30 mins rather than an hour at the weekends

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Tourman

Route 145 will provide a more direct service, saving approximately 10 minutes, by operating via Bray Main street.

I have seen this advertised several times and it gives the impression that there will be a saving on all journey times but this is far from the case at the moment approx 75 % of buses on this route operate via the Main street and only a minority of the buses on the 145 route operate via the dart station. As far as I am aware the will be still some delays to change drivers but this will happen on the main street. If the bus is a head of time there will still be delays waiting for the relief driver. This system may also cause traffic delays in an already congested Bray town. The new system may be of some improvement but certainly not a panicia.

Tourman wrote: »

I have seen this advertised several times and it gives the impression that there will be a saving on all journey times but this is far from the case at the moment approx 75 % of buses on this route operate via the Main street and only a minority of the buses on the 145 route operate via the dart station. As far as I am aware the will be still some delays to change drivers but this will happen on the main street. If the bus is a head of time there will still be delays waiting for the relief driver. This system may also cause traffic delays in an already congested Bray town. The new system may be of some improvement but certainly not a panicia.

The main problem that diverting to the station caused was it meant huge gaps in the service between Bray and the city before two buses appeared together. The headway between buses will now even out and therefore the loads will now be more evenly spread out.

Yes, no more buses going through Stillorgan village again and now more Monkstown farm with the 46A

Advertisement