Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N8 Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

i'm addicted to that game! its brilliant! so moreish!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Sitec wrote: »
    i'm addicted to that game! its brilliant! so moreish!:D

yeah its worth 4 euro the comments are cheesy

jimmynokia wrote: »
    yeah its worth 4 euro the comments are cheesy
    ah stop cheese is right! he would drive yah cracked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Hi,

Got my new N8 over Christmas there and am delighted with it so far..the radio transmitter was a nice little bonus which I was unaware of when getting it. Just need to get a good micro SD and get more music on it.My old 80gb ipod and well cheap transmitter just ain't up to it anymore. Hard to get a free FM frequency in Dublin though I have to say. Anyone know a good one?

Another feature I like is being able to link my phones contacts to their facebook page...their facebook profile picture then becomes their contact picture on your phone.

Anyway I have a query regarding video playback. I have a load of avi files on my hard drive at home but the media player on the n8 wont play these. I used to use Divx player on my N958GB but there doesnt seem to be a version for this symbian edition.

So basically is there any way I can go about watching these avi files (and also outputting them to TV via HDMI) without using some sort of convertor software or do I need to go through that hassle?

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I have been using 98.5 and working ok for me for the past while.

• Advertisement

Hi,

Another feature I like is being able to link my phones contacts to their facebook page...their facebook profile picture then becomes their contact picture on your phone.

Cheers.
    How did you do this???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Go into your contacts, selct desired contact, select the Social Network option and it'll seach your Facebook through Ovi and if the name matches you can make their Facebook picture the picture on their contact card!

kmart6 wrote: »
    Go into your contacts, selct desired contact, select the Social Network option and it'll seach your Facebook through Ovi and if the name matches you can make their Facebook picture the picture on their contact card!

Well strictly speaking the names dont have to match...you can search for the person in case you have them in your phone contacts as their nicknames!

Well if we're being pedantic about it if you are searching for a contact called Brian then it may give you all of your friends on Facebook that are named Brian, however if its Brian Murphy you are searching then it will only give you your friends on Facebook called Brian Murphy!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

88.1 i use. As you're driving around you'll need to change a bit. It's a pity you can't preload more than 2 or 3 frequencies that work for you. I do play avi files on my phone no problem. Don't know why you can't. Did you try a few different files as it may be the files themselves rather than the phone.

• Advertisement

OK I was getting a message in windows explorer when I tried to copy an avi file directly onto the mass memory of the phone. This said that the avi file would just be stored on the phone and may not be recognised or used by the phone itself. I guess I just gave up to easy! Just copied an avi file and it does work fine using the video player so sorted. Excellent. Mad Men Season 4 here I come!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭mrs aol

is there a problem with predictive text? mine isn't working. any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭mrs aol

seems ok now . I rebooted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

Hi,

Got my new N8 over Christmas there and am delighted with it so far..the radio transmitter was a nice little bonus which I was unaware of when getting it. Just need to get a good micro SD and get more music on it.My old 80gb ipod and well cheap transmitter just ain't up to it anymore. Hard to get a free FM frequency in Dublin though I have to say. Anyone know a good one?

I usually stay with one of the lower frequencies like 88.1 or 88.3, even if there is a faint signal there you usually can't hear anything even during the quiet parts of playback.

With regards to the microSD card I bought this one over Christmas for 66 delivered which was the best I could find, mind you they'll prob become cheaper as more become available, there weren't that many 32gig ones to be found. Haven't had a chance to set it up but I plan to use it exclusively for music and use the 16gb on the phone for photos/videos/apps etc. I'm hoping that way everything should run smoothly. I also hope there's a way to do this!

I'll let you know how I get on and what the card's like once I get everything transferred to where I want it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,038 ✭✭✭✭cena

anyone use skype on the phone yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭kirving

mrs aol wrote: »
    is there a problem with predictive text? mine isn't working. any ideas?

Mine is gone funny today, it will give me an "E" when I press 2, and "U" when I press 6. You can cycle through the letters to get the right one, but it that wont work for words.

I have Swype installed, which could be affecting it maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,038 ✭✭✭✭cena

i'v not used it yet. still wait on getting boardband back

cena wrote: »
    anyone use skype on the phone yet.

Ye works fine

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

I was under the impression that the skype app didn't work on this phone.
    Which one did you use? (and where can I d/l it, please).
    Davy wrote: »
    Ye works fine

And I'd really appreciate any suggestions for:-
    - a Winamp like music player
    - internet radio app (soundtrackr doesn't work for me)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭jimmy_t

Mine is gone funny today, it will give me an "E" when I press 2, and "U" when I press 6. You can cycle through the letters to get the right one, but it that wont work for words.

I have Swype installed, which could be affecting it maybe?

Ya this has happened me 2 or 3 times in the last few months but i send a lot of texts so it mightnt be as likely to be encountered by other people but a reboot just fixes it, it really goes awol, impossible to write a text when it happens, cant wait for the firmware update, hopefully itll fix the keyboard and slow screen rotation issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

Yeah I'd agree that the music player and internet radio are substandard on the n8. Hopefully firmware upgrade will address these issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

jimmy_t wrote: »
    Ya this has happened me 2 or 3 times in the last few months but i send a lot of texts so it mightnt be as likely to be encountered by other people but a reboot just fixes it, it really goes awol, impossible to write a text when it happens, cant wait for the firmware update, hopefully itll fix the keyboard and slow screen rotation issue.

By far and away the most annoying thing about the phone...

Italia wrote: »

http://www.skype.com/intl/en-gb/get-skype/on-your-mobile/download/skype-for-symbian/ :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

Italia wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

jimmynokia wrote: »
    we must give count of best scores
    have to regisiter for it though to up load keep in touch on the course doonbeg of course been irish is number one ...

Right then, played Doonbeg there with a round of 66. The course record is 64 or there abouts at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

I saw this link a while ago, but didn't download it, as there were many reports that it didn't work with the N8.
    From your reply, I take it that it is a new version and has no issues with the N8 (IOW - a straightforward installation)?
    Davy wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭jeremyr62

I got it from there for the N8 and it works OK. It needs polishing though. Not as good as using Fring when it had Skype IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

jimmy_t wrote: »

you can mod the screen rotation yourself
    Its fairly easy once you get the hang of it
    You can use it on unhacked phone but as you cant delete the .cre in BE9 you cant change it
    Anyway when you need to hard reset flash with a hacked UDA (Faenil's is good) also this will save you from loss of QT and Store issue
    Also after hacking you can fix most issues yourself, but sometimes nuking the thing with a HR is the best solution ;)

• Advertisement

you can mod the screen rotation yourself
    Its fairly easy once you get the hang of it
    You can use it on unhacked phone but as you cant delete the .cre in BE9 you cant change it
    Anyway when you need to hard reset flash with a hacked UDA (Faenil's is good) also this will save you from loss of QT and Store issue
    Also after hacking you can fix most issues yourself, but sometimes nuking the thing with a HR is the best solution ;)
    I did not understand one word of that, im a technotard!

Advertisement