Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N8 Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

superspark wrote: »
    hi lads, been following this thread for a while and finally got an N8 myself, good phone a few small problems one of which seems to be the wifi, i'm with 3 and have the 2gb free but when i connect to the wifi at home through the connectivity it always seems to come up connecting to 3(01) and downloading it from my free data, if anyone can help i would appreciate it,
    thanks in advance

You need ti change your default connection in destinations. It it currently at wap, you need to change it to internet. This is signified by the little tick beside it on the destinations home page.

Gon into destinations, press options > default connection > and select internet. Then confirm you have wlan as priority 1 in the internet and away you go.

The CM points out the (01) is when the APN has been listed twice. All access points do this inducing when you setup wlan points.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 superspark

Davy wrote: »
    You need ti change your default connection in destinations. It it currently at wap, you need to change it to internet. This is signified by the little tick beside it on the destinations home page.

Gon into destinations, press options > default connection > and select internet. Then confirm you have wlan as priority 1 in the internet and away you go.

The CM points out the (01) is when the APN has been listed twice. All access points do this inducing when you setup wlan points.

i done what you said davy and i think that has sorted the problem although skype and a few other apps seems to connect through 3 and wont work with the wifi, thanks any way lads

superspark wrote: »
    i done what you said davy and i think that has sorted the problem although skype and a few other apps seems to connect through 3 and wont work with the wifi, thanks any way lads

Their skype will only work through 3. If you get skype from skype.com it will work through wlan. You can verify each connection by going to the application settings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

g0g wrote: »
    Took the plunge and got this phone in the end as it was only 40 quid. I'm coming from an N97 and so far so good with it! :)

Questions:
    1) Other than two posts way back in the thread I can't find many app recommendations. Let us know if you all have any!
    2) Is there no quick way to link your contacts to facebook etc with the social networks thingy? Seems like I have to do them one by one and the search never finds them that quick.

Initial Comments:
    It's smooth although I have to confess maybe a little bit slower than I expected!
    Not having a keyboard will take getting used to after the N97.
    Absolutely love having a GPS that finally works and doesn't seem to eat as much battery as N97 did while using it
    Watched the demo videos that came on it and quality is excellent.
    Battery life seems great so far.
    Won't connect to Nokia bluetooth in my car yet which is kinda annoying!
    Camera quality is top notch.
    Phone has a lovely "feel" about it!
    Will post more when I've played with it more!

Aha, so it's not just me! Has anyone actually managed to connect the bluetooth on this phone to anything??:confused:

rickyjb wrote: »
    Aha, so it's not just me! Has anyone actually managed to connect the bluetooth on this phone to anything??:confused:

Yes, to a few car kits some nokia, some not, and connected to a few phones, some nokia and some not. When searching, always select 'all devices' rather then just audio devices etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

yep...no problem connecting to Nokia CK-15W via BT and to my Thinkpad T61 laptop via BT.
    Have also had success connecting to the wife's Renault built in BT (no idea what system it is) - just works.

Have had some problems connecting to other cellphones though. Bit of a hit and miss affair. Sometimes will just not work even though have connected to same device before....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

g0g wrote: »
    Took the plunge and got this phone in the end as it was only 40 quid. I'm coming from an N97 and so far so good with it! :)

Questions:
    1) Other than two posts way back in the thread I can't find many app recommendations. Let us know if you all have any!
    2) Is there no quick way to link your contacts to facebook etc with the social networks thingy? Seems like I have to do them one by one and the search never finds them that quick.

Initial Comments:
    It's smooth although I have to confess maybe a little bit slower than I expected!
    Not having a keyboard will take getting used to after the N97.
    Absolutely love having a GPS that finally works and doesn't seem to eat as much battery as N97 did while using it
    Watched the demo videos that came on it and quality is excellent.
    Battery life seems great so far.
    Won't connect to Nokia bluetooth in my car yet which is kinda annoying!
    Camera quality is top notch.
    Phone has a lovely "feel" about it!
    Will post more when I've played with it more!

In relation to your query on linking your contacts to their facebook accounts there is an app that cost €1 that does this for all your contacts. Again though it is necessary that their contact name matches their facebook profile name exactly. I tidied up all my phone contacts and now you just have to run the app and it will link my phones contacts to their facebook account and use their photo.

This is the link and it worked great for me:
    http://store.ovi.com/content/57267?clickSource=search

I also had an issue with connecting to the standard nokia CK-7W handsfree kit. What I had to do was clear all the saved numbers on the handfree to clear it up again then once I had done this the N8 conencted with no issues. To clear out all the old saved phones you need to have the power to the handsfree off and hold the button for about 10 seconds I think. Worked for me anyway.

I am having some of my own issues with the email client on the phone and have it connected to my gmail account. My major 2 issues are as follows:

- If I want to write an email and click on the 'To' button it only searches my phone contacts for email addresses and not my gmail address book...can this be changed cos it is a pain unless you have everything synced to the max!

- Links in emails dont seem to work for me if Opera is selected as my default browser.

Now the other issues I have is now that i have tidied up my contacts and put all their phone numbers under one contact name i can only seem to access one number for them when trying to ring them. i.e. if you go into their contact car/details only one number comes up under voice call and yet I can message them to the 2 numbers. Anyone else notice this?! Extremely frustrating as where I have contacts with a landline and maybe 2 mobile numbers I can only easily phone one number?!

Overall I'm loving the phone though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭kirving

I had a problem with GMail Account too, I'll try it again now and see if it works. Its certaily a known problem with the N8 which hopefully will be sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

I also had an issue with connecting to the standard nokia CK-7W handsfree kit. What I had to do was clear all the saved numbers on the handfree to clear it up again then once I had done this the N8 conencted with no issues. To clear out all the old saved phones you need to have the power to the handsfree off and hold the button for about 10 seconds I think. Worked for me anyway.

- Links in emails dont seem to work for me if Opera is selected as my default browser.

Yeah you can't open any links from gmail which is annoying, I just copy the text then open Opera separately and paste it in.

I can't connect to a sony Bluetooth headphone set which my Nokia xpress music was able to connect to. Also very annoying.

Struggling to get 2 days out of the battery with limited enough use but maybe this is normal for "smart" phones, I've nothing to really compare it to. Does 1.5 - 2 days sound about right? I usually turn it off at night also, and charge when it's fully dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭g0g

In relation to your query on linking your contacts to their facebook accounts there is an app that cost €1 that does this for all your contacts. Again though it is necessary that their contact name matches their facebook profile name exactly. I tidied up all my phone contacts and now you just have to run the app and it will link my phones contacts to their facebook account and use their photo.

This is the link and it worked great for me:
    http://store.ovi.com/content/57267?clickSource=search

I am having some of my own issues with the email client on the phone and have it connected to my gmail account. My major 2 issues are as follows:

- If I want to write an email and click on the 'To' button it only searches my phone contacts for email addresses and not my gmail address book...can this be changed cos it is a pain unless you have everything synced to the max!

Now the other issues I have is now that i have tidied up my contacts and put all their phone numbers under one contact name i can only seem to access one number for them when trying to ring them. i.e. if you go into their contact car/details only one number comes up under voice call and yet I can message them to the 2 numbers. Anyone else notice this?! Extremely frustrating as where I have contacts with a landline and maybe 2 mobile numbers I can only easily phone one number?!

Thanks for the reply! In the end I got bored and just manually matched them up. I wonder does it update their photos as they change their profile pictures now!?

Re the second answer (car kit) I actually found the same answer just yesterday by googling it and got it sorted. I did just what you did - cleared paired devices then it found my kit right away!:)

Delighted to see someone has started up a thread of useful aps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

Struggling to get 2 days out of the battery with limited enough use but maybe this is normal for "smart" phones, I've nothing to really compare it to. Does 1.5 - 2 days sound about right? I usually turn it off at night also, and charge when it's fully dead.

I get 2 full days out the phone with moderate use, but I've switched off a few "cool" functions like the big clock screensaver and default 3G connection (find that the normal connection works just as well).
    If I use the phone heavily, I'll get about 1.5 days out of it.

Italia wrote: »
    I get 2 full days out the phone with moderate use, but I've switched off a few "cool" functions like the big clock screensaver and default 3G connection (find that the normal connection works just as well).
    If I use the phone heavily, I'll get about 1.5 days out of it.

Ye i was looking at my usage in the past to days. I charged it saturday night, used 2 hours fm transmitter, 2 hours gps, an hour browsing, about 50 texts and maybe 30 mins of calls. Email was on sync for most of it, but i thought it was good going. Its just plugged in charging now, it had one bar left, but hadnt going to power saving mode yet, so i would have got awhile more out of it. All in all about 44 hours usage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

It'll take a couple of charge-discharge cycles for the battery to reach its proper performance. Even then, battery life depends a lot on network conditions - if you're in marginal reception areas a lot, your battery will be toast.

One other tip: "widgets to offline mode" can save you a good bit, depending on what you've stuck on your homepage.

Turn off Bluetooth when not using it too.. choose "Call", and hold down * (an old shortcut that still works)

Your Wifi can be set to only come on when needed. Make sure WLAN Power saving is on. Go to Settings > Connectivity > WLAN > press 'Options' >Settings and change "Power Saving"

You can also disable automatic WiFi scanning here.

Davy wrote: »
    Ye i was looking at my usage in the past to days. I charged it saturday night, used 2 hours fm transmitter, 2 hours gps, an hour browsing, about 50 texts and maybe 30 mins of calls. Email was on sync for most of it, but i thought it was good going. Its just plugged in charging now, it had one bar left, but hadnt going to power saving mode yet, so i would have got awhile more out of it. All in all about 44 hours usage

Must have cursed myself, its now back on charge which was only 20 hours. Their wasnt much calls, but it was connected online the whole time for emails, and browsing. Their was about 4 hours of gps but the real killer was the uno HD game, it was running in the background for a few hours, seemed to be the killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭superfrank

Well Lads, thinking of getting an N8.

Main reason I want one is the 12mp camera. But I'm concerned about the N8's OS. I was sure all nokia's run on android. I've heard the "Ovi Store" isn't as good as Android.

I was wondering if there are any signs of Android being on the N8 anytime soon?

Cheers,

SF

It will most likely be meego > http://meego.com/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

prepare for all caps:
    THERE IS NO HOPE OF A FUNCTIONING OS OTHER THAN SYMBAIN ON NOKIA SYMBAIN PHONES

sorry bout that lads, seems people don't realise (I am friends with many Symbain Modders, all who know C++ will tell you that)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

As shadowninty says, there is pretty much zero chance of porting Android onto these phones. Android doesn't stand alone - it needs a Linux OS underneath it, and there's no Linux that will run on the N8/C7/C6-01. All the other ports of Android are pretty low-skill efforts: the devices were either already supported chipsets, or they already ran Linux. Anyone competent in Linux deployment could have done these in a couple of days.

To get a Linux running on a new chipset needs driver development work - and the documentation for the hardware. This latter part won't be coming out of Nokia any time soon. (Even if you could port a kernel, there's the problem of how to load it onto the device...)

Symbian3 gets a UI refresh later this year (autumn), which should address most of its shortcomings compared to Android. This update will be available for N8 users (and C7/E7/C6-01 too).

Honestly, if you really prefer Android, just get an Android phone; waiting for Nokia to use this OS will be a pointless exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭superfrank

How good is the N8's Battery? just for moderate daily use for example?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

ANDROID will not be on the N8
    THATS FOR SURE

battery life is poor to be honest for the N8

HERES A NEW GAME FOR N/8/C7/C6-01 its called fuzzies hd

http://store.ovi.com/content/60180?clickSource=search

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

try data quota from symbianzone when you set up mail dont accept the Nokia t and c this is supposed to work have to try it myself i use yahoo and its set to soonest and i would be waiting hours but this is known with Nokia other vica that its nimbuzz or fring messaging

There is one on the ovi store, its basic enough. Think its called datamonitor. I have another one but only works on monthly, allowance from the billing date you set.

Just close the app, and reboot the handset, this can happen left syncing over long periods of time. Usually I will get a notification on the handset before the pc when they are both on together

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Got my money back after buying a dodgy n8 a few weeks, actually delighted to have my money back. Too much flash and gimmick in a phone for my liking and its slow, cumbersome and has a 24 hours or less battery life. The camera is nice. That's about it really. Other than that every other smart phone will do the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Got my money back after buying a dodgy n8 a few weeks, actually delighted to have my money back. Too much flash and gimmick in a phone for my liking and its slow, cumbersome and has a 24 hours or less battery life. The camera is nice. That's about it really. Other than that every other smart phone will do the same thing.
    sorry to hear that,sounds like you got one o the first ones made.
    i got mine on 23/12/10,its workin fine for me.

battery life is about a day an an half to two days,depends on what im usin
    it fo.plus you do know it takes a few charges for the battery to get to this stage?im lovin it tbh.

ok,not as much apps as iphonie or android.
    but i can live without lots of bull apps.
    plus it has usb on the go,
    hmdi...is feckin great for home vids.
    and it suports so many codecs its unreal,
    well its all i want in a phone.

but each to thier own i guess..
    anway,i hope you find/enjoy the phone
    your lookin for my man:)

Advertisement