Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N8 Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Got my money back after buying a dodgy n8 a few weeks, actually delighted to have my money back. Too much flash and gimmick in a phone for my liking and its slow, cumbersome and has a 24 hours or less battery life. The camera is nice. That's about it really. Other than that every other smart phone will do the same thing.

If you got a dodgy handset, dont you think thats why it was slow etc. You cant really base a review on a dodgy handset, and their is always going to be a few when you make 5 million of them in a very short space of time

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

Got my money back after buying a dodgy n8 a few weeks, actually delighted to have my money back. Too much flash and gimmick in a phone for my liking and its slow, cumbersome and has a 24 hours or less battery life. The camera is nice. That's about it really. Other than that every other smart phone will do the same thing.
    Too much flash and gimmick... every other smart phone will do the same thing! Fm transmitter, usb on the go, hdmi, 12 mp camera. Which other phone has any of these!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭superfrank

Getting this phone soon...I wouldn't be mad on apps..just your usual..facebook..paddypower..twitter..I presume all them apps are available for Symbian...

Also are there major improvements being made for Symbian??

How is the device as a phone?? making phonecalls and texting? is it user friendly?

cheers,

SF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

superfrank wrote: »
    Getting this phone soon...I wouldn't be mad on apps..just your usual..facebook..paddypower..twitter..I presume all them apps are available for Symbian...
    while I don't use them, the apps for Twitter and FB or awful for Symbain (Gravity is €10, maybe good) PP app only for iPhone, wont see one for Symbain

Also are there major improvements being made for Symbian??
    new browser core with UI improvements (as it is now - its tragic); should be a UI upgrade at the end of the year (bare in mind they will keep AVKON, so you wont be getting a UI like IOS, they can't change a lot within AVKON
    How is the device as a phone?? making phonecalls
    its Nokia (the best)
    and texting?
    crap keyboard, mediocre app, no alternitives available
    is it user friendly?
    not really unless you have been using Symbain for years

while I don't use them, the apps for Twitter and FB or awful for Symbain (Gravity is €10, maybe good) PP app only for iPhone, wont see one for Symbain

new browser core with UI improvements (as it is now - its tragic); should be a UI upgrade at the end of the year (bare in mind they will keep AVKON, so you wont be getting a UI like IOS, they can't change a lot within AVKON
    its Nokia (the best)
    crap keyboard, mediocre app, no alternitives available

not really unless you have been using Symbain for years

WOW so I presume you wouldn't recommend the Nokia N8?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

To be honest I have one and it's not great at all

mine sometimes decides half way through writing a text message it wants to reset the itself.

another time I was on the train and i was getting a phonecall, hit "answer" phone froze but continued to keep ringing. Even trying to reset the phone with the power button/ slide button etc it WOULD NOT STOP RINGING. The battery cant be take so this continued on for half an hour until it finally reset. had to hold my finger over the speaker the whole time and it could still kind of be heard.

FM transmitter is the job though so handy when your driving.

Camera is amazing (although not that great indoors)

Screen and colours are great.

Good games available for it.

The hardware is amazingly well engineered, will defo last a long time.

***I'M HOPING THE ISSUES AT THE START WILL BE SOLVED WITH THE SOFTWARE UPDATE***

Oh and the HD OUT and 720p Video camera is very good.

Sitec wrote: »

mine sometimes decides half way through writing a text message it wants to reset the itself.

another time I was on the train and i was getting a phonecall, hit "answer" phone froze but continued to keep ringing. Even trying to rest the phone with the power button/ slide button etc it WOULD NOT STOP RINGING. The battery cant be take so this continued on for half an hour until it finally reset. had to hold my finger over the speaker the whole time and it could still kind of be heard.

FM transmitter is the job though so handy when your driving.

Camera is amazing (although not that great indoors)

Screen and colours are great.

Good games available for it.

The hardware is amazingly well engineered, will defo last a long time.

Have you looked into getting it fixed? sounds faulty no?

Have you looked into getting it fixed? sounds faulty no?
    I bought it November so i doubt it would be fixed for free. Il wait til the software update and hope it solves it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 I_am_red

another time I was on the train and i was getting a phonecall, hit "answer" phone froze but continued to keep ringing. Even trying to rest the phone with the power button/ slide button etc it WOULD NOT STOP RINGING. The battery cant be take so this continued on for half an hour until it finally reset. had to hold my finger over the speaker the whole time and it could still kind of be heard.

Sitec, if the phone freezes or goes crazy like that again hold down the power button for about 10 seconds. the phone will vibrate 3 times to let you know its reset itself. Then switch it back on and away you go! Its a feature Nokia put on the phone as the battery can't be easily removed.

• Advertisement

I_am_red wrote: »
    Sitec, if the phone freezes or goes crazy like that again hold down the power button for about 10 seconds. the phone will vibrate 3 times to let you know its reset itself. Then switch it back on and away you go! Its a feature Nokia put on the phone as the battery can't be easily removed.
    i thought it was hold power/unlock button/and the one at the front.

No, thats a hard reset which clears everything off the phone and puts it back to factory settings. The way i mentioned just allows you to restart the phone if everything freezes up and the screen is unresponsive. It does what taking the battery out of a phone would do in the same situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

no thats a hard reset,you will lose eveything on the phone
    usin that.if you hold the power botton for ten seconds it will
    just turn off

another time I was on the train and i was getting a phonecall, hit "answer" phone froze but continued to keep ringing. Even trying to reset the phone with the power button/ slide button etc it WOULD NOT STOP RINGING. The battery cant be take so this continued on for half an hour until it finally reset. had to hold my finger over the speaker the whole time and it could still kind of be heard
    I have these issues on my S^1/S^2 5530, not fixed I guess :/

***I'M HOPING THE ISSUES AT THE START WILL BE SOLVED WITH THE SOFTWARE UPDATE***
    The PR1.1 update is imminent, tho it has been for months
    it was available for a few hours on NaviFirm, but was later removed

No, thats a hard reset which clears everything off the phone and puts it back to factory settings. The way i mentioned just allows you to restart the phone if everything freezes up and the screen is unresponsive. It does what taking the battery out of a phone would do in the same situation.
    it's not a heard reset I did it a few times and everything was still on it?

it's not a heard reset I did it a few times and everything was still on it?

Thats strange, should have been a hard reset. Tried it myself a couple of months ago, even lost the "social" widget which took me a while to fix. Nokia don't recommend using the hard reset option at all.

WOW so I presume you wouldn't recommend the Nokia N8?

depends on what you want
    it does have the best camera ever in a phone (let down by mediocre cam app and sweet), HDMI (720P :/), USB-OTG (no NFTS support tho, understandably, but not even EXT :()
    as a generalisation: I wouldn't
    I'd recommend you try it and compare it to the latest Android and WP7's

I moved from three years of Symbain to a low/mid end Android and am very happy :)

Nokia don't recommend using the hard reset option at all.

a Hard Reset a day month keeps the corrupted .cre file bugs at bay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

a Hard Reset a day month keeps the corrupted .cre file bugs at bay :)
    Really?
    I've had mine for almost 3 months and have never had to do a hard rest. Works just as well as it did on the first day.

For someone who openly doesn't like Symbian / Nokia, you do seem to spend an awful lot of time in this forum. Why is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

In this quarter's earning report it would seem like the N8 has been a disappointment for Nokia, they refused to state how many N8s were sold. Fair to assume that it was short of expectations. They have failed to bring their "flagship" handset to their biggest market, the US. Market share is in free fall, particularly in the smartphone market.

Nokia have stuck with an inferior OS for too long. The N8 should not have shipped with the "promise" of a "future update" to "transform" it into an Android/iPhone killer. It would seem that Meego might be dead in the water, or certainly being reconsidered. Nokia have admitted they are now considering "joining an ecosystem", wether that be Android or WP7 remains to be seen.

It's such a shame Nokia lost sight of the prize somewhere along the way. They had such a head start, yet let it slip away producing the wrong phones, at the wrong time, destroying their reputation.

The N8 has done nothing to repair that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

Nokia have admitted they are now considering "joining an ecosystem", wether that be Android or WP7 remains to be seen.
    The next sentence after that was about them not losing their ability to differentiate, which is exactly what Android would mean. WP7 hasn't lit up the market either, so why jump there?

This comment about ecosystems is more about ditching OVI services in preference to superior alternatives where they exist (IM, social networking), and perhaps joint-ventures where OVI have useful tech (Mapping with MS/Bing/Multimap?). There's not much to be gained in Nokia writing a Facebook client (as they do now), when they could get Facebook to do it for them instead.

By the way, Nokia never publish sales numbers for individual models, whether they sell well or not. The number of people I've seen with N8s would suggest they sold well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Dunno if I'm just being paranoid here but the sample Tron trailers that came in the phone look very bad on my handset - lots of noise in the black areas.
    Anyone else seeing this too ?

long_b wrote: »
    Dunno if I'm just being paranoid here but the sample Tron trailers that came in the phone look very bad on my handset - lots of noise in the black areas.
    Anyone else seeing this too ?

Is this the trailer your talking about?
    Its the video rather then handset, and it the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Yup, that's the one.

Strange how they'd put such a pants looking video on to show off the handset ?

I've downloaded a couple of other ones from the Ovi Store, they look equally pants :(

Same on yours Davy ?

But they are the same on the big screen, the tron ones i mean, so its not that the handset is displaying them properly if you get me. I cant say i noticed others, but link away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

Thats strange, should have been a hard reset. Tried it myself a couple of months ago, even lost the "social" widget which took me a while to fix. Nokia don't recommend using the hard reset option at all.

How did u fix the social widget really wrecks my head

I have an issue connecting on the web when I'm away from my wireless network
    I can't access the web via 3G, contacted Vodafone and they said in the browser settings to change the connection to WAP services, rang again and they sent me out settings which changed it to "Vodafone Live" no joy in either case..
    any one any suggestions, using Opera Mobile and the default web browser same issue with both

Also am I the only the person in Ireland that cannot get the social app to work ?
    keeps saying to re install, which I have doen no joy at all

vasch_ro wrote: »
    I have an issue connecting on the web when I'm away from my wireless network
    I can't access the web via 3G, contacted Vodafone and they said in the browser settings to change the connection to WAP services, rang again and they sent me out settings which changed it to "Vodafone Live" no joy in either case..
    any one any suggestions, using Opera Mobile and the default web browser same issue with both

Go to your 'destination' settings, under the connectivity settings. Click 'internet' and make sure VF live is in their, if not copy it from WAP. Then go back a screen, where it has the list of connections, and make sure 'internet' is set as the default connection. This is signified by the tick beside it. You do this you press options and default connection, simples. Let me know how you get on

vasch_ro wrote: »
    Also am I the only the person in Ireland that cannot get the social app to work ?
    keeps saying to re install, which I have doen no joy at all

When have you tried it last? Their was an update for this last week to correct this problem, once you open the app it should automatically ask you to update

• Advertisement

Hi thanks for the reply changed my settings under destinations and will test tomorrow,
    no joy with the social app, updated through the phone software update, and still getting the same update that's been out for a while for it, updated and still said sorry reinstall communities
    also tried re installing through the new beta ovi suite to no joy also
    its really wrecking my head as its quite a good app and worked perfectly as first

Advertisement