Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N8 Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭superfrank

Got This Phone, Have to Say its Great. The 12mp Camera is a great job :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

No joy Davy, is it possible for me to post screen pics of the N8 here
    as in screen shots of my set up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

right have it installed updates to follow !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

vasch_ro wrote: »
    Also am I the only the person in Ireland that cannot get the social app to work ?
    keeps saying to re install, which I have doen no joy at all

No, my wife's O2-branded phone refuses to run it too. I've tried everything short of a complete wipe and restore, with no joy (new SIM, uninstall/reinstall, backup media/flash firmware/reinstall each version in turn, etc, etc,). Thinking of calling in to them at weekend and getting an answer: despite the rest of the phone being perfect, this one application has never worked.

My own unbranded N8 runs Social perfectly. Custom software version and product code are different between the two units, though.

As an alternative, there's a newer, and much improved, version of the old Socially application available:

Here

... and as a bonus, you get notifications, which is something Nokia Social doesn't do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭jeremyr62

Yes my N8 has the suspect screen quality issue too. If you go to the Symbian 3 section of http://forum.dailymobile.se you will find quite a few others with the problem. It's especially noticeable in dark scenes. Bright scenes look fine BTW at least on mine. There are some test images in the "Nokia n8 AMOLED Display Colour problem!" thread which will confirm/deny if your handset is affected. The transitions from almost very dark grey to black look dark red on my screen.

However it is a phone after all so it's not a huge issue for me. Hoping it's a software issue and not hardware but I doubt it can be fixed easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

Has anyone else's phone done this: I have 4 new msgs (I could feel the phone vibrating on 4 separate occasions over the morning but couldn't take it out of my pocket) checked it there and when I pressed view on the new msgs notification it brought me to conversations but there was nothing new there? Went back and checked my inbox and most recent msg is from last night?!

There def wasn't anything on it this morning so I know I did get the msgs but now I can't see them, very annoying.

Also it seems to erase my calls log every day, there's never anything in there (even though I have made and received calls) is this happening to anyone else??

Phone is really starting to wreck my head...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭cena

i find the vibrating is not that strong. i never feel it in the pocket when on silent. any way too make it stronger

• Advertisement

Yeah I have that set.

I find the vibration fine, I felt the messages just couldn't read them when I got the notification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

Has been happening to me also for the last or so- the vibration thing!

I haven't been asked from friends or family "did you not get my message?" So I have just assumed that it is an glitch in the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

Can't install nokia internet radio on n8, anyone having similar issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

dr ro wrote: »

No, what error you getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

Maybe I'm missing something, but there is no "Internet Radio" app for the N8 as yet. There is only Soundtrackr, and that is very very flaky at best (I haven't managed to get it to login, let alone play anything).

If there is a specific app (like for the N97), I'd be very interested in trying it.
    dr ro wrote: »

Italia wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing something, but there is no "Internet Radio" app for the N8 as yet. There is only Soundtrackr, and that is very very flaky at best (I haven't managed to get it to login, let alone play anything).

If there is a specific app (like for the N97), I'd be very interested in trying it.

http://store.ovi.com/content/75064

Does it actually work on the N8?
    Every article I've read, says that there isn't an app for the N8 and this one doesn't say it is compatible.

is there a specific way to install it (beyond the obvious).
    Davy wrote: »

Click this and install it via cable using ovi suite

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

thanks davy. Found your uninstallation instructions on apps thread and worked perfectly. I'd removed app already from phone but it wasn't completely uninstalled. Now if you can tell me how to get rte on it I'll be on my way. Thanks!

• Advertisement

i can't get the n8 too connect too the internet from the pc. its says theres no settings setup. what do i have too do.

also how do i get it too play on the t.v.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭g0g

To play on TV just plug a HDMI cable into the Nokia converter cable and your phone appears on TV screen in landscape or normal depending on how you hold the phone. Also check on the betalabs website for a program to show photos/music on screen plus also you can control your phone with a Wii controller!

all i want too do is update the phone. but its not connecting throught the net on the computer. but its saying there is no setting setup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭g0g

cena wrote: »
    all i want too do is update the phone. but its not connecting throught the net on the computer. but its saying there is no setting setup
    Sorry mine was just an answer to the second question! you'll need someone more techie for the first!:)

cena wrote: »
    i can't get the n8 too connect too the internet from the pc. its says theres no settings setup. what do i have too do.

also how do i get it too play on the t.v.

First, you'll need a Windows PC (there is no Mac application for updating the phone firmware. XP, Vista or Windows 7.

Download OVI Suite (click this link)

Go here for a guide to using the software.

To update the phone firmware, click "Tools" (top of the windows) and "Updates", or just click the green square icon with the white arrow pointing downwards inside it.

The update can take a while to do, so be patient.

Thanks Davy

Internet radio app works like a dream :D

Does battery usage improve if you don't run the Mobile Documents beta?

Remember, nothing on the Beta Labs site is intended for day-to-day production use. If you notice something, you should report a bug.

• Advertisement

Davy wrote: »
    Click this and install it via cable using ovi suite

I also downloaded the internet radio app but it doesn't seem to have installed anywhere, link above doesn't seem to work either. Why doesn't it work when you install it straight from the ovi store to your phone??

Advertisement