Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N8 Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

rickyjb wrote: »
    I also downloaded the internet radio app but it doesn't seem to have installed anywhere, link above doesn't seem to work either. Why doesn't it work when you install it straight from the ovi store to your phone??

Because you have nokia big screen installed?
    Davy wrote: »
    Uninstall 'Noka big screen' first. Do this by going:

Settings > app manager > installed apps > options > uninstall. It can be reinstalled afterwards.

The radio app itself is great, thousands of stations to choose from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

jimmynokia wrote: »

Thats fairly big news. Does anyone know if its legit?

Also, is there another music player you can use on the N8. I really dont like the systems music player. I saw Instinctiv which looks really cool but is meamo only. It might work now with the Ovi Store update above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭cena

anyone able too make video calls off the phone. it comes up that its not supported on the network

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

cena wrote: »
    anyone able too make video calls off the phone. it comes up that its not supported on the network

hi cena,are you on 02?they dont surport video calls:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭cena

deco nate wrote: »
    hi cena,are you on 02?they dont surport video calls:o

no with vodafone. why sell a phone that makes video calls and you can't use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭preacherman

Hi folks,

I am interested in the N8 but reviews are mixed. Seeing as you are all owners and users of this phone I would be interested to know ...

1. If you lost your current N8 would you buy another one ?
    2. If not which phone would you buy ?

Thanks in advance

Andrew

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭mrs aol

If I lost mine I would buy another one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

1. Definitely yes, I'd buy the N8 again.
    Hi folks,

I am interested in the N8 but reviews are mixed. Seeing as you are all owners and users of this phone I would be interested to know ...

Thanks in advance

Andrew

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭jimmy_t

had it since early november and yes without a doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

Hi folks,

Thanks in advance

Andrew

I don't think I'd buy another one, the storage facility is great I have 48 gb with a microSDHC card and the camera is so good it saves me buying a separate one but as a phone it sucks. Constantly freezes, difficulty doing anything that involves connecting to a network, updates never seem to work, serious screen rotation issues, I could go on. Maybe some kind of software update will fix some of this but it's really wrecking my head at the moment, it feels like a product that was released without proper testing.

I should also point out that I've only used Nokia phones in the past so I'm well used to the menus and all that. I'll stick with it for the time being as I use it as my mp3 player (although the music player is really annoying) but I really hope there's some update or something that fixes all the bugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

I'd buy again... but I'd get an orange one ;)

rickyjb wrote: »
    I don't think I'd buy another one, the storage facility is great I have 48 gb with a microSDHC card and the camera is so good it saves me buying a separate one but as a phone it sucks. Constantly freezes, difficulty doing anything that involves connecting to a network, updates never seem to work, serious screen rotation issues, I could go on. Maybe some kind of software update will fix some of this but it's really wrecking my head at the moment, it feels like a product that was released without proper testing.

I should also point out that I've only used Nokia phones in the past so I'm well used to the menus and all that. I'll stick with it for the time being as I use it as my mp3 player (although the music player is really annoying) but I really hope there's some update or something that fixes all the bugs.

Can anyone recommend, or is there, a downloadable music player to use instead of the stock nokia one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

Can anyone recommend, or is there, a downloadable music player to use instead of the stock nokia one?

the default is great really... you could try TTPod tho, chinese but i liked it
    alternitives are in short supply.. it is Symbain!

Cheer shadowninty. Can it be set to English? Yea, Im hoping instinctiv gets nokia N8'd at some stage.

From my understanding the latest firmware update allows QT isntallation, as in instinctiv for nokia N900, but I could be way wrong on this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

Hi folks,

Thanks in advance

Andrew

yes I would, still have my trusty N95 but really coming to love the N8, camera is amazing very handy if you have children or love taking snaps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

looks like the new firmware update has not resolved the social app problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Love the N8 so far, no freezes, no bugs, camera great, socially is ok.
    MMS great, sms working well, phones calls are the best i have heard in a while, beating IP4, LG Optimus HTC's and plam pre plus.

Email handling could have done with a GUI overhaul. but it handles html email well. anybody got tips on another client?

I got my google contacts/calendar and email set up - bit messy -Nokia could learn from Android on contact merges with facebook etc...

forgot to add, camera is fantastic, HD recording also brilliant, FM transmitter is just cool as is the internet radio app, just wish i could edit the station list?
    anybody manage to do that yet?

Would buy another no problem

You must be joking, the max volume is way too low even with decent headphones, you can't browse by Artist(:confused:) and unless there's no folder browser so unless everything is perfectly set up with ID3 tags you can't even find most of your music. Unless you go to file manager which will open it with the music player but only play one song at a time. "Great" it is not.
    BrookieD wrote: »
    Love the N8 so far, no freezes, no bugs, camera great, socially is ok.
    MMS great, sms working well, phones calls are the best i have heard in a while, beating IP4, LG Optimus HTC's and plam pre plus.

Email handling could have done with a GUI overhaul. but it handles html email well. anybody got tips on another client?

I got my google contacts/calendar and email set up - bit messy -Nokia could learn from Android on contact merges with facebook etc...

forgot to add, camera is fantastic, HD recording also brilliant, FM transmitter is just cool as is the internet radio app, just wish i could edit the station list?
    anybody manage to do that yet?

Would buy another no problem

How did you manage to download it, I've tried 3 times and it still doesn't show up in applications or anywhere else I can find.

Also how do you get the latest firmware update, when I go to update it either tells me there are none available or tries for ages then times out.

Cheer shadowninty. Can it be set to English? Yea, Im hoping instinctiv gets nokia N8'd at some stage.

From my understanding the latest firmware update allows QT isntallation, as in instinctiv for nokia N900, but I could be way wrong on this

i have been able to install QT apps on my old 5530 for 8 months.
    same for N8

i have been able to install QT apps on my old 5530 for 8 months.
    same for N8

Deadly, how do you get around the incompatible resolutions?

Both 5530 and N8 use a 360x640 pixel display.

Deadly, how do you get around the incompatible resolutions?
    All S60V5.x phones so far use 360x640 resolution

Saw the response but I don't think I have Big Screen installed, not even sure what it is.

I don't have a music folder?? My music player is in the main menu and the radio is in applications.

I thought I had seen people posting on here saying that they had downloaded an update? Maybe not. The sooner the better anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭stonybroke

Will N8 users get any more frmware updates now that Nokia are dumping symbian for windows?

• Advertisement

I would expect so. According to today's presentation, Symbian will continue to be shipped in new products for a while. S^3 itself has a couple of years' life in it, so any updates will be reused.

I think the big message today is that WinPhone7 is now going to fill the role originally planned for MeeGo.

Advertisement