Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N8 Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Kanedmick

Upgraded to 1.1 last night.

What differences should I be able to see?

Nothing immediately apparent tbh.
    Does seem a little quicker and Quick Office has a decent "browse files" tab.

By the way -can anyone explain why the Pumps.ie app shows that it was updated 15 days ago. Is that for real? What is the point if it's not updated? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

This post has been deleted.

keeps telling me to unistall and re-install communities, even after the update for the app itself and the latest firmware update

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

@vasch_ro > are you on O2, by any chance?

My wife's N8 does the same thing, despite multiple re-installs.

Grab the new Socially -it's pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Kanedmick wrote: »
    Upgraded to 1.1 last night.

What differences should I be able to see?

Upgrades and additions:

* Social 1.2 - photo and video upload improvements
    * Ovi Store 2.0 preloaded - direct access, no launcher anymore
    * New Ovi Maps data (#25) - bringing new navigable countries, though note that this is still v3.4. If you want multi-touch and wi-fi country preloading, then head to Nokia Beta Labs for v1.6
    * Quickoffice 6.4.166, with free editing licence on the N8, and improved zooming functions, Adobe Reader updated to 2.5.653
    * Web updated to 7.2.8.10, minor fixes
    * Big update to Nokia Email; performance improved; more visible 'unread emails' flag added to homescreen widget; meeting requests can be accepted directly from email invitations; maps integration, which means people can view the meeting location on the map when the address is mentioned in the location field in the invite
    * Multiple general performance improvements
    * Dialler now works in landscape mode
    * Landscape qwerty layout altered to promote '@' character in many language versions (some other character placements have been juggled)
    * You can now 'Change wallpaper' directly from the 'Options' on the homescreen(s), rather than having to go via 'Edit homescreen'
    * Enhanced music player screensaver (shows track name and bar in cycled colours)

Fixes:

* Charging indicator keeps going up when you disconnect charger under some circumstances
    * Battery indicator algorithm tweaked to be more linear (i.e. the old 'six bars and then it dies ten minutes later' syndrome is hopefully banished)
    * Problem with video streaming from web sites
    * Smoother video camera zooming (remember there's intelligent interpolation as well, so this isn't a gimmick)
    * SMS message stuck in outbox
    * MMS messages fail to send and get stuck in outbox
    * Device does not restore all settings after retuning from power saving mode
    * Screen image sometimes corrupted when you scroll up/down in Quickoffice
    * Minor N8 charging issues
    * Music player and Photos issues
    * Set "save sent messages" as 'No', but actually they still get saved.
    * Breathing light now optimised to 'breathe' only when screensaver is set to none or the phone is in powersaver mode
    * Animated screensaver option removed
    * Charging indicator erroneous when charging with power off
    * Web browser crashes when encoding is set to "Thai (TIS-620)"
    * Problem with National Geographic 'web TV'
    * Phone freezes when you insert the letter É inside a Social network
    * All Widgets disappear after updating Social network and you set "Thai" UI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭cena

how do i get the dab radio too work.

• Advertisement

cena wrote: »
    how do i get the dab radio too work.

Do you mean the internet radio, or dab using the headset which needs to be bought separate:> http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/accessories/all-accessories/headsets/wired-headsets/nokia-digital-radio-headset-dab

Davy wrote: »
    Do you mean the internet radio, or dab using the headset which needs to be bought separate:> http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/accessories/all-accessories/headsets/wired-headsets/nokia-digital-radio-headset-dab

it came as part of the update i did today

it came as part of the update i did today

You need to purchase the accessory if you want the digital radio, otherwise just use the fm thats built in already or use the internet radio app

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

got the link today on the phone. anyone try it yet. whats the internet radio. got any link too it

• Advertisement

got the link today on the phone. anyone try it yet. whats the internet radio. got any link too it

Link is here:> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70502730&postcount=31
    Its a great app

You should have a look at this thread, its for all apps and games for S^3 = http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056156744

'Noka big screen' What is this. its in the link. do you get stations from the states etc

'Noka big screen' What is this. its in the link. do you get stations from the states etc

Nokia big screen is an app for using your tv as a display instead of the handset. It doesnt come installed, so if you didnt install it you can install the internet radio app straight away. The stations are a collection of a few thousand from all around the world, 59 of which are from Ireland

Davy wrote: »
    Nokia big screen is an app for using your tv as a display instead of the handset. It doesnt come installed, so if you didnt install it you can install the internet radio app straight away. The stations are a collection of a few thousand from all around the world, 59 of which are from Ireland

is that watching the phone throughthe t.v.

do you need the wireless too listen all the time

is that watching the phone throughthe t.v.

do you need the wireless too listen all the time

Yes, that how it works, just connect the hdmi adapter and cable into the phone

You can listen to the internet radio via data connection 3G or using wifi

I would be looking at a new battery

Could be exploding batteries round 2 for nokia :pac:

vasch_ro wrote: »
    keeps telling me to unistall and re-install communities, even after the update for the app itself and the latest firmware update

Go to settings > application manager > installed apps > Social and remove it. Their might also be a 'social installer' under it, remove this also. Now reboot the phone. Then try Menu > applications > SW update, and the 'socal' app should appear as an update. If it doesnt, try using ovi suite on the pc. Connect via usb and the top right button on the program for 'updates' will search and should give you the option to install social 1.2. Let me know how you get on. I have done this on the N8 which wouldn't open social, and is now perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭StaunchyDJ

New N8, got tired of the Wave, only for the screen it turns out pretty poor TBH, so see how this bad boy goes :rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭rower2K8

can anyone help me my nokia n8 has forzen and i cant turn it off or anything is there anything i can try to fix this..? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Hi all,
    Im thinking of getting the n8 on three they want 450e for a payg yet VF are doing it for 389e,I am with three on a contract and have used my up grade all ready for the iphone 4.
    If I was to buy one on another network is it possible to get it un locked?

rower2K8 wrote: »
    can anyone help me my nokia n8 has forzen and i cant turn it off or anything is there anything i can try to fix this..? Thanks

Hold the power key for eight seconds. The phone will vibrate three times.

Then turn it on as normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

Hi all,
    Im thinking of getting the n8 on three they want 450e for a payg yet VF are doing it for 389e,I am with three on a contract and have used my up grade all ready for the iphone 4.
    If I was to buy one on another network is it possible to get it un locked?
    word of warning... id worry bout the updates too now the Symbain staff know they are to be made redundant

nokiawebcast-4.pdf-page-30-of-38.jpg
    nokiawebcast-4.pdf-page-32-of-38.jpg

Well, Symbian was already facing this prospect, except the dark blue area on the graph used to be labelled "MeeGo".

As you know, the indicated timeline for that graph is around three to four years. Right now, there's work in train that would be pointless to cancel - the development cost is sunk already, and the platform needs to retain customers for Nokia until WP7 devices can come to the middle of the model range.

Once those projects finish, I wouldn't expect any new ones to be undertaken, and the platform will go into maintenance and hardware-support work only.

You'll still see PR2.0 come out, wouldn't expect 3.0, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

Looks like the end of the road for Symbian. Nokia are joining forces with Microsoft and will see Nokia adopt the Windows Phone 7 operating system.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/feb/11/nokia-microsoft-deal-risks

**" It means that by mid-2012 Nokia will phase out the Symbian OS"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Two days old news! Threads about in the forum already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I know freezing was mentioned earlier in this thread, but I'm in a rush. Mine just froze on the Clock screen. Won't power off. Don't know what to do.
    HELP!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

I know freezing was mentioned earlier in this thread, but I'm in a rush. Mine just froze on the Clock screen. Won't power off. Don't know what to do.
    HELP!!!

Press and hold the power button for about 15sec and it should shut down.

Advertisement