Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N8 Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Press and hold the power button for about 15sec and it should shut down.
    Tried that already. No joy. Using old N78 at the minute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

Kanedmick wrote: »
    Upgraded to 1.1 last night.

What differences should I be able to see?

Nothing immediately apparent tbh.
    Does seem a little quicker and Quick Office has a decent "browse files" tab.

By the way -can anyone explain why the Pumps.ie app shows that it was updated 15 days ago. Is that for real? What is the point if it's not updated? :mad:

How do you update? I still have PR1.0 and when I go into update settings it says latest update -> not installed but when I check for updates it tells me there are none available, any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

use ovi suite on pc. connect phone wait till connected then check for updates. it might update ovi suite also.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

If you've tried the power button method, then there is another way of doing it....
    Remove the 2 screws on either side of the phone. Carefully remove the black plastic clip (it only comes off 1 way) and slip out the battery. Wait 10 sec, reassemble and start your phone as normal.

Have a look at this link: http://webtrickz.com/how-to-remove-nokia-n8-battery-video/
    Excellent step-by-step tutorial.

I did it on mine - took me all of 5 minutes - and I was extra careful.

Remember - Nokia does not want you to remove the battery and there might be warranty issues, so this is at your own risk (which is zero, unless you break a part or do some thing dumb).

OR...
    Take it to a repair centre.
    Tried that already. No joy. Using old N78 at the minute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Press and hold the power button for about 15sec and it should shut down.

Only needs to be 7.5 seconds, this should do it.

• Advertisement

Tried pressing power button again and it worked, thank God.
    Did all the updates including ovi maps, but I don't know if theres any connection.
    Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

Davy wrote: »
    Go to settings > application manager > installed apps > Social and remove it. Their might also be a 'social installer' under it, remove this also. Now reboot the phone. Then try Menu > applications > SW update, and the 'socal' app should appear as an update. If it doesnt, try using ovi suite on the pc. Connect via usb and the top right button on the program for 'updates' will search and should give you the option to install social 1.2. Let me know how you get on. I have done this on the N8 which wouldn't open social, and is now perfectly.

no joy with either option !!!! Just noticed a social share install file so have removed that now as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

vasch_ro wrote: »
    no joy with either option !!!! Just noticed a social share install file so have removed that now as well

No joy as in the app didnt appear to reinstall or what error did you get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

So I'll be using my N8 in the UK over the weekend, what do I need to do to make sure I don't accidentally use any data while I'm there?

It's about a tenner a mb on meteor so I'm actually fairly worried about this. Maybe just don't turn my phone on at all??

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

go into connectivity, settings and change data home and abroad settings to wlan only. Also in your home screen, go to options and select widgets to off line. You may need to go into your email settings also and cancel automatic retrieval. Don't think there's anything else. There might be though depending on what apps you've got installed. Actually if you're using maps make sure you're not connected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

Davy wrote: »
    No joy as in the app didnt appear to reinstall or what error did you get?

No joy as in I got the same error that is pictured in my earlier post, I uninstalled the app, turned off the phone and reinstalled thru OVI suite and also over the air and no luck still get the same error...
    appreciate the help so far by the way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Message tone problem is currently happening to me, just looked at my phone and had 3 messages...quite annoying!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

if your using browser much clear the cache and delete sent folders

it will clear your RAM its common with all Nokias having No tone clearing the cache and all messages should work or a factory reset at worst you would need hard reset using C7 myself

the name is a random thing it sometimes comes up its not like s40 where it was standard i think Nokia need to start waking up and tell Microsoft to fcuk off and serve its loyal customers try a factory reset

• Advertisement

i updated yesterday some changes reported like mail notification via breathing light removed and the sooner option for retrieving mail is gone,5 mins is best however this seems to differ must be region code i had my mail set to soonest now i have to keep waiting 5 mins i updated my C6-01 and No changes so its rather strange both my phones are factory unlocked regarding the mail i think its yahoo itself so i may change to gmail mixed reports on whats best i just want my mail on time now i cant do that on my C7 but i can on C6-01 but having said that it can still be very slow on getting my mail with Nokia messaging

i just use the standard Nokia mail app yeah,i have not seen much change since update apart from the mail settings and notification light it just seems odd why it affected one and not the other they are both symbian3 as your well aware of Nokia need to sort out Nokia messaging quickly i heard if you dont accept terms and conditions it works better never tried it so i cant make judgement whats the email thing you suggested about i did hear about it once or twice never looked into it but would the settings restrict this on getting your mail on time?

will look into that tomor workin from my phone now just had quick look a few people concerned about privacy but Nokia have it so it should be cool fed up waitin for mail especially when in conversation like now will certainly give it a try you should check out Nokia discussions on the update plenty of info there but its to early to say if its gone or bad as not everybody has the chance to update yet so give it some time when there is a wider spectrum of feedback check out jimmy Ireland on homepage

just a new thing i noticed the deleted mail folder is now gone so that is 3 changes in mail alone not good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Been going on for around 3 weeks....even before I updated to PR 1.1! Yeah it's an N8 I have!

Clear my cache memory nearly daily and had deleted all messages this morning so don't think there the cause!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭oldhead

Boxfresh wrote: »
    Me too, I always had a Nokia and the N97 put me right off. Bought a HTC HD2 and it's by far the best phone I have ever used.

Boxfresh just wondering how you are getting on with your HTC HD2. i due an upgrade. was always a nokia man. thinking bout iphone but am unsure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

jimmynokia wrote: »
    i just use the standard Nokia mail app yeah,i have not seen much change since update apart from the mail settings and notification light it just seems odd why it affected one and not the other they are both symbian3 as your well aware of Nokia need to sort out Nokia messaging quickly i heard if you dont accept terms and conditions it works better never tried it so i cant make judgement whats the email thing you suggested about i did hear about it once or twice never looked into it but would the settings restrict this on getting your mail on time?

Jimmy, you clearly know your Nokias and I'm sure we all enjoy reading your posts ... but you've got to give your readers some sugar from the punctuation point of view.

We're not asking for much - full stops will do if at all possible.

I thank you.

• Advertisement

Just wanted to know if anyone had a similar issue to mine.
    Since updating the phone and Ovi maps and phone has been freezing a lot and will not engage wifi without restarting the phone which results in the homescreens resetting.
    Its getting really frustrating. Anyone got any fixes for this?

Advertisement