Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N8 Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭kirving

Hi Eddie,

The exact same thing happened to me, and re-installing the Firmware through OVI Suite Sorted it out.

I think it was a bug caused by some program I installed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

dont try the full reset do the 7370 one first
    dont forget to back up though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭jm99

I'm thinking of changing from my E72 to a N8. I'm just wondering does any one use a screen protector and does it effect how the touchsceen works. Never had a touchscreen before and my job can be quite dirty and dusty and I'd need to use one!
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

jm99 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of changing from my E72 to a N8. I'm just wondering does any one use a screen protector and does it effect how the touchsceen works. Never had a touchscreen before and my job can be quite dirty and dusty and I'd need to use one!
    Thanks

I haven't had put a screen protector on mine, it doesn't really need one has the gorilla glass is very tough. Just get a sort of case, either a silicone one, or a slip on case.

You wont find it hard to go from the E72, but you will find it hard to go back to the small qwerty buttons the E72 has :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

a friend of mine has one. It doesn't cover the screen, just everywhere else. It's tidy, non slip and does the job. Not sure if it's really necessary though. It's a very solidly built phone. Saw a Russian video testing it's durability earlier and it faired quite well. It is slippy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

jm99 wrote: »
    Thanks

Here's what I use, good quality and works well.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BLACK-SILICONE-CASE-COVER-SCREEN-PROTECTOR-NOKIA-N8-/180628202983?pt=UK_MobilePhones_MobilePhonesCasesPouches&hash=item2a0e47a5e7

Wish I could say the same about the phone.

Android is the way to go, even Nokia have given up on Symbian.

My wife has a Samsung Galaxy S and my son has a HTC desire and I would willingly swap for either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

wilson10 wrote: »
    Here's what I use, good quality and works well.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BLACK-SILICONE-CASE-COVER-SCREEN-PROTECTOR-NOKIA-N8-/180628202983?pt=UK_MobilePhones_MobilePhonesCasesPouches&hash=item2a0e47a5e7

Wish I could say the same about the phone.

Android is the way to go, even Nokia have given up on Symbian.

My wife has a Samsung Galaxy S and my son has a HTC desire and I would willingly swap for either.
    Technically thats an untrue statement as Nokia haven't dropped Symbian completely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

kmart6 wrote: »
    Technically thats an untrue statement as Nokia haven't dropped Symbian completely!

he said gave up
    they knew they could never fix it in time, look how little it has progressed in 4 years

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

kmart6 wrote: »

I didn't say they'd dropped it but can I say they've given up on the development of Symbian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

Development of Symbian is continuing, with two major releases on Symbian 3 this year. This is not my speculation; this was directly stated by their VP of smartphones, the day after the MS/Nokia announcement.

On the N8, the next update will provide a vastly improved web experience, with a new web browser, and about 50 other feature improvements. Following this, the whole UI is getting a rework in the Summer.

Here's the slide they put up:

s3_new_ui_130211.jpg

The pic doesn't reveal much, but it does show that the new look and feel will be very different to the current Series60-esque one, which to me is the N8's biggest liability - it doesn't suck like S60/5th, but it sure looks like it.

Nokia need to keep their products competitive until they can use WinPhone everywhere that they currently use Symbian. Or not... I wouldn't be surprised to see a refreshed Symbian with its new UI sell quite well, to the point that Nokia keep pushing out the final phase-out date.

From my own use of QtQuick/QML, I'm still amazed at how fast you can bring up a slick, fast, high-quality User Interface. Replacing most of the current phone's UI by Summer would not be an impossible task at all...

they wouldve been better lying to the employees
    now they know they will lose their jobs they will just give up

now they know they will lose their jobs they will just give up
    You've never been a contractor, I guess.

KrisW wrote: »
    You've never been a contractor, I guess.
    what is your point?
    i feel sorry for them, who will hire them with that on their CV... :S

My point was that knowing you're going to lose your job doesn't mean that you're not going to take pride in your work. I know people who put long hours into finishing projects for employers who were letting them go. Why? Because it was a matter of personal pride to get the work done. For a contractor, you never have job security, yet you get the job done.

On the other hand, I also knew clockwatchers who happily ticked down their notice, but trust me: they were like that when they didn't know they were getting the boot.

And what's so bad on those CVs? Enough C++ expertise to do something useful with what's acknowledged to be the most ornery API in general use? Add a year or so to find a followup job, and a fairly generous severence/redundancy, and life could be worse.

• Company Representative Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭Adverts.ie: Eddie

Hi Eddie,

The exact same thing happened to me, and re-installing the Firmware through OVI Suite Sorted it out.

I think it was a bug caused by some program I installed.
    jimmynokia wrote: »
    dont try the full reset do the 7370 one first
    dont forget to back up though
    Thanks guys. It appears as if my software is all up to date here. Jimmy, I have backed up but what do you mean by 7370? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Thanks for that. :) So, if I do that reset, I can then restore the back up I did earlier. Will this not restore the same issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

hi all, got my N* a few weeks ago, very nice and really liking it so far, One issue i had, The MfE was fine until i reset my password now it will not sign in and give constant update issues,

I have removed the account and added again but no joy.... any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

What is YOUR point?
    Firstly you don't know that they're going to be canned - they could be redeployed. Even if they were canned, why would having symbian programmer employed by Nokia, on your CV spoil your chances of getting employment elsewhere?

While it's true that your skills are the big factor, in many many cases people are hired based on their adaptability / skills transfer and also on their learning potential (aka retraining). How do I know this? A couple of decades of hiring and managing people in large organisations.
    A CV doesn't impress me at all. When I interview a candidate, I want to know what he can REALLY do (not the crap on his CV), how adaptable he is, how much he knows about the job (ie did he take the time to do some research) and what is his attitude.

Evidently you've never lived in the real world.
    Go away little troll.... and grow up.

what is your point?
    i feel sorry for them, who will hire them with that on their CV... :S

• Advertisement

Got my issue sorted now by reinstalling the software. :)

BrookieD, I would offer some help to you but as you can see, I'm totally useless with this stuff. :D

I was making a point, and now you attack me without evidence
    updates have been painfully slow so far... telling workers their jobs wont be there next year will make them work harder

Finland has been shedding these kind of jobs for a while, and having worked on Symbian for Nokia isn't gonna help you out

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

Attack you without evidence?
    What are you on about?

I simply responded to what actually occurs in real life. Your post was plain supposition. The fact that Finland has been shedding these jobs for years does not mean that these people will never work again just because they are ex-Nokia Symbian programmers (which is what your post implied).

If my response was a bit sharp, maybe it was also due to the fact that you seem to pop into this forum regularly, pontificate on some anti-nokia / anti symbian crap and then move off again - just like a troll.

I think we all get the message that you don't like either Nokia or Symbian, and you are perfectly entitled to this opinion. However, some of us do like Nokia products or, at least, don't have such a deep rooted animosity towards them.
    I was making a point, and now you attack me without evidence
    updates have been painfully slow so far... telling workers their jobs wont be there next year will make them work harder

Finland has been shedding these kind of jobs for a while, and having worked on Symbian for Nokia isn't gonna help you out

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

Hi folks,

I'm a bit late to the game, but I just got myself an N8 last week.

So far, it's an absolutely awesome phone, except, the vibration settings are horriffically weedy!

I've taken a quick search here, but couldn't see any fix.

Anyone know how to beef it up a bit?

(This is exactly what I'm talking about!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Hi folks,

I'm a bit late to the game, but I just got myself an N8 last week.

So far, it's an absolutely awesome phone, except, the vibration settings are horriffically weedy!

I've taken a quick search here, but couldn't see any fix.

Anyone know how to beef it up a bit?

(This is exactly what I'm talking about!)

goto settings,profile..select profile...personalise
    scroll down and you will see it near the bottom

anyone installed the n desk app which enables you to use ios style system on n8 if you're into that sort of thing. which i'm not, obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

when i hook up my N8 to my laptop it gives me 3 options of memory to look in mass,card and another one which escapes my mind at the min. Is it possible to change this so it gives me the option to install photos direct to my laptop and how does one do it??? :confused::confused::confused:

when connected, from home screen, tap battery icon then select connectivity, usb then choice of what format you require.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

Does anyone else have a problem with the phone not saving your call log (dialled numbers, missed calls etc.) for more than 1-2 days??

And before anyone mentions I definitely have the option set to store for the longest time possible, think it was 30 days.

• Advertisement

JonnyM wrote: »
    when i hook up my N8 to my laptop it gives me 3 options of memory to look in mass,card and another one which escapes my mind at the min. Is it possible to change this so it gives me the option to install photos direct to my laptop and how does one do it??? :confused::confused::confused:

Your phone can behave in a few different way for USB (Settings > Connectivity > USB ). These are as follows:

Ovi Suite: Phone expects to talk to an installed copy of Nokia's Ovi Suite software on the PC.
    Mass Storage: Phone pretends to be a USB mass storage device (like a big expensive USB key and card-reader :) )
    Media Sync: Phone will pretend to be a music player, for the benefit of Microsoft-compatible music software.
    Connect PC to Internet: a.k.a. "Tethering", the Phone pretends to be an ethernet adapter, and shares its data connection with the PC.

To do what you want, you need to choose "Mass Storage" mode.

Now, when you plug in the phone, you'll see some new "disks" appear. One of these is the inbuilt flash storage where your photos and media are usually kept. From the phone, this one is called "Drive E:, Mass Memory". There will be folders named "Images", "Music", "Videos" on this one. Your photos will be in "Images/Camera", you can just copy them from there directly.

If you have a MicroSD card that you've inserted into the phone, this will also be listed on your PC. On the phone's side, this one is called "Drive F:, Memory Card". Obviously, if you've no MicroSD card inserted in the phone, this won't show up on your PC.

It's also possible you're also seeing the phone's own private storage (called "Drive C:, Phone Memory" on the phone). This is where the applications keep their settings, so you should avoid filling it with music files.

Advertisement