Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N8 Megathread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭jm99

my o

my n8 wont send my e-mails. there just in the outbox but wont send. i cant open them, cancel them or get them to send. any ideas. there not big, just a couple of paragraphs. if i was sure they wouldnt send i'd just send them again from my laptop. any ideas? thanks

jm99 wrote: »
    my n8 wont send my e-mails. there just in the outbox but wont send. i cant open them, cancel them or get them to send. any ideas. there not big, just a couple of paragraphs. if i was sure they wouldnt send i'd just send them again from my laptop. any ideas? thanks
    <br />
    <br />
    sorry i,m bad, have it sorted. trying half the day. just keep finger pressed on email and then activate follow up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭cena

Anyone make video calls yet. mine says its not supported by network (vodafone). Any reason way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭mollser

Well this phone just got a whole heap better in my eyes - I installed Nokia Big Screen on it and all I can say is, well WOW! Paired up with the Wii remote control it works so well, the video quality is terrific on a HD tele, user interface is rather like Apple TV, incredibly smooth.

If they can just integrate a web browser into this it could easily be an alternative to a media box I was thinking of geting (lacking the storage obviously, but as a portable media player).

Highly recommend to all.

Quick q: Does any other phone offer something as cool as this? If not, they should be flaunting this aspect of the phone with no shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

mollser wrote: »
    Well this phone just got a whole heap better in my eyes - I installed Nokia Big Screen on it and all I can say is, well WOW! Paired up with the Wii remote control it works so well, the video quality is terrific on a HD tele, user interface is rather like Apple TV, incredibly smooth.

If they can just integrate a web browser into this it could easily be an alternative to a media box I was thinking of geting (lacking the storage obviously, but as a portable media player).

Highly recommend to all.

Quick q: Does any other phone offer something as cool as this? If not, they should be flaunting this aspect of the phone with no shame.

I'm confused, doesn't the HDMI cable allow you to view whatever you like from your phone as in it just sends the screen directly? So what does this app do that you can't do without it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭g0g

rickyjb wrote: »
    I'm confused, doesn't the HDMI cable allow you to view whatever you like from your phone as in it just sends the screen directly? So what does this app do that you can't do without it?
    Just makes it all look a bit fancier - it's a "nice" interface for playing music / videos / photos. Not sure if the Wiimote pairing works without that software too?

You're right, you can do it direct from the phone. But the app provides a really good user interface to browse your media and ability to use a wii controller as a remote control. It makes it all look very very slick.

Funny cos UI is the one big thing that Nokia get so much stick over, but they have this particular app bang on

You're right, you can do it direct from the phone. But the app provides a really good user interface to browse your media and ability to use a wii controller as a remote control. It makes it all look very very slick.

Funny cos UI is the one big thing that Nokia get so much stick over, but they have this particular app bang on

If the wiimote is a bluetooth device you should be able to pair it anyway.

And if the interface this app provides is better than the default ones why didn't they use this interface for the whole phone?!! There are already music/picture/video browsers on the phone, why would they give you an alternative interface depending on where the screen is being projected to?

I recently plugged my phone into a TV with the HDMI cable and was pleasantly surprised that it worked the same way as plugging my laptop in does, it's one of the best things about the phone.

I'm sure it's a nice app to use but the logic behind it's creation still defeats me. I'm gona have to try it out for myself I think:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mrphantuan

The way that the whole OVI thing is moving is obviously an attempt to do this but it just isn't seamless enough yet. The mail service is buggy and slow, the store is brutal, the music service is pretty meh and maps, while good, isn't available across the board yet.

They seem to be stalling for the universal move to QT so that they can develop one basic application for the various platforms they have. Their development teams seem to be far too stretched at the moment and they are letting the ball drop far too often.

• Advertisement

mrphantuan wrote: »
    The way that the whole OVI thing is moving is obviously an attempt to do this but it just isn't seamless enough yet. The mail service is buggy and slow, the store is brutal, the music service is pretty meh and maps, while good, isn't available across the board yet.

They seem to be stalling for the universal move to QT so that they can develop one basic application for the various platforms they have. Their development teams seem to be far too stretched at the moment and they are letting the ball drop far too often.

A decent email app and music player should be the very first things to get right on a phone like this advertising great connectivity/storage etc. but they've failed pretty badly on both counts and don't seem to be doing much to rectify the situation. Given the hardware behind this phone it's a real pity they didn't develop and test the software properly, I'm so sick of inconsistent programs and random crashes/freezes. Simple things like the alarm clock or just turning the screen don't work which really spoils some of the better features such as the HDMI connectivity (as mentioned above).

Initially I was telling myself that it would all be fixed with some magical update but I think I've lost faith in that now. Hey I can't even download the new PR update so it wouldn't be much good to me anyway!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

you could just flash it unofficially.. not hard

If the wiimote is a bluetooth device you should be able to pair it anyway.

And if the interface this app provides is better than the default ones why didn't they use this interface for the whole phone?!! There are already music/picture/video browsers on the phone, why would they give you an alternative interface depending on where the screen is being projected to?

I recently plugged my phone into a TV with the HDMI cable and was pleasantly surprised that it worked the same way as plugging my laptop in does, it's one of the best things about the phone.

I'm sure it's a nice app to use but the logic behind it's creation still defeats me. I'm gona have to try it out for myself I think:)

You should try it out for yourself - i guess the interface is designed to look well on a big screen rather than a 3" screen. Go on, give it a go, you should be pleasantly surprised! Its the kind of gimmick that the apple fanboys would wet themselves over IF an iphone could do it:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

I was using Big Screen at the weekend, very very good, the quality of the hdmi output on my 42in samsung was amazing, if you can pair wiimote to the device can you get a games emulator and play a few old skool games via the hdmi out on this???

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

You should try it out for yourself - i guess the interface is designed to look well on a big screen rather than a 3" screen. Go on, give it a go, you should be pleasantly surprised! Its the kind of gimmick that the apple fanboys would wet themselves over IF an iphone could do it:p
    Steve jobs' successor will probably 'invent' it for apple in about 3 years!

Ok, you've convinced me I'll give it a go:) It'll be next week before I get a chance though...

The Internet radio app is so great. Plenty too choose from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭g0g

Please excuse if this is a blonde question!

I've left the original screen protector on my phone. Am I right in saying it'll only recognise touch by a human finger? If I ever try using the phone with a glove or with a stylus thingy I got on dealextreme or anything I can find around the table to poke it with at the moment it won't work!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

it will still work with a glove or stylus yes

g0g wrote: »
    Please excuse if this is a blonde question!

I've left the original screen protector on my phone. Am I right in saying it'll only recognise touch by a human finger? If I ever try using the phone with a glove or with a stylus thingy I got on dealextreme or anything I can find around the table to poke it with at the moment it won't work!?

I'v tried a stylus from the ds and it didn't work. no you won't get it working wearing gloves. it seems too be only finger touching that it well work.

also o2 are selling a cover for the phone now 20 euro. i still have the screen protector on that came with the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

I bought a stylus and a set of 6 screen protectors from fleabay - works perfectly.
    maybe its the type of stylus? You need a stylus that works on a capacitance screen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭996tt

Anyone having a problem with email sync? My email shows old messages as unread even though they are actually read(I would have read them via my computer), this is happening both my gmail & hotmail, so basically each day my unread count is increasing unless I have to read them a second time on my phone.

I noticed this problem after I updated my software and installed new apps on the same day so I think that it could be releated one of these as my sync was workng fine before this

I did a google and found some mention of this problem but unfortunately no solution.

996tt wrote: »
    Anyone having a problem with email sync? My email shows old messages as unread even though they are actually read(I would have read them via my computer), this is happening both my gmail & hotmail, so basically each day my unread count is increasing unless I have to read them a second time on my phone.

I noticed this problem after I updated my software and installed new apps on the same day so I think that it could be releated one of these as my sync was workng fine before this

I did a google and found some mention of this problem but unfortunately no solution.

The email app has always been like this, it's never worked properly. After a few days it will eventually cop on that you've read them so the unread number won't keep increasing, it'll just always be higher than it should be.

Here's something that's been annoying me that maybe someone here can help me with; I downloaded the notifications app, the one which is a separate widget and stops you getting alerts when you have a new message or a missed call. I think it's useless and I really want to uninstall it but I can't!! Does anyone know how to uninstall it? It's not showing up in my list of applications where I normally go to uninstall stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Go into Settings and then Application Manager, Installed Apps, choose the app and press on it to delete

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

The email app has always been like this, it's never worked properly. After a few days it will eventually cop on that you've read them so the unread number won't keep increasing, it'll just always be higher than it should be.

Here's something that's been annoying me that maybe someone here can help me with; I downloaded the notifications app, the one which is a separate widget and stops you getting alerts when you have a new message or a missed call. I think it's useless and I really want to uninstall it but I can't!! Does anyone know how to uninstall it? It's not showing up in my list of applications where I normally go to uninstall stuff.
    go to settings application manager installed apps, it should show up there where you can uninstall it.

My N8 keeps coming up as private number when i call anyone. I've tried changing from set by network and show id a few times but it didnt make a difference?

Think this started happening since i downloaded real golf 2011 a few days ago. Also the phone has started shutting open apps when i'm using them the odd time since then too. Should i just get rid of this app or any ideas???
    Thanks

dr ro wrote: »
    go to settings application manager installed apps, it should show up there where you can uninstall it.

Yes I know how to uninstall apps but my problem is that it doesn't show up there. Does anyone know what it shows up as when you go to this list? Nothing that's there at the moment seems likely to be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭jimmy_t

Has anone elses phone become more unstable recently? Any apps that you think might be a little troublesome that i could remove to try remedy the situation? I have prob c.50 apps installed.. from betalabs too so im thinking that could be it?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

jimmy_t wrote: »
    Has anone elses phone become more unstable recently? Any apps that you think might be a little troublesome that i could remove to try remedy the situation? I have prob c.50 apps installed.. from betalabs too so im thinking that could be it?

I updated the software on the phone last week and its been playing hell since. Keystrokes in both email and the messaging are taking 2 to 3 seconds to appear and it lost all my contacts when i upgraded the software.

Love the phone but this is really substandard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

This may be a very simplistic question.....but does anyone else have the problem of when sending e-mails, even though you put in the proper paragraphs it just comes out as one long paragraph that is pretty unreadable!?

Advertisement