Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N8 Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

kmart6 wrote: »
    This may be a very simplistic question.....but does anyone else have the problem of when sending e-mails, even though you put in the proper paragraphs it just comes out as one long paragraph that is pretty unreadable!?

Havent noticed it happening......:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

rickyjb wrote: »
    Yes I know how to uninstall apps but my problem is that it doesn't show up there. Does anyone know what it shows up as when you go to this list? Nothing that's there at the moment seems likely to be it.

Any luck? Browsing beta labs earlier and saw mention of a link to use if trying to uninstall apps downloaded from beta labs. Could be worth a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Davy wrote: »
    Havent noticed it happening......:confused:
    Happens to every e-mail I'd send!

I've even tried double spacing between paragraphs and it still comes out as one continuous sentence!!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

Doesn't happen here :confused:
    kmart6 wrote: »
    Happens to every e-mail I'd send!

I've even tried double spacing between paragraphs and it still comes out as one continuous sentence!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

dr ro wrote: »
    Any luck? Browsing beta labs earlier and saw mention of a link to use if trying to uninstall apps downloaded from beta labs. Could be worth a try.

I'm not even sure if it's a beta labs program, do Nokia make those? Thanks for the tip anyway, I'll try it later. I really want to get this stupid app off my phone!
    Has anyone else installed it??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 ncc1699

Can anyone tell me if you can change the display notification for a new text message ? Currently it just says "1 new message" but I want to be able to display the name of the person the text message came from, I can't find it in settings so it looks like I can't but here's hoping!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭jimmy_t

ncc1699 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if you can change the display notification for a new text message ? Currently it just says "1 new message" but I want to be able to display the name of the person the text message came from, I can't find it in settings so it looks like I can't but here's hoping!! :)

The Notifications widget will do that for you, name and the first few words of the msg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

is anyone else having trouble getting the gps to connect to the net? i can only do offline searches with it. i keep getting a "connection failed, please try again" message

is anyone else having trouble getting the gps to connect to the net? i can only do offline searches with it. i keep getting a "connection failed, please try again" message

What connection have you set it to connect too? You will find this in GPS > Spanner > internet > network destination.

Do you have problems connection to the internet normally? Is it the same connection you are using for gps?

What connection have you set it to connect too? You will find this in GPS > Spanner > internet > network destination.

Do you have problems connection to the internet normally? Is it the same connection you are using for gps?
    its set to internet, the web browser is set to the same, the browser can connect grand

• Advertisement

its set to internet, the web browser is set to the same, the browser can connect grand

What apn's have you got in internet, at settings > connectivity > settings > destinations > internet?

You could try changing in GPS to wap services. Also you do have it set to 'online' mode?

What apn's have you got in internet, at settings > connectivity > settings > destinations > internet?

You could try changing in GPS to wap services. Also you do have it set to 'online' mode?
    apn's are meteor wap and meteor data
    i have it set to online mode

apn's are meteor wap and meteor data
    i have it set to online mode

Last thing I can think of then, menu > settings > application settings > positioning > positioning methods. Make sure you have assisted and network based ticked.

Last thing I can think of then, menu > settings > application settings > positioning > positioning methods. Make sure you have assisted and network based ticked.
    all of the options there are ticked
    must be a firmware bug:(

jimmy_t wrote: »
    The Notifications widget will do that for you, name and the first few words of the msg.

Found it, Thanks Jimmy_t :D

all of the options there are ticked
    must be a firmware bug:(

My Ovi maps is the same, won't connect to the internet since the update

@ncc1699: careful with that notifications widget, I don't think there's any way to uninstall it!!:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

Got myself an N8 a week ago and I have to say I'm absolutely loving it - I really cannot think of any other phone I'd rather have right now as for my needs it's just perfect. I'm a longtime Symbian user so I can't really see what all the whinging about the UI is for too, seems pretty good to me.

Anyways, some nice little apps I've been using in case they haven't been listed yet.

Pocketlock - free and it's been great so far. It uses the light sensor to automatically lock your phone when you put it in your pocket. A quick flick of the finger over the sensor also unlocks at any time, and it's so much easier to unlock when it's in say a phone holder too. I just close it when playing Angry Birds or whatever as I tend to keep locking it by mistakek then !

AlternateReader - A .pdf reader that blows the Adobe Reader into the weeks afaic. Long press to get out of full-screen (that had me puzzled for a minute) and use a double tap or the volume keys to page up/down.

Geeky Avatar - Free but has ads unless you want to pay the euro or so (ok, I'm cheap!) The ads are infuratiating but I put up with them long enough to create a load of silly contact pictures.

Pano Wallpaper
    - Not bad but not as good as the wallpapers that SPB MobileShell gives, but that's the way Symbian works.

CameraPro - Costs a few euros and is in very early days yet but is very promising.

Dukto - Easy file transfer

Viewranger - Super gps/mapping app for hillwalking etc, but it does cost. Not really suited for car navigation.

A few other ones I use are Symtorrent, Keepassx, Astroller, Joikuspot and Layar.

Other than that I haven't done much yet except install QT 4.7.2 to see if the QT shopping list app worked (looked nice but wasn't working right for me), and get a cert and installed the camera mods and changed my bootup and shutdown animations and sounds.

The only annoyance I've had so far is album art, i.e. I copied on a pile of music only to notice that the genre was wrong on some albums. I fixed those but when I copied them back to the phone the covers for those albums no longer appears for some reason.

Mack, you could add them to this thread:> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056156744

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

nokia N8/C7 owners

something has arisen with these have a read of this thread to see if you have the issue with a purple tint

http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/t5/Nseries-and-S60-Smartphones/N8-C7-PURPLE-SCREEN-ISSUE-AND-HOW-TO-SPOT-IF-YOU-HAVE-IT-PLEASE/td-p/952377

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Ah yeah buxz started this over on NokiaUsers ages ago now! Good few people have the problem!

• Advertisement

@ncc1699: careful with that notifications widget, I don't think there's any way to uninstall it!!:confused:[/QUOTE]

Ok thanks for the letting me know, It was already pre-installed on my widget catalog and I've been able to remove it from my main screen and replace it with another widget so I think I'm ok.

ncc1699 wrote: »
    @ncc1699: careful with that notifications widget, I don't think there's any way to uninstall it!!:confused:

Ok thanks for the letting me know, It was already pre-installed on my widget catalog and I've been able to remove it from my main screen and replace it with another widget so I think I'm ok.[/QUOTE]

So just removing it from widgets means that you get proper text/missed calls notfications again?

Ok thanks for the letting me know, It was already pre-installed on my widget catalog and I've been able to remove it from my main screen and replace it with another widget so I think I'm ok.

So just removing it from widgets means that you get proper text/missed calls notfications again?[/QUOTE]

Yeah I just tested it. I removed the notifications widget and replaced it with the previous shortcut widgets that were there before I made the change. I sent a test text message from another phone and I rang as well and it's reverted to it's old format of displaying details of a received text message or missed call but no actual contact details. I've changed it back now to the notifications widget as I think this is better

Thanks. I'm more likely to notice it if it's a proper notification on the main screen. Maybe the problem was I had no room for the widget on my main home screen and wasn't checking the other one enough. Either way I was just using the tiny one in the top corner all the time which was annoying me.

Thanks. I'm more likely to notice it if it's a proper notification on the main screen. Maybe the problem was I had no room for the widget on my main home screen and wasn't checking the other one enough. Either way I was just using the tiny one in the top corner all the time which was annoying me.

I see what you mean, I have the notifications widget taking up one whole section on the main screen so instead of 4 shortcuts it's just one shortcut so text and phone notifications stick out fairly well. Thanks for the warning though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭g0g

Has anyone ever come across this problem with the gmail mobile program. When I click the icon I get a message saying "Application start-up failed" and an OK or Details button under it. If I click OK it just shuts the application. If I click Details I get a long string of messages starting with "Unhandled exception: java.lang.NullPointerException at java.lang.String" etc....

Resetting the phone doesn't sort it. It happened a few weeks ago and a reinstall of the application sorted it. However, that process is really annoying especially re-signing into two accounts with passwords etc.

Some googling has produced no solutions other than telling me that it's some sort of java problem which I had kinda guessed from the error message!:pac:

Any thoughts/help/ideas much appreciated!

Could you not use mobile documents or similar instead?

In saying that, I have the gmail app and dont get any errors with it. I dont use it though, as mobile documents is better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭jeremyr62

If you mean using Gmail through the Mail icon (it says Mail at the top of the screen) then it seems to work OK for me. I haven't had any problems apart from Mail for Exchange in the same programme failing. A delete mailbox and re-add sorted that out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Now that the phone has been out quite a while, how do people rate it? Primarily I'm after a phone with excellent call and signal power. I'm currently using a Desire HD and was very surprised how bad the call quality was compared to my old E71. Hence I'm thinking another Nokia as my next phone.

Read a review of the N8 and it sounded fantastic until I read a lot of the issues in this thread. Previous to the N8, I was thinking about the E7 but was left disappointed with no card slot and the loss of the FM transmitter. Never considered an FM transmitter before but would be great as my car has no aux-in for an mp3 player.

So my list of priorities are (in order):

1) Call quality and signal strength
    2) Texts
    3) Hardware keyboard over software one
    4) Good battery life
    5) Email (In: pop. Out: smtp)
    6) Browsing/Internet and so would prefer something HSUPA capable
    7) Social media (Twitter, FB etc)
    8) Would love the possibility of a Wi-Fi hotspot

Is the N8 worth getting will all the issues that seem to be coming up in this thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

So my list of priorities are (in order):

1) Call quality and signal strength
    Absolutely excellent. There's nothing better on the market for call quality. The N8 is the first phone I've got where people on the other end of the call have asked me what I was using, then commented on how good it was.

Signal strength very good, but no phone works in a blackspot :)
    2) Texts
    Pretty Good. Conversation view is present, but not as nicely done as iPhone (picture messages aren't shown in-line).
    3) Hardware keyboard over software one
    N8 has no hardware keyboard. Swype (free download) provides a good alternative to the built-in soft keyboard. There's no QWERTY keyboard in portrait orientation (but this is coming in a couple of weeks).
    4) Good battery life
    Yes. A little bit better than the Desire, but not much: 2 days is your realistic limit; three if you start turning off things to save power.
    5) Email (In: pop. Out: smtp)
    Good email support, but not the most elegant to set up or use. I wouldn't compose many mails on the phone, but it can read just about anything. Improved client due in a couple of weeks by software update.
    Third-party app "Mobile Documents" looks good as a replacement email client.
    6) Browsing/Internet and so would prefer something HSUPA capable
    Connectivity is excellent: N8 has both HSUPA, HSDPA and 802.11n/g/b WiFi. However, the built-in browser is middling to poor. Opera Mobile is better, but lacks multi-touch. All round, neither are as good as the browser you have in your Desire.
    YouTube in particular is limited to lower-quality videos (240p), due to use of Flash Lite (your Desire uses Flash 10, which is a desktop-standard system).
    7) Social media (Twitter, FB etc)
    Good built-in client that combines Twitter and Facebook. Excellent third-party Twitter clients (TwimGo, Gravity, Socially), and good FB clients(Kasvopus, Socially).
    8) Would love the possibility of a Wi-Fi hotspot
    Not built-in, but free download app JoikuSpot Lite allows you to do this. The paid version allows you to do this with access control ;)

Is the N8 worth getting will all the issues that seem to be coming up in this thread?
    From your priorities, your biggest problems will be the lack of a hard keyboard, and the awkward email and web clients.

Advertisement