Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N8 Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

KrisW wrote: »
    Absolutely excellent. There's nothing better on the market for call quality. The N8 is the first phone I've got where people on the other end of the call have asked me what I was using, then commented on how good it was.

Signal strength very good, but no phone works in a blackspot :)

Pretty Good. Conversation view is present, but not as nicely done as iPhone (picture messages aren't shown in-line).

N8 has no hardware keyboard. Swype (free download) provides a good alternative to the built-in soft keyboard. There's no QWERTY keyboard in portrait orientation (but this is coming in a couple of weeks).

Yes. A little bit better than the Desire, but not much: 2 days is your realistic limit; three if you start turning off things to save power.

Good email support, but not the most elegant to set up or use. I wouldn't compose many mails on the phone, but it can read just about anything. Improved client due in a couple of weeks by software update.
    Third-party app "Mobile Documents" looks good as a replacement email client.

Connectivity is excellent: N8 has both HSUPA, HSDPA and 802.11n/g/b WiFi. However, the built-in browser is middling to poor. Opera Mobile is better, but lacks multi-touch. All round, neither are as good as the browser you have in your Desire.
    YouTube in particular is limited to lower-quality videos (240p), due to use of Flash Lite (your Desire uses Flash 10, which is a desktop-standard system).

Good built-in client that combines Twitter and Facebook. Excellent third-party Twitter clients (TwimGo, Gravity, Socially), and good FB clients(Kasvopus, Socially).

Not built-in, but free download app JoikuSpot Lite allows you to do this. The paid version allows you to do this with access control ;)

From your priorities, your biggest problems will be the lack of a hard keyboard, and the awkward email and web clients.

Great - thanks a million for that. It seems agreat phone by all accounts but there seems to be quite a few issues in the last 10 pages or that some wouldn't expect from such a high end device. But then again, all phones have issues.

What is the speaker volume like? The Desire and HD have been piss poor when trying to take calls in the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

YouTube app quality has nothing to do with flash

Have to say I'm liking the N8 more and more. I assume it can also be charged through the MicroUSB port?

So the question is.... N8 or wait for the E7? I presume the software on each unit will be the same, just a matter of hardware (N8: FM Transmitter, MicroSD vs E7: Hardware Keyboard, Higher Res Screen, Faster CPU (?))? I'm thinking N8 tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

E7 has much lower pixel density than N8 due to same resolution screen, same processor and worse camera
    Of course both can be charged via USB

Soooo.... where's the best place to buy the N8? I'm currently thinking of going SIM free and so Pixmania (€338 ex VAT) is coming is cheapest over Clove (€360 ex VAT) and Expansys (€376 ex VAT). Prices so not include shipping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

Soooo.... where's the best place to buy the N8? I'm currently thinking of going SIM free and so Pixmania (€338 ex VAT) is coming is cheapest over Clove (€360 ex VAT) and Expansys (€376 ex VAT). Prices so not include shipping.
    I've used Expansys before with no problems. Pixmania sent me a French-language product manual last time I ordered, and never resolved the problem, but other than that were fine. Clove, I've never heard of. I've also used Phonesonline.ie last year, but their price of €395 (ex VAT) isn't great.

I lucked out.. got a SIM-free, unbranded handset when I switched to eMobile last November :)

There's very little crapware on the operator handsets, but there will be a delay in getting firmware updates. My unbranded phone had access to the last update within 3 days; my wife's O2-locked one took over a month, but at least it did get released.

KrisW wrote: »
    I've used Expansys before with no problems. Pixmania sent me a French-language product manual last time I ordered, and never resolved the problem, but other than that were fine. Clove, I've never heard of. I've also used Phonesonline.ie last year, but their price of €395 (ex VAT) isn't great.

I lucked out.. got a SIM-free, unbranded handset when I switched to eMobile last November :)

There's very little crapware on the operator handsets, but there will be a delay in getting firmware updates. My unbranded phone had access to the last update within 3 days; my wife's O2-locked one took over a month, but at least it did get released.

I'm thinking of SIM free as I'll be returning my HD to Three for a full refund and the €10 a month cheaper contract will nearly pay for the phone over 18 months. I just don't fancy being tied into another 18 month contract even though I plan to keep the phone that long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

fyi - there's a crowd in the Galway Corbett Court shopping centre, fonez.ie, who sell the N8 for 399 unlocked.

fyi - there's a crowd in the Galway Corbett Court shopping centre, fonez.ie, who sell the N8 for 399 unlocked.

Interesting.....

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

I've purchased from Clove technology in the UK before. Bought my sim free N97. Cheaper by almost €120 compared to other sites here in Ireland, even after delivery was added. Came with a few freebies thrown in.
    1st class service all round. 2nd day delivery in Dublin - ordered on Monday, had the phone in my hand on Wed 11:00am.
    I didn't get my N8 from them only because I managed to get an unbranded / sim-free one from Vodafone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Clove claim to have the E7 in stock interesting that

jimmynokia wrote: »

Says 1st stock due 26th April.

http://www.clove.co.uk/nokia-e7

Italia wrote: »
    I've purchased from Clove technology in the UK before. Bought my sim free N97. Cheaper by almost €120 compared to other sites here in Ireland, even after delivery was added. Came with a few freebies thrown in.
    1st class service all round. 2nd day delivery in Dublin - ordered on Monday, had the phone in my hand on Wed 11:00am.
    I didn't get my N8 from them only because I managed to get an unbranded / sim-free one from Vodafone.

Bought from Clove a couple of times and found them very good. Was just wondering had anyone seen it cheaper than Pixmania/Expansys/Clove

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Why's that interesting?! You had one didn't you....

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

minor upgrade available. Iplayer, anyone know about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭kirving

Yeah, got that. Don't think it'll apply to us really unless you've got a UK IP address and are having DRM problems with iPlayer.

PR1.1 for Meteor Product Code 059D7X4 out tommorow appparenly...

Ye still don't have PR1.1 yet?!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭N1one

Anyone any idea when the PR1.1 update for 3 is released?

Latest Opera browsers have been released, go to m.opera.com
    The full version now supports text reflow and pinch to zoom, I haven't tried Mini.
    Absolutely loving it and couldn't really care about Pr2 now, which also might be delayed a bit more if some of the blogs are to be believed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

Yeah, got that. Don't think it'll apply to us really unless you've got a UK IP address and are having DRM problems with iPlayer.

PR1.1 for Meteor Product Code 059D7X4 out tommorow appparenly...

About f*****g time!

Maybe now I'll be able to have a call log that remembers past yesterday and my phone won't freeze every time i use swype/turn the screen sideways/snooze an alarm/plug it in to charge/look at it sideways etc...

• Advertisement

rickyjb wrote: »
    About f*****g time!

Maybe now I'll be able to have a call log that remembers past yesterday and my phone won't freeze every time i use swype/turn the screen sideways/snooze an alarm/plug it in to charge/look at it sideways etc...

I didn't have any of those problems on Pr1.0. Is your phone locked to a provider ? You could download a generic Euro firmware via Navifirm and flash with Phoenix, that way you don't have to be stuck with some buggy branded piece of operator crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

I didn't have any of those problems on Pr1.0. Is your phone locked to a provider ? You could download a generic Euro firmware via Navifirm and flash with Phoenix, that way you don't have to be stuck with some buggy branded piece of operator crap.

I'm not an expert but how would the fact that the phone is branded lead to the issues I've been having? It's locked to meteor I think. I'm not sure what phoenix is but I assume doing that would void the warranty, which is definitely not something I'll be doing with this phone.

rickyjb wrote: »
    I'm not an expert but how would the fact that the phone is branded lead to the issues I've been having? It's locked to meteor I think. I'm not sure what phoenix is but I assume doing that would void the warranty, which is definitely not something I'll be doing with this phone.

They may have done some fiddling which might make it a bit unstable. I'm only guessing here as I didn't have any such problems on my debranded phone and while I can't speak for Meteor, I've heard of people having probs with other networks.

Flashing with Phoenix is easy, if you have downloaded N8 firmware with Navifirm and not done something silly like try and use E7 firmware it's pretty much impossible to brick it.
    But if you're worried it might be worth a try calling into a Nokia Care Centre and asking them to update you to the latest and maybe they'll flash it. I had my N97 camera lens replaced and they flashed it too the other day, both for free, and that must be over 2 years old and well out of warranty.

Just installing PR 1.2 right now!!

kmart6 wrote: »
    Ye still don't have PR1.1 yet?!

jesus meteor are way behind with updates
    best to stick to sim free models
    PR 1.2 is just released

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

is that over the air or pc update

dr ro wrote: »
    is that over the air or pc update

BOTH

jesus meteor are way behind with updates
    best to stick to sim free models
    PR 1.2 is just released
    I am on sim free and as I said before you posted had installed PR1.2!

• Advertisement

did you update ota or via pc i just tried ota and nothin available im sim free too. Did not see your post

Advertisement