Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N8 Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭kirving

http://discussions.nokia.ie/discussions/attachments/discussions/swupdate/87015/1/N8%20PR1%201%20status%20(180311)%20(1).xls

Meteor are WAY behind, I have Product Code 059D7X4, and I still haven't got PR 1.1. It's ridiculous, as they said it would be released today(Record 258). At this rate, I'll be waiting almost 2 months for every release if i get them at all!

I can only see it as being both Nokia, and Meteor's faults. The very fact that there are so many product codes is an absolute joke in itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

http://discussions.nokia.ie/discussions/attachments/discussions/swupdate/87015/1/N8%20PR1%201%20status%20(180311)%20(1).xls

Meteor are WAY behind, I have Product Code 059D7X4, and I still haven't got PR 1.1. It's ridiculous, as they said it would be released today(Record 258). At this rate, I'll be waiting almost 2 months for every release if i get them at all!

I can only see it as being both Nokia, and Meteor's faults. The very fact that there are so many product codes is an absolute joke in itself.

i have asked meteor this in their forum so lets see the result knowing them it will be 2012 by they bother replying but who knows ive asked and demanded some questions openly on their forum and got SOME results the rest answered themselves over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

you will find minor updates (1x) are often skipped for entire regions, and major updates (x0) are often skipped for carriers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

jimmynokia wrote: »
    did you update ota or via pc i just tried ota and nothin available im sim free too. Did not see your post
    OTA....for GB&I product code!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

PR1.1 for Meteor Product Code 059D7X4 out tommorow appparenly...

Where did you see this by the way? Not looking good so far...

• Advertisement

still nothing from meteor
    the N10 will be out before they do anything as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

Upgraded to PR1.2 yesterday evening.
    Is there a changelog anywhere? Maybe I'm missing something, but upgrade didn't seem to do anything on my phone.

nothin official apart from mail sync check out all about symbian for news on it

Q: What is new with this software update? What are the benefits?
    A: The primary reason for releasing this update is to address a Mail for Exchange synchronization issue. It will also include a new version of Ovi Store as well as a new version of Ovi Maps (SR6), adding visibility to subways, trams and trains, real-time traffic, safety alerts, visibility to parking and petrol stations, speed limit warnings, and improved search and location sharing capabilities.

Q: How can I update the software on my Symbian device?
    A: Go to Applications > Software update or Applications-> Tools –> Software update (depending on which model you have) on your device and download the update there over the air. You can use WiFi to avoid any additional data costs. It’s also possible to update software via Ovi Suite. (As for all electronic devices we recommend to do regular backups in case you need to restore your data.)

Q: Will the software update be pushed to users?
    A: No, this is a voluntary software update. Users who have signed up with MyNokia or enabled the software update auto-check will get a notification about the update on their homescreen and will be able to download the new software from the Software updater in their device, if and when the update is available for them.

Q: Why does the Symbian device variant in country X not have the SW update yet? What is your roll-out schedule?
    A: We first publish standard non-customised versions of the software. Country (SIM-free) and operator versions will be following soon. You can check if an update is available for you from Nokia Care.
    pS: As this is an optional release we have some countries & operators that are not taking this version!

Q: I’m on a SIM-locked device with operator X, they are not offering the update. My MfE is not synching. What can I do?
    A: We will offer this update content also as part of the PR2 software.

Q: How can I check if I have the latest SW?
    A: Go to Applications > Software update (N8, E7) / Applications > Tools > Software update (C6-01, C7), on your device and see if there are any updates available.

Q: Is the rollout of PR2 affected by this?
    A: We’ve announced we will introduce significant improvements for the Symbian UI during the first half of 2011. That schedule remains unchanged.

Q: You have promised a new SW with browser and portrait QWERTY. Why are those not available in this release?
    A: We hope that consumers will be very excited as we continue to enhance our smartphone experience in 2011. We are not stopping here but there are further improvements on the way. We anticipate the software to be available in the summer.

Yeah saw that yesterday...was floating around!!

• Advertisement

Bttery died kast night just as I was getting into bed, charged it up fully over night and when I turned it on this morning the Battery Monitor was telling me that for my 100% charge I only had 16 hours of battery life! Something seems seriously up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭kirving

Yeah, battery monitor hasn't been very accurate lately, and doesn't always work. I am messing around a bit with QT Apps though, so I'm putting errors down to that. :rolleyes:

Still no PR1.1 Update after thaey said it would be uploaded on tuesday...

check out nokias new name for the C7 (the Astound)

also check out the features we dont get in the video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW9ixOVLL14&feature=player_embedded

check out nokias reply us C7/N8 OWNERS get shafted

improvements will be added to other C7-00 variants too but unfortunately I can’t give more precise schedule for it. Hopefully before summer but I really can’t promise that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

From what I've read, that's not the full PR2.0 release; some of the features are in there, but not all.
    Can't see what you're referring to, but the "vanilla" C7s and the N8 will get all of this (without the carrier apps) when PR2.0 comes out.

The naming is a US-market thing: the carriers want named phones, and in the USA, what the carriers say is law.

portrait qwerty etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

sku_54575_1.jpgProtective Plastic Mesh Backside Case with Screen Guards + Cleaning Cloth for Nokia N8 - Black
    Buy @ DX - €1.50 delivered

Range of products for the N8 in various colours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

check out nokias new name for the C7 (the Astound)

also check out the features we dont get in the video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW9ixOVLL14&feature=player_embedded

improvements will be added to other C7-00 variants too but unfortunately I can’t give more precise schedule for it. Hopefully before summer but I really can’t promise that.

Video of the NFC capability of the C7 in use:

NFC in use

only for the astound

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

Is it worth upgrading my Nokia E72 for an N8?? Love the fact that camera is good on N8

• Advertisement

only for the astound

Yes but the Astound=C7 with tweaked firmware, so if and when PR 2.0 hits here the functionality may be enabled.
    N8 doesn't have the NFC chip so can't have that option but the other bits and pieces should be implemented.

Given how ridiculously slow the rollouts of PR1.1/1.2 are I wouldn't hold my breath though.

DonFred wrote: »
    Is it worth upgrading my Nokia E72 for an N8?? Love the fact that camera is good on N8

If you want a higher spec camera I guess it is. If you happy with the E72 then you could say why upgrade. I like both but for different reasons. Its lovely having a full time qwerty at times, and makes typing easy. The onboard qwerty just isnt the same. Thats probably the biggest thing for me. If you have any more questions, just ask

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

I dont know what to do, I like upgrading my phone every year. I like thr HTC but also with Nokia and never have any problems. My E72 is still going strong but has a crack in the screen which annoys me. Is the N8 fast and responsive?

Is the N8 fast and responsive?

On the most part yes. It can be sluggish at times and the more stuff you load on to it doesnt help it. I dont get errors or freezing that I need to reboot for.

i would go for the E5 if budget is tight the E5 is a great kit

i would go for the E5 if budget is tight the E5 is a great kit

If the budget is tight, I wouldn't change the E72 for the E5, just stick with it. If you have the cash, go for the N8 imho. Big difference between the two, and I have both

I dont know what to do, I like upgrading my phone every year. I like thr HTC but also with Nokia and never have any problems. My E72 is still going strong but has a crack in the screen which annoys me. Is the N8 fast and responsive?

Why not just change the screen on the E72?! Pretty cheap to do and relatively simple.

E72 Screen replacement video

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Hi Folks,

Without reading the 74 or so pages so far on this thread, I'm thinking of upgrading to one of these in a month or so on Meteor billpay.
    Any major issues to be worried about, as I got burned on the N97. Currently using an E72 and I really like it.

Any input would be appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

tallus wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Without reading the 74 or so pages so far on this thread, I'm thinking of upgrading to one of these in a month or so on Meteor billpay.
    Any major issues to be worried about, as I got burned on the N97. Currently using an E72 and I really like it.

Any input would be appreciated.

It's become apparent that many handsets have a purple tinge to the screen, most people probably haven't even noticed but I guess it could be very annoying if you do. Nokia are only just starting to react to it but they will replace the screen under warranty, caveat being that some Care Centres might not yet be aware of the issue and the new screens might not be widely available for a few weeks yet. I don't have it myself but some friends do but it's not something that bothers them or is hugely visible for what that's worth. Other than than I can't think of much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

Has anyone else tried the new font yet ? I've been running it since yesterday and really like it, text looks much smoother imo.

Advertisement